Quantcast Should I switch out my 485M to the 6970M? - Page 15

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Re: Should I switch out my 485M to the 6970M?

nvidia & amd both "optimize"(cheat) in driver
    but nvidia mostly commit in aa/af which cant easily figure out, amd commit in graphic very big........i prefer nvidia

same system/game setting but different card/driver:
    gts450

hd5770 see the missing grass

gts450

hd5770 see the missing shadow

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Bevil View Post
    After more than 10 years experience in gaming PCs, "assemble, selling, overclocking"
    I can only conclude that PCs equipped with an nvidia GPU last longer in the world of gaming than the competitor .
    I'm certainly not a fanboy!!! in the past i bought every four months a new vgacardt. I have purschased as much ati as nvidia graphics cards "from nvidia tnt2 - geforce2 gti - gf3 ti500 -gf 4ti xxx geforce 5700 "bad one" - gf 6600gt - gf 8800gt sli, GTX 260
    my amd collection: mach64, 3D rageII,Rage 128, radeon 7500, radeon 9600 xt, radeon 9800 Xt, radeon x800xl, radeon 1900xt, AMD 3850.
    usually sell my used graphic cards to friends, or use them in my second LANpc every time I realize that thrue the proper driver support from nvidia my old pc's are able to play new games .
    my old 8800GT SLI setup ran crysis warhead just smoothly at 1080p, 6month later I tested this game again with new drivers and I had a performance boost of more that a 35%.
    something I never had with ATI!

this is for me the reason I've opted for a 485m nvidia GTX in my new gaming laptop. maybe both are evenly matched at this time, but I'm sure this will change with time "history repeats itself" belive it or not

My GTX 485m testruns on youtube YouTube - Bevilos83's Channel
    Not a fanboy? Might want to reexamine yourself on that one. Because yeah, that must be why Nvidia is the one that has had numerous recalls / dying GPUs (8 and 9 series anyone?) on the mobility sector and on the desktop side, their drivers recently killed the GTX 590

AMD has had problems with drivers, but it hasn't been the one flat out killing cards in recent times - and the numbers speak for themsleves. AMD went from being at 20-25% market share at 2007 to now where it's nearly 40-50% of the GPU market. Nvidia has hadn't such a great track record in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreybaks View Post
    All I got to say is the amd 6970 is not budget oriented, its just the 485 is very obsurd. People fail to realize and even tell others in threads like this about nvidia offerings that had to be taken back cause of there lack of giving a reputible product, just like the 8xxx series was for the dell xps 1730. AMD nor ATI has had blundders like that and that is really there is all to say on a thread like this.

People may complain about some heatsink issue with the 5870, but from all the people I seen and all the videos I skimmed through over youtube over the past 2 years Iv never seen one of them other then tweaking mods. You can call a card up till this point sucessfull if it does not die on you in a certain a mount of years and that's what ATI did, brought a heat resistant product to the masses that they could game on there laptops with.

I guess its just apples to apples talk though, since there both the same thing video cards. I just dont want to have to pay an extra 200 dollars for an inferior product the next time I want to buy another laptop because the nvidia juggernought decided it was time to roll out another 8xxx mobility type line of cards again that burn out after a year.
    Exactly right. The 6970M isn't a budget selection - it's that the 485M's pricing is so absurd. You're paying a significant portion of money for a 5% gain at most, and if you turn on all the features the 485M has, you lose any performance advantage. And at 1920x1080, in benches, the 6970M actually climbs up to match the 485M.

Think about desktop cards. Even the top flagship cards don't cost nearly as big a premium for 5% more performance (at least, since the 8800 Ultra of 2007).

I wouldn't call the 6970M the budget choice, I'd call it the smart bang for your buck choice

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by chewietobbacca View Post
    AMD went from being at 20-25% market share at 2007 to now where it's nearly 40-50% of the GPU market. Nvidia has hadn't such a great track record in recent years.
    Please cite your source on those numbers, i'm interested in reading more.
    I cannot simply take your word on those numbers. Cite your source sir.

Quote Originally Posted by chewietobbacca View Post
    You're paying a significant portion of money for a 5% gain at most, and if you turn on all the features the 485M has, you lose any performance advantage. And at 1920x1080, in benches, the 6970M actually climbs up to match the 485M.
    Valid point. 3D will cut frame rates in half. But that happens on ANY card, desktop or laptop, AMD or NVidia. What i mean is that, if the clevo with the 6970 had a 3D out, you couldn't even argue this point.

Ill even say you can drop mentioning that 5% performance improvement. All benches coming out now say that the 6970 has the lead ever so slightly.

But will PhysX drop frames as bad as 3D? I have so far not seen anyone post a MAFIA II video running on the 485M. We cannot presume frame rates will drop by half. I won't try to guess by how much it will drop, because I like to work with facts.

I hope these are the only two other features that you are talking about. And i hope me mentioning "PhysX" doesn't get you angry again. Lets take it easy eh!

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by DGDXGDG View Post
    but nvidia mostly commit in aa/af which cant easily figure out, amd commit in graphic very big........
    I'm afraid we (or only me) lost you there.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DGDXGDG View Post
    but nvidia mostly commit in aa/af which cant easily figure out, amd commit in graphic very big........i prefer nvidia

same system/game setting but different card/driver:
    gts450

hd5770 see the missing grass

gts450

hd5770 see the missing shadow
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainlifter_k View Post
    I'm afraid we (or only me) lost you there.
    ok here

Notebook Deity

some more goole translated comments believe it or not

More exaggerated is the same as new World of Warcraft character, the screen will run World of Warcraft for a while, then clearly see the screen graphics 5770 From time to time will be slightly slower, is there significant LAG, but FPS .... but did not see fall, my colleagues, "suspect" it is because AMD's AI will automatically drop in FPS, the repeat copy paste the screen, this way the number of sheets is enough FPS, but the picture is LAG, you think about it, every 30 frames instead of stealing three terms with the copy, so you can increase performance 10% yeah. But such arguments are made in other cases users may also happen, so I can not prove the fact is, I can only say that obviously does amd graphics lag, but nv did not, and this continent with the most recent response to a lot of Internet cafes (cafe) users, AMD opened not long after the machine would require a machine to use NV may have some sort of graphics related to it.

ATI've done it before, but, rather exaggerated the recent reform, even after the driver 10.2 so that users can not turn off AI, that no matter what you run, he will help you "optimize", as to what Stolen, sorry ~ it is not you can decide, perhaps material change bad, maybe something less .................

Notebook Deity

Notebook Geek

Wow, 15 pages! I have some questions and I'm sorry if they already been asked.

1.)Upgradeable! Can the 485M be upgraded to the next series GPU chip? As far as I know, this is unknown territory so far, but if so, then this alone might be worthy of the $250 because of the future proofing feature. If you go ATi/AMD, you can't come back to nvidia & vise versa, so keep that in mind.

2.) Folding! If you are a folder (F@H for example) then the 485M is your ticket to more PPD.

3.) Thermals! How hot does one chip get over the other. Hotter chips might not be so great for your notebooks internal ambient temps. Do we have max temps on the 6970 yet?

4.) Overclocking ability! We know the 485M will overclock to 660Mhz on most units, but what about the 6970? How flexible is it when pushed to the limits?
    Asus Z70va | 2.0GHz Pentium-M 760 | 80GB 7200rpm |15.4" WSXGA | ATI x700 | 2GB DDR2 PC4200 |SOLD

Sager NP8170 | i7-2820QM | 8GB DDR3 | GTX 485M | 750GB 7200RPM | 6X Blue-Ray | Win 7 Pro |

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by RKG72MP View Post
    Wow, 15 pages! I have some questions and I'm sorry if they already been asked.

1.)Upgradeable! Can the 485M be upgraded to the next series GPU chip? As far as I know, this is unknown territory so far, but if so, then this alone might be worthy of the $250 because of the future proofing feature. If you go ATi/AMD, you can't come back to nvidia & vise versa, so keep that in mind.
    Says who? Because who the hell made this one up? You can upgrade from ATI/AMD to Nvidia and vice versa with the 8150/8170. There is no restriction here

2.) Folding! If you are a folder (F@H for example) then the 485M is your ticket to more PPD.

3.) Thermals! How hot does one chip get over the other. Hotter chips might not be so great for your notebooks internal ambient temps. Do we have max temps on the 6970 yet?

4.) Overclocking ability! We know the 485M will overclock to 660Mhz on most units, but what about the 6970? How flexible is it when pushed to the limits?
    2) Yes, it's well known folding@home is better w/ Nvidia hardware, but if you're worried about keeping your notebook longevity (seeing as how you asked question #3), i wouldn't f@h on a notebook at all unless you're planning on using a notebook cooler. Besides, if you really do actually fold and want to do so, spend the $250 on a desktop GPU and run it on the desktop, and get far more performance

3) Anandtech's reviews say its fine, there haven't been reports of it doing bad w/ the Alienware's either and no one's reported otherwise on it doing bad compared w/ the 485M. And if you are planning on Folding, then the 485M is far more likely to tax your heat on your notebook than the 6970M

4) People have clocked it high, check out the Alienware M17xR3 forums

Again, the fact of the matter is, the 485M's only bonus features are the only difference between it and the 6970M. If you do not fold/CUDA/physX, the 485M's $250 price tag is hefty for < 5% difference in performance.

Notebook Geek

{quote}Says who? Because who the hell made this one up? You can upgrade from ATI/AMD to Nvidia and vice versa with the 8150/8170. There is no restriction here{quote}

1.)O.K, my bad, but...chewietobbacca...can you please back that statement up though? This is interesting in itself if true. Are you saying the socket on the motherboard of the 8170 can take either chip?

2 +3.)Yes, I have a desktop w/ SLi and I do fold often. I'm not worried if my GPU is sitting around 70*c, but 80*c and I get concerned. If I planned on folding on my new toy, I'd definitely have a notebook cooler to keep internal ambient temps from reckon havoc on my HDD/SDD & memory.

4.)I noticed that after I already posted the above, quite impressive. Seems the 6970 can overclock quite well, but again, the temps start to get out of hand past 700mhz. Now, I'm on the fence! damit! that $200 dollar savings is quite tempting to say the least. What I really want is something that will play the current modern games and last me longer then the damn X700 I purchased back in 05. I have had nvidia in all my desktops, and ATi in all my notebooks and neither have giving me grief outside of gaming.

One last thing that people forget about with all these benchmarks comparing the two chips. Not which one gives use the highest peak Frames in games, but which ones gives use the "average FPS" in games is the key selling point. I would love to see detail graphs of all these games showing min-max-& average, that's the proper way to really see who is king of the hill.
    Asus Z70va | 2.0GHz Pentium-M 760 | 80GB 7200rpm |15.4" WSXGA | ATI x700 | 2GB DDR2 PC4200 |SOLD

Sager NP8170 | i7-2820QM | 8GB DDR3 | GTX 485M | 750GB 7200RPM | 6X Blue-Ray | Win 7 Pro |