Quantcast Any Reviews and Experiences with LG screen LP173WF1 (as built stock in my new x7200) ? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Any Reviews and Experiences with LG screen LP173WF1 (as built stock in my new x7200) ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmarchid View Post
    How do you get your barebone without the LCD? I didn't know that the resellers are actually installing the LCD before shipping.
    I think he means for those vendors that let you choose an upgraded screen, to skip that and just get the basic screen.

Question to everyone.. What would be the best screen to replace the x7200's LG with?? It looks like I'll be ordering a screen separate and paying to have mine replaced.

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Any Reviews and Experiences with LG screen LP173WF1 (as built stock in my new x7200) ?

check my last post here: How to disassembly display in Clevo P170HM/Sager NP8170 ?

PS: all of us "LG LP173WF1-TLC1-unhappy" should gather and make an official complaint to Clevo, the resellers that don't say how crap the screen is, and make a petition to destroy all existing screens of this type left in the world. Or something like that.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by ignorant View Post
    check my last post here: How to disassembly display in Clevo P170HM/Sager NP8170 ?

PS: all of us "LG LP173WF1-TLC1-unhappy" should gather and make an official complaint to Clevo, the resellers that don't say how crap the screen is, and make a petition to destroy all existing screens of this type left in the world. Or something like that.
    I see that the AU Optronics B173HW01 v4 is lookin like the best screen option.

Notebook Retailer

Yes, but I think it's cause up to some time ago there was a different screen coming with the X7200, the Hannstar HSD173PUW1, while now the barebones coem with the LG LP173WF1-TLC1. Check this review here: Review mySN XMG U700 ULTRA GTX 470M SLI Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews
    "The display has in the past been one of the Clevo Barebone's greatest strengths. In our last review, the mySN XMG U700 ULTRA was furnished with the high-quality Hannstar HSD173PUW1 display with a black value of under 0.2 cd/mē and an excellent contrast of over 1000:1. It's a mystery to us why Clevo has now chosen to swap out this good display. In short, the LG LP173WF1-TLC1 panel in place here is several grades below the Hannstar."
    In that review it's not a Kobalt, but as we know it's based on the same Clevo model. So, perhaps all the compliments you guys received refer to when that other screen was used? Not that I've got all the data in hand to say, but I would think that's the case. Cause over here, I haven't seen anyone praising the LG LP173WF1-TLC1, only people going to spend more money just to get rid of it, like me.
    Im not going to get into a "its good its bad" arguement only to say that I have been using one of our G970x's with that screen and cant see a problem, None of our other customers have said anything but praise for the screens that come with the G970x, even those that have the same screen as the one you guys dont like.

I would also re-iterate that not only for our customers but everyone, Clevo, dell whoeever that by removing the screen you risk invalidating your warranty.
    Given up, doesnt care anymore

Notebook Guru

Pman, just see this picture here, it's from another user but it's the same LG screen that all of us are unhappy with. I don't see how that can look good. And there's no picture I can take to show it, but I can clearly see thin horizontal lines running from side to side in the whole monitor area.
    If you check the specs for this screen, among the other things you will see that it has an extremely limited viewing angle (exactly 10/30/40/40 up/down/left/right in degrees). That makes it so that there is no real good viewing angle for this screen, unless you keep your head perfectly still in front of the center of the monitor.

Also, could you perhaps send some links to where people have been praising this (the LG) screen?

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Pman View Post
    I have been using one of our G970x's with that screen and cant see a problem
    Well, let me offer some assistance:

Tastes differ indeed, Pman, nevertheless I can definitely see a problem and I do have a problem with what the picture above illustrates. Clevo stock panel might appear to be a superb, high-end lcd screen to you (no problem with that) - yet it might be way less for another person using the laptop.

I guess it also explains all those customers which did not say anything but praise for the LP173WF1-TLC1. There are, indeed, worse screens around - and I've seen quite a few. Yet, since we are unaware of whichever panels those customers were using before - we cannot do anything with the information, since it fails to prove anything at all (at least for me).

Once again - the LP173WF1-TLC1 is not the most abysmal lcd panel ever made. But does it make it suitable for an expensive, unique, custom piece of equipment? Not even close.

I have no doubt that I will eventually pay whatever amount it takes to get rid of the LP173WF1-TLC1 screen (and I do not even use the laptop display at all). My support for Ignorant's cause ends here, though - since the only petition I am willing to send Clevo - is the one full of praise and admiration, the amount of thought, research and innovation implemented in their computers can scarcely be overestimated. The screen is crappy - that is true, but pioneers of technology are entitled to whatever whims they see fit.
    Last edited by cortomaltese; 31st March 2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Sager NP7280 - i7-950 / 2x470m SLI / 12GB / X25-M 120GB SSD / X25-M 120GB SSD / 500GB HDD
    Alienware M11xR1 - Core Duo U4100 / GT 335m / 4GB / 300GB HDD
    Vaio VGN-TX850P - Core Solo U1400 / GMA 950 / 1366x768 XBrite display

Notebook Guru

Cortomaltese, did you make that comparing picture yourself? If so, how? The best way I had to compare two pictures as seen outside the monitor was to take a picture with a digital camera, but that didn't come out really good.
    The whole petition story was more sarcastic that anything else, but I do wish that Kobalt would had let me know what kind of screen I was going to get.

Notebook Consultant

Cortomaltese, did you make that comparing picture yourself? If so, how?
    Yep, merely used my communicator cam The pic is merely intended to give the overall idea - so I thought any quality would succeed.

I do wish that Kobalt would had let me know what kind of screen I was going to get.
    Well, XoticPC gave me the exact information on the panel upon request - so I totally knew what to expect, and the screen replacement was decided upon long before I received the notebook .
    Sager NP7280 - i7-950 / 2x470m SLI / 12GB / X25-M 120GB SSD / X25-M 120GB SSD / 500GB HDD
    Alienware M11xR1 - Core Duo U4100 / GT 335m / 4GB / 300GB HDD
    Vaio VGN-TX850P - Core Solo U1400 / GMA 950 / 1366x768 XBrite display

Notebook Retailer

I can't send you links as they have been comments in emails to our company, my main point was that no one has ever complained about the screens before now.

but I do wish that Kobalt would had let me know what kind of screen I was going to get.
    If anyone wants to know which screens are in the chassis before purchasing then we will be more than happy to provide this information. Similarly if you want to upgrade the screen we do offer this option - for example you can upgrade to an AUO B173HW01 v4 glossy panel if you wish!
    Given up, doesnt care anymore

Notebook Guru

I can't send you links as they have been comments in emails to our company, my main point was that no one has ever complained about the screens before now.
    So now it sounds more like no one has complained about this screen rather than people actually praising it. Already different. Also, maybe nobody complained about the screens up to now cause now it's when the first X7200 have started being shipped with the LG rather than the Hannstar?

If anyone wants to know which screens are in the chassis before purchasing then we will be more than happy to provide this information.
    Yes, I understand I could have asked Kobalt about the specs of the screen, but what I meant was that I wish Kobalt would let customers know the specifications of the display by listing them in the Tech Specs page here, rather than just listing "Screen: 17.3" Full HD 16:9 1920 x 1080 LED Backlit X-Glass Screen".

(Oh and, Pman, not that I was gonna make an issue with customer service about this, but since we're here, where's my Kensington Lock? It didn't come with the laptop but it's listed in the Tech Specs page.)

Similarly if you want to upgrade the screen we do offer this option - for example you can upgrade to an AUO B173HW01 v4 glossy panel if you wish!
    For how much?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast