Quantcast how to flash your bios with dos using a usb stick:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mastershake

Default how to flash your bios with dos using a usb stick:

WILL BE UPDATING THIS THREAD now that i can edit it.. i have new info and some new boot files for those stubborn bios' that dont like himem.sys

also a how to tell what command to use to flash different bios' for different types (afudos, phoenix etc) etc... will hopefully be done this weekend..

this is a very easy and simple process.. and here's how..

first get yourself a usb stick. they are so cheap now imo everyone should have at least one of them instead of a floppy drive.

you will need to download 2 pieces of software in order to do this. ive uploaded both of them for you.

the first is a small utility from hp to make a usb stick bootable:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/112382685/SP27608.zip

the second is the actual bootable files you need to add to the usb stick:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/112382778/bootme.zip

this can also be done with any burning program that can burn a bootable cd/dvd disc. once you select make the disc bootable you will need to add the bootme files to that disc.

Making a bootable DOS USB Key:

first: Extract and nstall the HP USB Drive program.

second: Extract the DOS boot files somewhere just remember where you extracted them. Let's for now say we extracted them to C:\bootme\ (if you do not have this directory it will prompt if it should make it answer yes or extract them someplace you know where they will be. remember we will need to find these in a minute)

third: Now run the hp utility. VISTA: You need to start the HP Drive Key Program as an administrator by RIGHT CLICKING the icon and selecting "Run as Administrator".

fourth: Insert a USB stick and it should install the drivers automatically if this is the first time using it, if not they should already be installed now.

fifth: in the hp "drive key" program Choose FAT32 as the filesystem. call the volume whatever you want i call mine dosboot, but it doesn't matter. Under "Format Options" check the box next to "Quick Format" and "Create a DOS startup disk" . Choose the button next to "Using DOS system files located at:" and click the little browse button "..." next to the blank and navigate to C:\bootme (or wherever you extracted the DOS boot files earlier). Click OK.

Now click "Start" and the HP Drive Key utility will turn your USB device into a bootable DOS disk! It will popup a window asking you to confirm! answer ok and it will continue.

now if you check the usb stick there should be 3 files installed on it. command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys. if you do not see them you may have to unhide them if they are "hidden" files. or just simply dont worry about it they are there now so no big deal.

personally i like to make a folder on the stick for my new files. but this does require changing to that directory once at the c: prompt. so for this example lets make a folder on the stick called "clevo". now copy the files for flashing to the stick in this folder you just made.

now you are ready to flash.

reboot your system and it should recognize the usb stick. it if bypasses it and goes right to windows you will need to reboot and enter the bios. for this example the sager uses the f2 key for this. so reboot and hit f2 when prompted.

once in the bios move over to the boot tab. here you will be able to move up or down the order of you boot devices. make sure the "usb stick" is before any of your hdd's or cd/dvd drives. for now lets make it first on the list. now tab to the exit tab (i believe thats what it is in the bios.. its the last one) move down to save and exit and hit enter.

this time it will reboot to the usb stick and you are now at a c: prompt. for our example we will need to move to the directory where we put or bios files to flash with which was "clevo". to do this we type cd\ clevo and then hit enter. now you will be at a prompt the says c:\clevo>

this is where our files are we need.

now you will type at the c:\clevo> prompt "refresh" without the quotes and hit enter. this will automaticaly start your flash. sit back and wait and enjoy the annoying beeps and when it finishes hit any key to reboot. if for some reason it does not reboot when prompted to hit any key simply turn off the system and turn it back on.

if for some reason the refresh command does not start your flash you will need to use the phlash16 command.

to do this again we will need to be at the c:\clevo> prompt and now simply type "phlash16" again without the quotes and hit enter. this method is used usually only if the version you are flashing is newer than what is on the system. but normally the refresh command works either way.

once again when prompted to hit any key pick one to hit and it will reboot. now you NEED TO REMOVE THE USB STICK FOR IT TO BOOT TO WINDOWS!!! or it will boot back to the c: prompt once again.

thats all there is to it. pretty easy imo. if you have any questions please ask.
    Last edited by zfactor; 22nd April 2009 at 09:26 PM.
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/246530-how-flash-your-bios-dos-using-usb-stick.html new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1
    laptop lol which one... we have 8 currently at home..
    Meatwad you're up next, with your knock-knock.
    Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G. Drivin in my car, living like a star ice on my fingers and my toes, and im a taurus

Lazy as the Day is Long

Default Re: how to flash your bios with dos using a usb stick:

Thanks z!

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the directions. I managed to update to .08 with no problems.

Isn't the new bios supposed to come with fan controls though? (pressing fn+3 in windows doesn't seem to do anything, are the controls hidden in the bios or something?).

9262 is the best:)

Good article.

Mastershake

fn+1 once is hig setting, fn+1 twice is auto setting

Fn+3: Mid Fan Speed (however fan will still automatically adjust speed up to full speed if temperature reaches our preset High throttle point, and back to Mid speed when cooled down.) i.e normal setting

Fn+2: remains as system original default to enable / disables SRS audio.
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530 new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1
    Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G. Drivin in my car, living like a star ice on my fingers and my toes, and im a taurus

HighSpeedFreak

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster1 View Post
    Thanks z!
    Wow Shyster1 , running out of speeches?
    Z,awesome work. I feel more confident knowing that there is a guide how to do this, since the hour of the 8800M GTX is at hand

Laptop GUIDE(temps,perf. etc)
    DELL XPS M1730 - 9800M GTX SLI, X9000(3.6), 4Gb RAM,15506 3dmark06,WUXGA,640 GB and light FX,
    Razer DeathAdder with Razer Exact mat and Razer Barracuda Headsets
    Vote for a new BIOS with fan control for XPS 1730!

Mastershake

hahaha so you ordered one i assume!! you will love it if you did!!
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530 new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1

HighSpeedFreak

Not yet, but I will in late June/early july after the last finals.
    I`m getting the upgraded mobo and a new CPU also probably since I won`t have the time to do it myself and I`ll be pretty busy after that.
    Thinking about either a T9500 or better if chance will show up...

DELL XPS M1730 - 9800M GTX SLI, X9000(3.6), 4Gb RAM,15506 3dmark06,WUXGA,640 GB and light FX,

Lazy as the Day is Long

Quote Originally Posted by eleron911 View Post
    Wow Shyster1 , running out of speeches?
    Z,awesome work. I feel more confident knowing that there is a guide how to do this, since the hour of the 8800M GTX is at hand
    Orator without a cause...what are you speechifying about, I dunno, whaddya got?

HighSpeedFreak

Say Z, can you get the BIOS screen in a different color? Like,red or pink for that matter?

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast