Quantcast OFFICIAL Statement regarding the Sager NP9260 (Clevo D900C/D901C) Quad Core Information

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Retailer

Default OFFICIAL Statement regarding the Sager NP9260 (Clevo D900C/D901C) Quad Core Information

This is the OFFICIAL Statement regarding the Sager NP9260 (Clevo D900C/D901C) Quad Core Information:

THE LATEST UPDATE ON THE QUADCORE IS NOW LOCATED AT OFFICIAL Statement regarding the Sager NP9260 (Clevo D900C/D901C) Quad Core Information

"D900C: Blue Case
    D901C: Black Case (Sager NP9260)

We want to explain to our customers the reason why we are not using the Q6600 Quad Core processor in our NP9260 unit, and why modifying your unit by adding that processor will void your warranty and release Sager from all liability relating to the malfunctioning of the unit.

While Sager does its best to bring leading technology to our customers, we can not ignore the lab test result from Clevo.

Per Sagerís request Clevo has conducted multiple tests to determine whether the Q6600 Quad Core processor is usable in the current Sager NP9260 (Clevo D901C Black color). While the system will accept the processor and boot up, due to hardware specifications it will cause system failure if used long term.

While you may have read that the Intel X6800 and the Q6600 are very similar in thermal and wattage, that is not the case. Reports showing these similarities have not been run in real life applications and uncontrolled environmental conditions.

The fact is:

Intel X6800 is a 75 watt sku
    Intel Q6600 is a 105 watt sku

This puts the Intel Q6600 Quad Core 30 watts over specification. This can increase by an additional 10 to 15 watts under extreme max load conditions. This wattage increase brings additional heat and often will be combined with environmental temperature. A few benchmarks simply do not show the real world long term effect on the system.

Rest assured that we are constantly working to use the latest and greatest technology in our units. And we have requested Clevo to continue working to enable Quad-Core functionality. However, we are also committed to providing our customers with a product that will work reliably in the long term. In this case, using the Q6600 in the NP9260 would not accomplish that goal."
    Last edited by paladin44; 7th August 2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Latest UPDATE
    Donald@PowerNotebooks.com | Phone: 877-711-1777 - CALL US FOR NOTEBOOKREVIEW ACTIVE MEMBER DISCOUNTS

Custom Built Sager, MSI, PowerPro, ASUS and Alienware Laptop computers, and Custom Built Crown Desktop Computers
    ResellerRatings.com Customer Satisfaction Rating = 10/10 - Better Business Bureau A+ Rated

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: OFFICIAL Statement regarding the Sager NP9260 (Clevo D900C/D901C) Quad Core Information

WOW.. thats impressive. Now thats what I call Quality Control and True Inhouse testing.. Plus that will keep RMA's down.. but thats still cool.

NBR Resident Assistant

Default Re: OFFICIAL Statement regarding the Sager NP9260 (Clevo D900C/D901C) Quad Core Information

Thanks Donald for the official word from Sager.

The math seems correct.

In any case, the Quad Core Q6600 is technically compatible in the D900C.... however the question of long term stability and use from any excess heat or power consumption is hard to find an answer to.

I have been doing the math (power usage) for this unit when it first came out.

My interpretation:
    The notebook was originally designed to have:
    -- CPU: desktop Core 2 Duo/Xtreme
    -- HDD: up to 3 internal
    -- Videocards: up to dual SLI-mode videocards (using new modular design)

The notebook now:
    -- CPU: compatible with Quad-core Q6600 (approx 30-40 more watts than X6800)
    -- Videocards: (though not official through Clevo yet) new enthusiast Geforce 8M's (8700, 8800, etc...) have been discussed at Computex that shows a 22W+ envelope... which would make it plausible to be used in the new [next-gen] Clevo notebooks.

Therefore (theoretically)... If you were to use a single videocard (giving you an extra 25+ watt buffer) and use the Quad-core Q6600, the system would theoretically be healthy for long term use. I cannot say for having SLI and the Q6600 together since the math shows it pushing the envelope.

In any case, this notebook should still be considered the world's first Quad-Core notebook... making it faster than it was initially perceived.
    EDIT: though it may be the first Quad-core supported notebook, its does not seem to be recommended from Sager... as well as from myself.

These are all unofficial interpretations, but I have been pondering about this for quite some time now..

Final Thoughts:
    Glad to see that Sager has stepped up to show their concerns as well.... I would like go along with their recommendation and also say that its not a good idea to use a Quad-core CPU in this notebook.

Thanks again Donald.

-Gophn
    Last edited by Gophn; 11th June 2007 at 05:50 PM.

| Giveaway: More coming..
    Most popular articles: What is the best notebook brand?.. Exposed. | E3 2009: Booth Girls | Star Wars: The Old Republic - Interview
    VirtualBox - F.A.Q., Tutorial & Guide | Black Friday 2009 - I show you how to NOT wait in line | Xbox 360's for under $100 ... Yay!

Notebook Retailer

Gophn...please re read the notice and possibly amend your comments.

"...we are also committed to providing our customers with a product that will work reliably in the long term. In this case, using the Q6600 in the NP9260 would not accomplish that goal."
    Donald@PowerNotebooks.com | Phone: 877-711-1777 - CALL US FOR NOTEBOOKREVIEW ACTIVE MEMBER DISCOUNTS

Custom Built Sager, MSI, PowerPro, ASUS and Alienware Laptop computers, and Custom Built Crown Desktop Computers
    ResellerRatings.com Customer Satisfaction Rating = 10/10 - Better Business Bureau A+ Rated

Notebook Retailer

Sager prepared this statement not only for resellers but for our review of the 9260 that will be posted in the next 24 hours. We have experienced issues with the Q6600 during our testing and will be posting the details of shortly...
    Last edited by Justin@XoticPC; 11th June 2007 at 05:46 PM.

NBR Reviewer

Thanks for the update Donald, glad to finally get a truthful word about the topic with enough detail so hopefully people won't challenge why the decision stands.

Some people *cough*Gophn*cough* might still be pushing for support early though.
    PowerPro L 8:15 Ultra
    15.4" WSXGA+ "Matte" LCD with Go7600 w/256MB.
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz w/ Arctic Silver 5.9
    2GB DDR2/667 Memory, 120GB SATA150 5400RPM
    Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG, 9-Cell Smart Li-ion Battery.
    SimplyMepis 64 v7 / WinXP x64 Pro

NBR Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@XoticPC View Post
    Sager prepared this statement not only for resellers but for our review of the 9260 that will be posted in the next 24 hours. We have experienced issues with the Q6600 during our testing that will be posting the details of shortly...
    Can't wait for your review! Thanks Justin
    PowerPro L 8:15 Ultra
    15.4" WSXGA+ "Matte" LCD with Go7600 w/256MB.
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz w/ Arctic Silver 5.9
    2GB DDR2/667 Memory, 120GB SATA150 5400RPM
    Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG, 9-Cell Smart Li-ion Battery.
    SimplyMepis 64 v7 / WinXP x64 Pro

NBR Resident Assistant

I know I know, I am just enthused about stuff like this.

I already added the EDIT about this notebook is not being recommended for Quad-core use.

Maybe Clevo will release a new revision that will give more power ... *grunt* *grunt* *grunt*

Here's hoping for a true Quad-core notebook... can't wait to see Clevo's version of the D900C for the AMD Phenom X4's.
    Last edited by Gophn; 11th June 2007 at 05:52 PM.

| Giveaway: More coming..
    Most popular articles: What is the best notebook brand?.. Exposed. | E3 2009: Booth Girls | Star Wars: The Old Republic - Interview
    VirtualBox - F.A.Q., Tutorial & Guide | Black Friday 2009 - I show you how to NOT wait in line | Xbox 360's for under $100 ... Yay!

Notebook Retailer

That is not surprising that you are having difficulties Justin.

What everyone should keep in mind is that:
    1. Even if you just run a single GPU does not mean that the thermal (heat) dissipation necessary for the CPU could be "deducted" from that which the GPU is not generating. The Quad will still over stress the CPU area's thermal capability in hot conditions (summer days, Middle East desert etc.) when under heavy gaming or engineering use.
    2. The 22 Watt estimate of the video is not supported by nVIDIA or the laptop manufacturers. Paper specs are rarely accurate in real world conditions and applications.
    3. Even IF the 22 Watt is accurate (which is highly doubtful) it does not take into consideration the transistors and capacitor on the GPU board, or the memory wattage which when all added together could take it up to 45+ Watts.

NBR Lead Moderator

Thanks for posting this information Donald. I really don't see much of an advantage to quad-core processors right now - if you need that kind of power, you should be looking at a desktop system anyway. If the X6800 isn't powerful enough then I don't know what will be.

Very much looking forward to your review Justin.

I'm currently typing on a Clevo D900C myself and I have to say, it is an awesome machine.
    Lead Moderator for TechnologyGuide Communities
    Brighthand | NotebookReview | TabletPCReview
    hp EliteBook 8740w - 17" DreamColor 2, Win 8.1 Pro, Core i5, 8GB RAM, ATI FirePro M7820, Intel SSD

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast