Quantcast **M980NU (X1/Commanche SLI/NP9850) Owners Thread** - Page 137

+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1696
    Music, Media, Game

Default Re: **M980NU (X1/Commanche SLI/NP9850) Owners Thread**

Quote Originally Posted by theLazyLion View Post
    Hey guys!
    My order of this beast just got in!

Lovin it so much.
    What drivers n stuff do you guys recommend?

also i've been noticing a random stutter that happens every once in a while. I'm going to install a fresh bloatware free version of win7 on another hd to see if it stutters there or not, if so then it's probably one of sagers drivers messing around :P

anyone already know the solution to this? I can't be bothered to read through 136 pages :\
    Fresh install of Win7 bloat free, drivers off of Sager site for everything except fingerprint scanner and video. Win7 can win update find a driver for the fingerprint scanner and video I'd use either the 186.81 or 195.62 WHQLs right now.

What sort of stutter do you experience, is it everything freezing, or purely the audio with pops/crackles/stutters?

If its the audio wierdness and messups, then there's no official fix right now, although Nvidia/Clevo are looking into it. I'm testing my own temporary work-around but I'm still validating it (want to make sure it doesnt fail over this weekend when I'm not in work), and even if it works on my machine, I can't guarantee it'll work on anyone elses, especially if they have a slightly different driver setup etc.
    Last edited by Alexrose1uk; 12th December 2009 at 07:27 AM.

I7-2700K@4.4, 16GB DDR3, Crucial M4 128GB, 2TB HDD, BDRW, 6870 1GB, Total Bithead DAC.
    Guide to reducing M980NU audio stuttering/DPC Latency:http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...postcount=1363

Music, Media, Game

Quote Originally Posted by isamu View Post
    It's funny because I too, get sound crackling for no reason sometimes on my old Sager Notebook, the SP-9860. It's an old, beat up 5 yr old dinosaur but you would think Clevo would improve their design of these machines regarding sound output by now. Why oh why are they still using RealTek??? C'mon Clevo, work something out with Creative and start putting a SoundBlaster chip in your machines!
    It's not the actual sound chip that causing basic faint background noise, that's lack of shielding and electrical noise, and really depends on the machine, mobo etc. Putting a creative chip straight into the same position wouldnt necessarily cure the issues at all, many desktop mobos with realtek chips suffer no background noise via headphones at all, whereas others do, and its largely a design and shielding issue [not an issue with the actual realtek chip itself]. (and in comparison to Creative, Realtek drivers are usually reasonably solid). Apart from C-media, and the likes of Asus/Creative, Realtek are really the major player in the vast majority of onboard audio for computers these days; it's not like there are a huge number of viable competitors!

With the M980NU, like the M17x for some people, there's a major crackling/popping/stuttering issue with audio, which isn't your normal background noise like you might find on an average machine, so a slightly different issue, well if you're talking about what I think you are (minor crackling/hissing etc background noise).
    Last edited by Alexrose1uk; 12th December 2009 at 07:30 AM.

I7-2700K@4.4, 16GB DDR3, Crucial M4 128GB, 2TB HDD, BDRW, 6870 1GB, Total Bithead DAC.
    Guide to reducing M980NU audio stuttering/DPC Latency:http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...postcount=1363

Music, Media, Game

Right, Im happily almost stutter-free since Thursday, so here's a new version of my tweak workaround to try until we get an official response to the audio stutter etc problem

PS. I am on W7 64bit and am using the High Performance power profile, I'd recommend switching to this before trying out the guide. I'd also recommend starting with a fresh install of the drivers, to ensure you've got no remnants hanging around which might interfere or contribute to the problem. I'm also using the latest 15.50 chipset drivers, latest .06 bios and latest audio drivers as per Sager for the machine. Whether these make a difference I dont know, but worth bearing in mind

You will need:
    195.62 WHQL Nvidia Notebook drivers
    GPU-Z
    DPC Latency Checker

1. Clean install the 195.62 WHQL drivers
    2. Enable SLI
    2. Open the NV Control Panel (henceforth refered to as NVCP)
    3. Go to Manage 3d Settings, and then the Global Settings Tab
    4. Scroll down until you find Power Management Mode

5. Change the option to Prefer Maximum Performance, but DO NOT SAVE/APPLY yet.
    6. Open GPU-Z and change to the sensors tab. Using the card select menu at the bottom toggle between the two cards rapidly. Both cards should switch to full clock speeds.

7. Click the save/apply button in NVCP quickly before either cards clock back down (if you're too slow it won't save/lock with both cards at full speed which is important)
    8. Restart the machine.
    9. Press the Windows Key and R to open the run menu. Type Regedit.
    10. If it asks you to permit it to allow the programme to make changes, accept.
    11. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet \Control\Video
    12. In here there should be lots of entries, with system generated names.
    13. Look through the entries, and sort out which ones have a 0000 and 0001 sub entry.
    14. Once you've found all of these, open up the 0000 sub-entry and see what's inside them (we won't need to touch the 0001 entries). Most of them will look like/similar to this:

15. One of the entries should look different, and have a lot more entries:

16. Now we've found this entry, scroll to the bottom, and in the key window, right click, select new and make a new DWORD. (the 32bit one)
    17. Name it PerfLevelSrc (note the capitals are important in all these new Dwords so make sure to include them!)
    18. Double click the new entry and write 2222 as the value and click OK.

19. Now make an entry called PowerMizerEnable, open it and set the value to 0.
    20. Make another entry called PowerMizerLevel, open it and set it to the value 1.
    21. Make the final new entry called PowerMizerLevelAC, open it and also set it to 1.
    22. Close regedit, and then reopen it. Your new entries should now look like the below (and should have been carbon copied into the 0001 entry):

`

23. Close regedit again if they're fine. Bring up the run menu again and type services.msc and open it.
    24. Scroll down and find Nvidia Display Driver Service, and double click it. Change the Startup type to Disabled. Click the stop button. Once the service has stopped click OK.

25. Restart the machine.
    26. Once Windows has started again, and open GPU-Z, change to the sensors tab as earlier and toggle between the cards a few times.
    27. Open DPC Latency Checker. Load Windows Media Player and run a few songs. You should find you no longer get any stutters, and the bars in DPC latency checker wont go massively into the red anymore in normal usage (benchmarking/windows experience index testing etc may be different! I got a maximum of about 3000 microseconds, leaving it running in the background for two hours whilst I listened to some music and played about an hour of Borderlands, it used to regularly hit 57k)
    28. Repeat the GPU-Z toggle (stage 26) each time you boot windows.
    29. Enjoy a completely stutter free experience

There you go guys.

The above has worked fine for me, the service disabling and GPU-Z toggling on each windows might only be placebo/psychological but the above has worked perfectly for me since Thursday and many hours of system use and restarts.

Oh if you load DPC latency checker whilst windows is still loading as soon as you hit the desktop, you might occasionally get a few spikes when windows is loading everything, but once the initial load has completed, everything should be A-OK, and you should experience no more audio issues during general use
    -------------------------------------------------
    NOTE FROM NBR MOD:
    Be aware disabling NVIDIA's PowerMizer will produce higher thermals. NV Mobile GPUs have PowerMizer to reduce thermals and provide max battery time.

Do this at your own risk.

-------------------------------------------------
    Note from the author:
    When I wrote up this guide for people on the Kobalt Forum and then here, it was assumed you are technically savvy enough to understand roughly what is being done and the effect this will have. Idle temps will generally rise about 5-10 degrees C, and this guide is provided as a band-aid, at your own risk. Chances of damage are minimal whilst you are waiting for a proper resolution, using it as a permanent fix however would not be recommended because of the rise in temperature and associated power usage and the effects this could have over long term use.

PS. Can anyone see the irony in this being linked to from Endgadget in regards to the M17x, when its actually a guide written around a Clevo M980NU chassis, that just happens to be relevant to the M17x too?
    I'm just glad if it helps someone live with thier machine until they can get a permanent fix for the issue!
    Last edited by Alexrose1uk; 21st February 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

I feel like we've all been so quiet lately! I still can't get my touch buttons to work in Win7, completely baffled. If anyone can tell my precisely what to uninstall and reinstall I'd appreciate it I also found out that you cannot update the firmware on my SSD in the laptop. The bios update won't find it which stinks, something about the controller card used.

Music, Media, Game

Hi Madpoet, it may be possible to flash your SSD (like flashing the firmware on the DVDRW) but would involve a little working around as I'm guessing it can't install/doesn't detect in RAID/AHCI mode? (I'm presuming you have a DOS firmware update?)

Have you tried downloading the latest version of the hotkey software from Sager's site (there's a link I hosted in another thread with audio and the hotkey driver as a pack which I hosted on mediafire IIRC), also if it crashes under Win7, if you get it to tell you why, it may indicate which .dll crashes it, in my case I found fraps set to load at bootup was killing it.

Regards the SSD flashing, read the following, and try adapting, it might help you, this guide is obviously for the DVDRW drive as it mentions other bits I've linked over there etc, but a lot of the parts may be relevant, like your SSD, the DVD firmware can't be flashed easily due not detecting by the firmware update software unless in IDE/ATAPI mode

Quote Originally Posted by My GT10N DVD-RW Drive flashing guide
    1. Extract folder to your desktop/hard drive
    2. Install HP USB Tool
    3. Using the HP USB Tool, point it at your USB drive, choose FAT32 file system, and enable the quick format and create boot disc options.
    4. Under Create Boot Disc, select 'Using DOS startup files located at', and browse to the folder you extracted the files to.
    5. Click accept and it should make the disc bootable (deleting anything left on it)
    6. Open the extracted files, and copy the contents of the 'DOS' folder to your newly made USB boot drive.
    7. Restart your Comanche SLI and go into the BIOS (hammer F2 at boot).
    8. Under one of the tabs you will find Operating System Installed. Change this to 'Other'. The RAID/AHCI option will dissapear. Save and Exit.
    9. As soon as the machine boots, hammer F2.
    10. Go back into the BIOS. The operating system installed should still read other, however occasionally it switches back in which case you need to repeat the above.

11. Go to boot order and set your USB drive as the first option. Usually it will work without doing this...but this eliminates any chance of failure to boot from a working USB disc!
    12. Save and restart.
    13. Once you have a DOS prompt in front of you, type 'A107' and press enter.
    14. The flash programme should appear in front of you. It should spend about 45 seconds detecting your drive.
    15. It should detect you as having the GT10N drive and may ask your permission to flash (and will report what revision of the firmware you're currently using on the drive).
    16. Agree to the flash, and wait approximately 30 to 60 seconds.
    17. Once the flash has completed, you should see a flash successful message, and be returned to the DOS prompt.
    18. Switch the machine off.
    19. Switch the machine back on, and enter the BIOS.
    20. Change the Operating System installed back to Vista (or Vista/Win7 if using the 1.00.06 BIOS), and select correct disc configuration as before; AHCI or RAID.
    21. Save and restart.
    22. Your computer will reboot back into windows providing you changed your BIOS settings back appropriately.
    23. To confirm the update HAS taken place, if you go to My Computer, right click the DVD-RW icon and click properties. Change to the Hardware Tab, select the DVD-RW drive and click properties. Change to the details tab. Under the Hardware ID selection in the drop down menu, the top line should now mention A107 on the end.
    24. Enjoy your slightly improved, slightly more reliable DVD-RW drive.
    Last edited by Alexrose1uk; 17th December 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Thanks, that is the problem. I can't get it to see the drive because I couldn't find an ATAPI mode. I will definately try this!

Music, Media, Game

Quote Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
    Thanks, that is the problem. I can't get it to see the drive because I couldn't find an ATAPI mode. I will definately try this!
    No worries, admittedly a lot of the above guide isn't relevant, but there are several steps there that should help you, as they basically show you how to get access to non RAID/AHCI
    I warn you the M980NU BIOS seems a little reticent on switching OS to other, and I found it switched it back to Vista/Win7 without me wanting to once or twice, as well as needing a hard shutdown of the machine once.

Nothing harmful in the long run though, just our BIOS can be a little stubborn haha

Here's a link to the firmware/software pack mentioned in the guide, just discard the DVDRW firmware files, the rest might still be useful to you
    http://www.mediafire.com/?g4ztolnnntm
    Last edited by Alexrose1uk; 17th December 2009 at 03:41 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
    I feel like we've all been so quiet lately! I still can't get my touch buttons to work in Win7, completely baffled. If anyone can tell my precisely what to uninstall and reinstall I'd appreciate it I also found out that you cannot update the firmware on my SSD in the laptop. The bios update won't find it which stinks, something about the controller card used.
    Had the same issue with the SSD drive. There isn't a way to do it due to the controller so I had to remove it and hook it up to another computer (desktop one) and update the firmware that way. What a pain but new Trim firmware works well in Win7. Touch buttons work fine in Win7. I just installed the ones that came on the CD. Have tried any others. I didn't do anything special that's for sure.
    Sager NP9850 | QX9300 | 4gb DDR3/1333 | 256gb SuperTalent GX SSD | SLI Nvidia GTX 280M | BlueRay Read | Win7 RTM x64

Notebook Guru

Well guys, on Monday I will driving down to the Sager HQ office in City of Industry. They're only like 20 miles away from where I live.

I will be inquiring about buying a 9850. What do you think are the chances I will be able to pick up a machine from them say, the next day? How much time do they usually need to build the machine and configure it up to your requested specs? I'm hoping I can pick it up by around Thursday at the latest.

Music, Media, Game

I'll be honest, if they're anything like most resellers, they'll likely take more than a few days due to backlogs etc. I wouldnt get your hope up on getting it in less than a week or two.