Quantcast Computer Upgrade King?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Computer Upgrade King?

Notebook Geek

Default Computer Upgrade King?

Have you heard of them?

I was browsing pricing info for some laptops and found this reseller that offers a few laptops quite cheap (they have 1 Clevo and some ASUS options that interest me). Some of the upgrade options are also suspiciously cheap (Samsung 470 256Gb SSD for around $200, which is around $100 cheaper than anywhere else). Their manufacturer warranty policy is not very impressive though - they "honor [only] the remainder of the manufacturer warranty". I am tempted by some of the pricing of their products, but do you think I should stay away? Do you have any experience with them?

Notebook Deity

By the sound of "remainder of the manufacturer warranty" it sounds like they sell used hardware. Is that what it is?If so, then be careful to know how much use the items have, and what the SMART info is on the SSD. I look them up and see what they are, since I have not heard of them before..

They seem to have some very good reviews on several sites, and seem to offer new lappys, so maybe they say remainder just because they also have either refurbished and used. But they have some loyal customers and some nice notebooks. Looks legit to me.
    Sager NP8150, 12gb, Intel 520 SSD and 1GB Travelstar, GTX 485m,2820qm.
    Asus G73jh, 6gb, 5870m, Intel 510 SSD, Scorpio Black
    Asus EP121: I-5, 4gb 10700, 80gb Intel 310 SSD

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Computer Upgrade King?

^^ Nice try Computer Upgrade King representative...

Jk Computer Upgrade King Reviews - computerupgradeking.com Ratings at ResellerRatings few decent reviews so far..

| Fractal Define R4 | 22.1 FHD | i7-4670k | 650OC | 8gb |
    | 256GB M4 SSD | 500GB Scorpio Black | Win 7 Pro 64 |

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hizzaah View Post
    ^^ Nice try Computer Upgrade King representative...

Jk Computer Upgrade King Reviews - computerupgradeking.com Ratings at ResellerRatings few decent reviews so far..
    You got me with the nice try, and I didn't see the smiley. But yeah, I have never heard of them until now, but as I said, I am always wary of buying any hardware online, because you never know how or how long it was used. With the "remainder of manufacturer warranty" deal, it sounds like either used or refurbished. For a $100 saving an a SSD, I would rather just buy new. I can't imagine saving a $100 and then finding out the SSD is at something like 60% life. Arrgh.
    Sager NP8150, 12gb, Intel 520 SSD and 1GB Travelstar, GTX 485m,2820qm.
    Asus G73jh, 6gb, 5870m, Intel 510 SSD, Scorpio Black
    Asus EP121: I-5, 4gb 10700, 80gb Intel 310 SSD

Notebook Geek

Their warranty info is quite confusing. They offer:

3 Year Warranty on all modified components from the original purchase date.
    3 Year Free Diagnostic Support via Phone or E-Mail.
    Up to 1 Year Free Manufacturer Warranty on the original manufacturer components.

But then the manufacturer warranty is:

Per our policy of honoring up to 1 year on OEM components, we can only honor the remainder of the manufacturer warranty (as high as 1 year). Although we sell items rather quickly, we cannot guarantee the full manufacturer warranty. Items can take up to a month to sell, so as a result, if you were to purchase a computer with a standard 1 year manufacturer warranty, it may in fact have 11 months warranty

It sounds like an individual who is buying new laptops and then modifying them, in which case they are counted as used by the manufacturer...The reviews seem decent, but you are right that there's a certain risk involved even if it's saving me $100-200.

Company Representative

I work at Computer Upgrade King and someone had pointed me to this thread, and I thought I would address some of your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
    Some of the upgrade options are also suspiciously cheap (Samsung 470 256Gb SSD for around $200, which is around $100 cheaper than anywhere else). Their manufacturer warranty policy is not very impressive though - they "honor [only] the remainder of the manufacturer warranty". I am tempted by some of the pricing of their products, but do you think I should stay away? Do you have any experience with them?
    Current pricing on SSD's are going down fast, we try to reflect that in our pricing. Our drives are not used, the particular one you are referencing we purchased brand new as OEM drives made for a laptop manufacturer, so the warranty is done directly through us. We have a 3 year warranty on all parts that we upgrade in the laptops. Unfortunately the manufacture warranty starts the day we purchase the laptop in most cases. This is why we have to state up to one year, as opposed to a full year. In most cases this won't be too much of an issue, as we have a pretty good turn around time. Another thing we offer is free shipping when there is a defect within the warranty time frame, something not offered by most resellers. We have a 99.9% positive feedback rating on eBay and over 5000 positive feedbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Abidderman View Post
    By the sound of "remainder of the manufacturer warranty" it sounds like they sell used hardware. Is that what it is?If so, then be careful to know how much use the items have, and what the SMART info is on the SSD. I look them up and see what they are, since I have not heard of them before..
    The only time we sell used hardware is if it actually states used in the title. All of our SSD's are either new from a reseller, OEM from a reseller, or brand new pulls from brand new laptops. Again the warranty starts when we purchase the laptop for reselling. Think of it this way, when I purchase a Seagate hard drive or a Gigabyte motherboard, my warranty time is dependent on the serial and date of manufacturing, not when I purchased the product. This is usually the case unless the product is registered upon purchase. In addition, certain models are not available directly from the manufacturer and can be cheaper if purchased from different sources. We primarily state for up to 1 year to be honest to the customers that they will not be getting exactly 1 year, but it may be 11 months and 2 weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Abidderman View Post
    For a $100 saving an a SSD, I would rather just buy new. I can't imagine saving a $100 and then finding out the SSD is at something like 60% life. Arrgh.
    As I stated earlier all of our SSD's are new and not used or refurbished. The only usage the SSD's should see is the time it takes to install Windows and any testing we do before shipping the laptop out to the customer. Usually the minimum life (tested with SSD life) is 98%, so you still have quite a lot of writes and the speed is the same as advertised with the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
    It sounds like an individual who is buying new laptops and then modifying them, in which case they are counted as used by the manufacturer...The reviews seem decent, but you are right that there's a certain risk involved even if it's saving me $100-200.
    We do buy new laptops and modify them, primarily because many of these models are not available with these configurations. We still honor the manufacturers warranty, up to a year as stated before. We also have a 3 year warranty on all parts upgraded by us. Generally that would be CPU, HDD, and RAM. We are no different than any other custom laptop reseller on the net, in this respect, it does not make the laptop used. Most customers appreciate the fact we check out the systems prior to shipping as it reduces the number of defects immensely. Imagine if you got a new laptop that you wanted to play with before the weekend, the chance of that laptop having defects is close to none as a result of our testing and inspections. We handle all warranty support including the OEM support. The only time we do not handle OEM warranty support is if the product needs OEM warranty support after 30 days and we did not upgrade or modify the product, at that point you would contact the manufacturer directly.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact us direct through email.

Support@ComputerUpgradeKing.com

Thanks,
    T.
    Last edited by Charles P. Jefferies; 14th July 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: cannot link to own site

On thing I would like to point out about computer upgrade king. Some of their items, such as the Dell Alienware items, they are promoting and selling as NEW items. But if you look in the terms, they are not new. They say they are NEW OPEN BOX, but Dell does not sell NEW OPEN BOX. There are no special deals from resellers for NEW OPEN BOX. This is a trick to manipulate the listings and seem like they are offering more value then they are.

Basically, what they are selling, is items which they purchases as refurbished, make sure have no scratches or blemishes, and sell as new open box. Some of their old feedback shows to this. They also have 20 revised feedback in one year, you just cant see the comments.

Im sure there reply would be, well... dell sells "PRE ORDER NEW" and that's what we sell. Well that may be true, but if you look at their listings, every single alienware is NEW condition. Dell does not sell all that many PRE ORDER NEW laptops. Usually 1 in 20-40 is Pre-order new, the rest are refurbished or scratch and dent. They are also not an actual certified reseller, which you can confirm with Dell. If they were actually buying NEW IN BOX, there would be no reason to put open box. And Dell does not allow other to sell NEW IN BOX at the prices these laptops are online for by this seller.

Just trying to put the facts out there so everyone knows what they are buying. A few years back, this used to be the trick. Sellers would list as new but actually they would be refurbished. Ebay caught on to this little trick and banned those sellers way back. This is not to say that they are not offering a good product. But the product they are offering is what it is.

Notebook Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Mike122 View Post
    Just trying to put the facts out there so everyone knows what they are buying. A few years back, this used to be the trick. Sellers would list as new but actually they would be refurbished. Ebay caught on to this little trick and banned those sellers way back. This is not to say that they are not offering a good product. But the product they are offering is what it is.
    They probably have a bot that trolls the Dell Outlet, and when Dell releases a good coupon, they buy up a bunch of systems to resell at the original price (or greater) Dell was charging.
    MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2011)
    Core i7 2860QM | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 6770M | 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO | Antiglare Display | OS X + Win 7

Notebook Enthusiast

I believe in the world of Ebay if you open a brand new box (say to upgrade a laptop)
    that item has to be sold as an
    "open box" item.

Notebook Retailer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike122 View Post
    On thing I would like to point out about computer upgrade king. Some of their items, such as the Dell Alienware items, they are promoting and selling as NEW items. But if you look in the terms, they are not new. They say they are NEW OPEN BOX, but Dell does not sell NEW OPEN BOX. There are no special deals from resellers for NEW OPEN BOX. This is a trick to manipulate the listings and seem like they are offering more value then they are.

Basically, what they are selling, is items which they purchases as refurbished, make sure have no scratches or blemishes, and sell as new open box. Some of their old feedback shows to this. They also have 20 revised feedback in one year, you just cant see the comments.

Im sure there reply would be, well... dell sells "PRE ORDER NEW" and that's what we sell. Well that may be true, but if you look at their listings, every single alienware is NEW condition. Dell does not sell all that many PRE ORDER NEW laptops. Usually 1 in 20-40 is Pre-order new, the rest are refurbished or scratch and dent. They are also not an actual certified reseller, which you can confirm with Dell. If they were actually buying NEW IN BOX, there would be no reason to put open box. And Dell does not allow other to sell NEW IN BOX at the prices these laptops are online for by this seller.

Regarding the outlandish claims make on this forum about my company, I am 100% appalled that such unfounded claims can be made without a shred of any actual evidence. My company's eBay feedback exceeds 5,300 with 99.9% rating. We have A- rating on Better Business Bureau which only downgrade is due to the few years (4) that we have been in business. We average more than 25 computers shipped each day and you will be hard pressed to find an actual customer of ours that actually has anything negative to say about us. That is because we are a customer focused quality driven notebook customization store. Computer Upgrade King is one of the few select actual Dell authorized Alienware resellers with authorization granted by Dell for access to Alienware retail models (i.e. AM14XR2-6667BK, AM17xR4-7263BK, AM18xR2-8728BK) from their distributor SED International. Computer Upgrade King sources their laptops from Dell directly as well as distribution in order to provide customers with full range of Alienware configuration options. All new Alienware laptops shipped are in the new black box and not the brown Dell Outlet recertified box. Computer Upgrade King does not violate Dell's policy of exporting unlike many Alienware resellers of which Dell has had to terminate from the channel.

Computer Upgrade King keeps regular stock on hand of all different Alienware models and configurations so customers can place an order and receive delivery in a very short time frame. Also, Computer Upgrade King can be counted on not to ship a single computer with dead pixel, scratch, paint chipped spot, or noticeably defect since Computer Upgrade King makes it an emphasis to test all computers when they arrive in inventory and again before they are shipped and our QA procedures are very thorough in checking for any and all blemishes as well as a wide variety of different functional defects. Computer Upgrade King is permitted by eBay to sell as New and not New Other since Computer Upgrade King maintains Top Rated Seller status with low DSR and open case rates all below the 1/2 level that eBay deems acceptable for more than 18 months consecutive now. Computer Upgrade King remains one of eBay's most recognized and trustworthy merchants. Computer Upgrade King provides their own King's Seal of Quality which is an actual seal custom designed with Computer Upgrade King's logo much like the Microsoft Signature or the Geek Squad Seal. Computer Upgrade King's seal guarantees a much higher level of quality assurance and customer satisfaction than a typical manufacturer's seal since Computer Upgrade King does not tolerate any blemishes and tests for every conceivable defect prior to shipping which well exceed the QA checks conducted by the manufacturers.

To every unfounded claim made by persons of this forum, please provide your order number and serial number as well as the computer you purchased from us. I bet you do not have any of this information to provide as we don't have any customers unhappy with our computers. We only have misinformed people speculating how we source our computers as well as the completely false accusations made by a former disgruntled employee.

P.S. Does anyone in this forum actually think we could get away with shipping recertified Alienware in the brown Dell Outlet boxes to customers in attempt to pass them off as new while still maintaining 99.9% and almost 5,400 reviews on eBay? How would we even maintain adequate sourcing if our supply was Dell Outlet. Dell comes out with those Outlet coupons for Alienware about once or twice a month at the most and they limit purchases to 5. We have purchased Dell Outlet recertified laptops in the past and when we sold them we listed them as manufacturer refurbished category on eBay. We also listed Outlet Recertified Previously Ordered New before and our selling practice on eBay for this type of Dell laptops is to include the word Recert in the title, to list under New Other category and then to write in bold letters in the description that it is a Dell Outlet Recertified Previously Ordered New laptop. You will see feedbacks on eBay if you google "Recert computerupgradeking" since we do in fact tell customers what they are buying.
    Last edited by rob@cuk; 14th March 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast