Quantcast Programming skills - born or made?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Programming skills - born or made?

One month into the semester taking a Java programming course, and from what I've seen, most students seem to be struggling, a few are good at it, and some are decent. I'm wondering if having great analytical skills and logic is something you're born with or can it be obtained with enough practice?

What makes people really good at programming? Is it because they've done it since childhood? People who tinker with computer programming during their childhood seem to develop great analytical skills and logic to be able to do these things in college on the fly. Is that true?
    Specs: AMD Radeon 7950, Intel i7 3770K w/ Thermalright Macho Rev.A heatsink, Crucial Ballistix Sport (low-profile) 8GB RAM, ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard, SeaSonic X650 Gold PSU, Antec P280 case, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD. Triple monitor gaming FTW!

Banned

Default Re: Programming skills - born or made?

While some are gifted more than others, anything can be learned.

Ura!

Had the same situation in my Visual Basic .NET class. Most weren't doing well or weren't interested, and the few of us that were interested did good/great at it. I suppose that they could have learned it over time, but it soon turned into a programming class into "do X in Excel (very mundane task, lots of repetition), then do X all over again in a vBulletin window". I even found it hard to keep interest after that.
    Пoлюшкo-пoлe
    Пoлюшкo шиpoкo пoлe
    Eдyт, дa пo пoлю, гepoи
    Пpoшлoгo вpeмeни гepoи...

Extended Signature

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    While some are gifted more than others, anything can be learned.
    What makes one "gifted" in the first place? By working hard at it? Students do work hard at it, I can sense the enthusiasm of creating their first working program. The difference is that some people seem to be better than others. It's as if you're suppose to have a basic understanding of programming before you enter the class even though this course IS an intro to programming.
    Specs: AMD Radeon 7950, Intel i7 3770K w/ Thermalright Macho Rev.A heatsink, Crucial Ballistix Sport (low-profile) 8GB RAM, ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard, SeaSonic X650 Gold PSU, Antec P280 case, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD. Triple monitor gaming FTW!

Banned

Some people just have an affinity for certain things. I believe people can be born with certain gifts, whether it be musical talent, an affinity for languages, whatever. Some people just tend to gravitate more to it than others. With programming, you do have to have a certain level of problem solving skills or you're going to have a hell of a time debugging code.

Ura!

Quote Originally Posted by brncao View Post
    What makes one "gifted" in the first place? By working hard at it? Students do work hard at it, I can sense the enthusiasm of creating their first working program. The difference is that some people seem to be better than others. It's as if you're suppose to have a basic understanding of programming before you enter the class even though this course IS an intro to programming.
    I was considered a gifted student back in grade school. Some of it was that I was a quick learner, some was that I enjoy learning something productive (high school taught me that high school tends not to be productive unless youre in honors or above, sadly), and I would be that guy that studied for a class before actually taking it.
    Пoлюшкo-пoлe
    Пoлюшкo шиpoкo пoлe
    Eдyт, дa пo пoлю, гepoи
    Пpoшлoгo вpeмeни гepoи...

Extended Signature

Zero Cool

While becoming a great programmer can be learned, there is an underlying piece. Most who become great at it are more natural at computer logic then others. Im taking some refresher classes and there are some very intellegent people who just dont get it. Does that make them stupid? No, their brains work differently and they are intelligent in other ways.

You have to be intelligent to be a competent programmer let alone a great one. But the flip side is just because you are intelligent doesnt mean you can be a competent programmer.
    Main Rig: Sager 8298 4810MQ, GTX 880m, 256GB msata, 750GB and 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram 7 Pro
    SOLD: Alienware 14 - 4700QM, GTX 765M, 8GB RAM, FHD+ IPS, 256GB mSata + WD Scorpio Black 750GB 7 Ultimate
    Main server: Dell precision m4600 - 2860QM, firepro 5950, 16GB 1600mhz RAM 9-9-9-28, WLED FDH+, Intel 520 240GB mSata OS, Seagate hybrid 750GB storage.
    in limbo: Dell precision m4400 Debian squeeze
    Future Home Gym: Vostro 1700 WUXGA!
    In limbo: Thinkpad x200s

My Youtube Channel!

Notebook Evangelist

I'm ok at programming, but this is coming from what I can pick up from the books and online tutorials. For some reason I always feel they're dumbed-down. I can learn it alright, I catch on quickly, but when it comes to problems that are a little more sophisticated, I get stuck. I "wish" I could do better, but I can't. I look at the pros and I sometimes envy them. Being here in college I feel like they teach you the basics, but a lot of times they'll tell you to find it online (i.e. Google) to further expand upon your knowledge. So 10% is in college and 90% is self-taught All of a sudden I don't feel prepared for the real world...

Banned

But that's how you learn, and that is preparing you for the real world. Most of the stuff you'll have to figure it out on your own. You'll have someone tell you, I want X done and Y done, and you'll have to figure out how to implement that. Problem solving skills are such a huge base of programming skills. I'm self taught, and I learned through trial and error, tutorials, trying out my own ideas, and I built my knowlege block by block, piece by piece.
    I don't know what else to tell you. You will only get out of it what you put into it.

Zero Cool

Even the smartest programmers have to learn syntax and at first syntax is what blocks most budding programmers. If you understand the logic somewhat then its only a matter of learning the tools and how to mold them into working the logic the most effective way possible.
    Main Rig: Sager 8298 4810MQ, GTX 880m, 256GB msata, 750GB and 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram 7 Pro
    SOLD: Alienware 14 - 4700QM, GTX 765M, 8GB RAM, FHD+ IPS, 256GB mSata + WD Scorpio Black 750GB 7 Ultimate
    Main server: Dell precision m4600 - 2860QM, firepro 5950, 16GB 1600mhz RAM 9-9-9-28, WLED FDH+, Intel 520 240GB mSata OS, Seagate hybrid 750GB storage.
    in limbo: Dell precision m4400 Debian squeeze
    Future Home Gym: Vostro 1700 WUXGA!
    In limbo: Thinkpad x200s

My Youtube Channel!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast