Quantcast CF-29 Mk3 extra wire! Black, white and Blue?

+ Reply to Thread

Default CF-29 Mk3 extra wire! Black, white and Blue?

Ok I've looked through the threads, searched for my particular problem and am unable to find it so here it goes. I have a CF-29 mk3 the exact model is CF-29HTM50BM. Bought it on e-bay from a "refurbisher" had to replace the keyboard and I wanted to see if this particular model allowed for the replacement of the processor like the CF-50 did that I parted out. SO.....of course I didn't take pictures because I just finished fixing a CF-29mk2 and it went smoothly. This one not so much, it seems I have too many wires. I have the black and white wires coming from the LCD panel that belong to the Wi-Fi antenna, however this model also has a pull out antennae at the top which is a blue wire. I looked at the service manual and the only wires it mentions are the black and white. WHERE does the blue go?? Also there is an extra wire that seemingly came from god knows where, it's grey and it has the proper end on it (to attach to the wireless card) but the other end has a "boot" and a different end. The wire is shielded so I assume it also belongs inside but where? Any help would be appreciated!!! Also has anyone tried a SSD on these? It seems like this would be the best possible candidate to have a HDD that doesn't have moving parts.

Default Re: CF-29 Mk3 extra wire! Black, white and Blue?

Quote Originally Posted by chads60914 View Post
    Ok I've looked through the threads, searched for my particular problem and am unable to find it so here it goes. I have a CF-29 mk3 the exact model is CF-29HTM50BM. Bought it on e-bay from a "refurbisher" had to replace the keyboard and I wanted to see if this particular model allowed for the replacement of the processor like the CF-50 did that I parted out. SO.....of course I didn't take pictures :confused: because I just finished fixing a CF-29mk2 and it went smoothly. This one not so much, it seems I have too many wires.:( I have the black and white wires coming from the LCD panel that belong to the Wi-Fi antenna, however this model also has a pull out antennae at the top which is a blue wire. I looked at the service manual and the only wires it mentions are the black and white.:cool: WHERE does the blue go?? Also there is an extra wire that seemingly came from god knows where, it's grey and it has the proper end on it (to attach to the wireless card) but the other end has a "boot" and a different end. The wire is shielded so I assume it also belongs inside but where? Any help would be appreciated!!! Also has anyone tried a SSD on these? It seems like this would be the best possible candidate to have a HDD that doesn't have moving parts.
    I will be adding pictures but my main computer decided that the composite bus enumerator wasn't going to work today so I can attach my camera!

Freelance

All the HTM50 are like that.
    Did/does yours have the GC-83 Card in the PC slot? That is where the WWAN (blue) ends up after a stop at the pass-through. They wrapped all the inner leads with what looks like duct tape.
    I could write a book here.

After you find out the processor is not removable you can either hook the black and white directly to the wireless card, they'll reach or:
    Hook white-- one lid one wireless card to opposite sides (top and bottom) of KBPCB.
    The wireless black can go to the passthrough (visible from back door.) The brass thing. The black from lid hooks to the other post on the passthrough.
    That seems to be a standard on a lot of the 29's.
    SBC Global had the HTM50BM set up to their standard which included the WWAN from PC going to passthrough and then the blue to the lid. Or at least the twenty I tore apart did.
    There are also a couple more wires rattling around in there. The thin black wires on top of the PC cage go to a connector visible through the CDROM door. They connect to the modem BTW.There are some posts about that media bay plug here somewhere.

To sum it up while you do some reading,
    To get your wireless hooked up the easiest way is to hook black and white to wireless card. Bypass the KBPCB. (Keyboard printed circuit board)
    Until you find a use for the WWAN antenna plug blue into the passthrough to keep it from rattling around...or tape it off.
    If you are thinking about WWAN.....order one of those pigtails advertised in Buy Sell Trade. FS: Sierra Wireless AirCard 850/860 antenna pigtail adapter for SBC model CF-29

Here: use this------
    TEST site:forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic - Google Search

Good luck and welcome to the nuthouse,

Jeff

Edit: PC is PCMCIA door on right side of computer. The HTM50 was originally equipped with a GC83 WWAN card which required a pigtail for conversion from U.fl connector to the GC83 connector. The pigtail turned the corner 90 degrees and reached the connection on the front of the GC83. Clear as mud.
    Last edited by Sadlmkr; 20th April 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Welcome
    "Let neither fear nor common sense keep you from doing what you want to do."author unknown.

THANK YOU !!!! That pigtail has the exact thing I was talking about!! This one (CF-29) did come from SBC and it has a bluetooth card I'm wondering now if they connected that to the bluetooth card. Or had it connected to something else. Anyway now I know the correct wiring, and the processor isn't removable, I pretty had an idea that it wasn't 99% of the laptops I work on which are a lot newer than this aren't swappable. I just sold 3 HP 8460p's that did actually have a removable processor but that is very rare. Again thank you for the quick informative reply@!@@

Wups now I know what the GC-83 card is, no it's not in there, I'll just run that pigtail to the pci slot in case someone does want to connect it. I didn't unhook the other thin wire so those are good. If there is a slot I'll probably hook the blue wire up to the passthrough, it won't reach much further.

Freelance

If you want to change out cpu's the CF-51 is the way to go. Good coverage in Toughbooktalk CF-51 section. You want the CF-51 R. I have a few. Intel 7600 and they run at 2.3 as I recall. The 2.0 is the best bang for the buck.

I got to thinking about it and I think SBC just used the passthrough as an interface?? just a way to make the lead longer.

If yours has the pigtail it may be specific for the GC83. The search will tell you.

Jeff
    "Let neither fear nor common sense keep you from doing what you want to do."author unknown.

Toughbook Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by chads60914 View Post
    THANK YOU !!!! That pigtail has the exact thing I was talking about!! This one (CF-29) did come from SBC and it has a bluetooth card I'm wondering now if they connected that to the bluetooth card.
    CF-29 Mk3 - SBC
    Model Number: CF-29HTM50BM
    MSP: $3,631.00
    ***SBC ONLY***
    Intel® Pentium M 738 1.4GHz LV (Centrino), 13.3" XGA Transmissive Touchscreen, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Intel® Centrino® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG 802.11a+b+g WLAN, Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/Service Pack 2, Tempo VIP Sidekick Tester/ADSL Loop Validator I/F in Media Bay pocket, Sony-Ericsson GC83 EDGE WWAN PC Card, Single Hi-Gain Antenna Pass Through, SBC Logo, Asset Tag-capable, Replaceable RJ11 Phone Jack

As you can see, this unit dis not come from Panasonic with Bluetooth.

If the Bluetooth card is in the PC Card slot on the right side of the unit, it was added after SBC returned the unit back to the leasing company who provided them to SBC.

As you can see below▼, I have accumulated a few retired SBC/at&t CF-29 Toughbooks.
    CF-28PCJGZPM Mk2 (w/Backlit Rubber Kbd.)
    CF-29EWPNZBM Mk2 (ex-SAPD)
    CF-29HTM50BM Mk3 "SBC" (x 4)
    CF-29LTP57BM Mk4 - Rare "at&t" Model
    CF-29NDLGFBM Mk5 (2.25GB RAM + TS added)
    CF-M34JA2BEM Mk2 (192MB RAM)
    CF-M34JA2BEMCDP Mk2 (192MB RAM)
    CF-M34CGFZKM Mk7 (1.25GB RAM)
    CF-P2T1HBF7E Mk1

And more to come ....
    -