Quantcast External WWAN antenna for CF-31?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default External WWAN antenna for CF-31?

I just got a new CF-31ACAAA2M and it has a GOBI 2000 card in it running XP. I have an ATT sim card and am using ATT connetion manager. There is suppose to be a way to hook an external antenna up to the computer to boost the phone signal. If that is true what do I need to get. If anyone knows the types of antennas cheapest/best let me know. If you have links to antennas that would be awsome.

This is the best site for anything toughbook. Thanks

Toughbook Modder
    Puerto Galera, (Phils.-The land of stupid trapo.,corrupt Justices & politician) But I am now in B.C.

Default Re: External WWAN antenna for CF-31?

The CF-31 model no longer uses a telescopic pull out antena for WWAN instead they used a plate board like pcb board antena. Same as you found on CF-18 and CF-19 toughbook. Your only way to get an external antena is on the docking station thru pass thru connector.

ohlip
    CF-19MK3 toughbook(LED backlight) dual boot xp&win7, CF-30MK3, CF-31AGA..8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 50Channel U-blox GPS, Few cf-29's, CF-m34's, cf-18's, CF-28STM(1.0Gb RAM), the new member Gobook XR-1(2.0Ghz Custom EM408 GPS sirf III with 25dB active antena) & Getav V100(1.4ghz) core 2 duo
    , GETAC B300 (Core 2 duo), Getac B300-X i7 with 1,400nit, 50 Channel u-blox GPS
    --------------------------------------------------
    "Every goverment is run by liars and nothing they say should be believed"

Notebook Enthusiast

I am getting a docking station installed in my vehicle but I dont know when. It should a month at the most. I was hoping there was a quick fix till then. Thanks for your help

Toughbook Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey738 View Post
    I just got a new CF-31ACAAA2M and it has a GOBI 2000 card in it running XP.
    Model Number: CF-31ACAAA2M
    MSRP: $4,938
    Description: Windows XP Pro SP2 (with Win 7 COA), Intel Core i5‑520M 2.40GHz, 13.1" XGA Touchscreen LCD, 160GB Shock‑mounted HDD, 2GB Base RAM, Wi‑Fi, Bluetooth, Gobi WWAN, Dual Pass (Upper WWAN / Lower Wi‑Fi), TPM 1.2 Security Chip, Backlit Emissive Keyboard, Toughbook Preferred
    I have an ATT sim card and am using ATT connetion manager. There is suppose to be a way to hook an external antenna up to the computer to boost the phone signal. If that is true what do I need to get. If anyone knows the types of antennas cheapest/best let me know. If you have links to antennas that would be awsome.
    Try starting here:

Wilson Electronics Mobile Solutions / Antennas

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey738 View Post
    I am getting a docking station installed in my vehicle but I dont know when. It should a month at the most. I was hoping there was a quick fix till then. Thanks for your help
    Consider the best:

Panasonic Toughbook 31 (CF31) MAG Docking Station
    CF-28PCJGZPM Mk2 (w/Backlit Rubber Kbd.)
    CF-29EWPNZBM Mk2 (ex-SAPD)
    CF-29HTM50BM Mk3 "SBC" (x 4)
    CF-29LTP57BM Mk4 - Rare "at&t" Model
    CF-29NDLGFBM Mk5 (2.25GB RAM + TS added)
    CF-M34JA2BEM Mk2 (192MB RAM)
    CF-M34JA2BEMCDP Mk2 (192MB RAM)
    CF-M34CGFZKM Mk7 (1.25GB RAM)
    CF-P2T1HBF7E Mk1

And more to come ....
    -

Toughbook Aficionado

Dual passthrough = good idea with dock station (Like everyone else has said )
    ~Rob - Rugged Depot LLC - (630)/300-8877~
    ~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
    ~New 4/24/14 - CF-G1AABAB1M/I5 1.9GHz/4GB RAM/480GB Crucial M500 SSD/Digitizer/Blueteeth/Verizon 4G LTE/LAN port/Win7 Pro~
    ~For the wife (New 3/20/14): Sony Vaio 21.5" hybrid desktop/Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz/8GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM Hybrid SSD/Webcam/Win 8.1~
    ~Gamber & Johnson Diamond Partner~
    ~Comcast 75MB/15MB static line~
    ~Owner of:

http://toughwiki.com,
    http://robsnetworks.com,
    Toughbook RANT

Notebook Evangelist

I needed a car mount so I bought a used dock on ebay for about $50 and gutted it. I believe anything for a 27 and up (29 for certain) will fit and the passthroughs at least, if the dock has them, will work. Panasonic is very nice about backwards dock compatibility. Also, the wifi utility in win 7, if you run that OS, kicks att's connection manager in the taco. It's a faster, easier, one button solution that is running anyway. Check it out. I forget how the thing worked in XP.
    "You. My room. 10:30 tonight. You. 10:45... And bring a friend."

Notebook Deity

Make sure that whatever dock you buy used has a dual antenna setup. Also for the new one. Have you decided on the new one yet? If you Pm me I can hook you up with a contact at Gamber/Johnson that will take care of you. She knows her ****.
    There are some G/J docks on Amazon and Fleabay if you look around. You do NOT have to get a brand new one. I have the last generation of Magdock and it works great. The newer one has an extra USB port, and they changed the handle/locking mechanism a little bit.

This forum will educate you on all you need to know about the antenna situation.
    http://www.evdoforums.com/

This is where you buy the toys you were just reading about above. Same company.
    http://3gstore.com/
    TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK3 CF30KCKEQAM/SAMSUNG 470 256GB SSD/INTEL E-EXTREME SSD FOR BACKUP/4GB RAM/TOUCH/DUALPASSTHRU/BT/E KB/2ND BATTERY/SSD & SCREEN HTR/GOBI2K

TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK2 CF30FDGEKAM/INTEL X-25M 80GB SSD/4GB RAM/NON-TOUCH/DUAL PASS THRU/BT/EKB/2ND BATTERY/EMBEDDED VERIZON

Toughbook Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Toyo View Post
    Make sure that whatever dock you buy used has a dual antenna setup. Also for the new one
    A hearty second on that! It costs a small fortune to retrofit a non-RF, or single-RF, dock to dual-RF configuration; regardless of the manufacturer.
    . Have you decided on the new one yet? If you Pm me I can hook you up with a contact at Gamber/Johnson that will take care of you. She knows her ****.
    There are some G/J docks on Amazon and Fleabay if you look around. You do NOT have to get a brand new one. I have the last generation of Magdock and it works great. The newer one has an extra USB port, and they changed the handle/locking mechanism a little bit.

This forum will educate you on all you need to know about the antenna situation.
    EVDO Forums - EV-DO Discussion, Support, Coverage, Compatibility, Tips, Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Cradlepoint CTR350, PHS300, MBR1000, CTR500, CBA250 and MiFi : EVDOforums.com

This is where you buy the toys you were just reading about above. Same company.
    3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, Antennas, Amplifiers, WiFi, Verizon & Sprint Data Cards
    CF-28PCJGZPM Mk2 (w/Backlit Rubber Kbd.)
    CF-29EWPNZBM Mk2 (ex-SAPD)
    CF-29HTM50BM Mk3 "SBC" (x 4)
    CF-29LTP57BM Mk4 - Rare "at&t" Model
    CF-29NDLGFBM Mk5 (2.25GB RAM + TS added)
    CF-M34JA2BEM Mk2 (192MB RAM)
    CF-M34JA2BEMCDP Mk2 (192MB RAM)
    CF-M34CGFZKM Mk7 (1.25GB RAM)
    CF-P2T1HBF7E Mk1

And more to come ....
    -

Notebook Deity

Yea, I learned that one the hard way one day. I drive the same vehicle for work everyday, 24/7 365 days of the year. One day I had grabbed my MK2 instead of my MK3 and dropped it into the dock. I'm sitting there wondering what the **** is the problem! Why won't my dock lock? At that point I realized what I had done. My Mk2 is only a single RF
    On the G/J models if you don't use the external antenna you can at least do a quick mod to where you can still use the dock no matter which model you have.
    TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK3 CF30KCKEQAM/SAMSUNG 470 256GB SSD/INTEL E-EXTREME SSD FOR BACKUP/4GB RAM/TOUCH/DUALPASSTHRU/BT/E KB/2ND BATTERY/SSD & SCREEN HTR/GOBI2K

TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK2 CF30FDGEKAM/INTEL X-25M 80GB SSD/4GB RAM/NON-TOUCH/DUAL PASS THRU/BT/EKB/2ND BATTERY/EMBEDDED VERIZON