Quantcast Mini-PCI WWAN or "How can I add internal WWAN to my CF-28?"

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Mini-PCI WWAN or "How can I add internal WWAN to my CF-28?"

I like having WWAN on the Koala (the name for my CF-28), but using a PCMCIA card is a little inconvenient, because I have to leave the door open to let the antenna hang out, and the card is too long to put an internal cable in.

I'd like to find a WWAN card that's mini-pci that I can fit into the normal space under the HDD, or that will fit under the battery; and the cables to run up to the antenna spot on the lid, and/or to the designated spot next to the docking connector. I have a dock with the single RF connector that I just got for a steal, and I want to get the laptop ready to use it.

Toughbook Aficionado

Default Re: Mini-PCI WWAN or "How can I add internal WWAN to my CF-28?"

Quote Originally Posted by smokeybehr View Post
    I like having WWAN on the Koala (the name for my CF-28), but using a PCMCIA card is a little inconvenient, because I have to leave the door open to let the antenna hang out, and the card is too long to put an internal cable in.
    Then you have the wrong card.

Seriously, what card do you have and what Wireless Broadband company do you subscribe with?

I'd like to find a WWAN card that's mini-pci that I can fit into the normal space under the HDD, or that will fit under the battery; and the cables to run up to the antenna spot on the lid, and/or to the designated spot next to the docking connector. I have a dock with the single RF connector that I just got for a steal, and I want to get the laptop ready to use it.
    First off here, what is your system's Model Number, such as CF-28xxxxxxx ?

Notebook Enthusiast

The WWAN card is a Sierra Aircard 850 that's unlocked, and I use it with T-Mobile. Is there another GPRS/EDGE card that's about 1cm shorter, or has the antenna connector on the side?

Koala is a CF-28PRJAYQM. I'm running XP Pro SP3 only, 512MB RAM, and a CD/RW; other than that, it's bone stock.

I'd like to also get the Ethernet/Modem card and side piece, because I have to run a PCMCIA Ethernet card if I want to be on a wired network; but that's another topic.

Toughbook Modder
    Puerto Galera, (Phils.-The land of stupid trapo.,corrupt Justices & politician) But I am now in B.C.

You can modified if you really want it but I am afraid that the internal USB of cf-28 is only 1.1 but sure it works. What I mean is you can buy a USB WWAN adapter with PCI E and then install it internally. You can then utilize the oem antena. Also there are some PCMCIA type out there that can be install on the PCMCIA that you can still close the door like the ericsson CG83.

ohlip
    CF-19MK3 toughbook(LED backlight) dual boot xp&win7, CF-30MK3, CF-31AGA..under repair, Few cf-29's, CF-m34's, cf-18's, CF-28STM(1.0Gb RAM), Motorola ML850, the new member Gobook XR-1(2.0Ghz Custom EM408 GPS sirf III with 25dB active antena) & Getav V100(1.4ghz) core 2 duo
    , GETAC B300 (Core 2 duo)
    --------------------------------------------------
    "Every goverment is run by liars and nothing they say should be believed"

Notebook Enthusiast

I have a GC83 somewhere, but it's locked to AT&T/Cingular, and I can't get an unlock code from anywhere without paying someone a wad of money.

Is there an idiot's guide on how to install a USB whatever (WWAN or GPS) in under the battery?

The Curmudgeon

@smokeybehr Get in touch, I can help you out with the card and the original side cover with telephone and lan jacks.
    CAP
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
    CF-29 MK4, 160GB, 1.5GB RAM, XP SP3
    CF-18 MK4 Digitizer, 160GB, 1.5GB RAM, GPS, XP SP3
    CF-07 MK2, 20GB, 256MB RAM, XP CF-VDW07 & CF-VDL02

i have another similar question, i have a um175 usb modem from verizon, and im trying to figure out how to connect from the antenna jack on it out an use the built in antenna on the top corner of my cf28swjg8dm. the laptop is perfect except i really want internal wwan. the wireless works fine, but if i try to hook up wwan to the antenna is it gonna mess that up?

Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Only if you've used the LCD mounted antenna for your WiFi as in my antenna hack here:

Built-in Wireless Advanced Mods

Unfortunately, these antennas are designed to operate in the 800mhz analog band; I don't know how well they'll operate in the 1800-1900mhz digital band used by current model WWAN adapters. If you're lucky, it may be close enough to work at full-wave resonance... otherwise, it could just suck or even smoke your WWAN adapter.

If you're feeling lucky and you can afford the gamble, I say try it & tell us what happens.

mnem
    WiFinalized.

mn
    CF-29Mk5 Pentium M 1.6Ghz/1.5GB/160GB/TouchScreen/Backlit KB
    Thanks Rick, Alex, Rob, Doobi, Silver Trooper, Teo, Azrial, rusty503, cap'n, sadlmkr, Driller, TopCop, Blair, Ken & EVERYBODY else in the ToughBook Forums!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Now "Liberated" and Fighting Evil in the wilds of Texico: CF-28Mk3 768MB/30GB Touch w/internal WiFi & antenna hack, internal USB2.0/Bluetooth hack Currently flogging Dell 1330XPS & HP TC1100 Tablet PC

Say a prayer for my geeky Dwagon ar$e!

lol, id try it if i knew what connectors and stuff to buy, do you know what ones i need? i have one to go from the usb wwan card to a universal coax cable, but i cant figure out how to adapt or connect that to the built in antenna...