Quantcast CF-28 Backlit Keyboard Does not Light Up

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default CF-28 Backlit Keyboard Does not Light Up

Hay All,

I have just added an emissive chicklet keyboard to my CF-28, but it does not light up. I do have the inverter (aka Texas) board installed, and the photo sensor installed. Cables are installed correctly. Can anyone tell me what the voltage I should be reading from the red/white cable that connects under the keyboard from the inverter? I am getting 5v DC, but do not think this is correct.

I have tried in a darkened room.

Ideas?

Notebook Deity

Default Re: CF-28 Backlit Keyboard Does not Light Up

There are actually 2 different inverter boards. The more common one puts out a high voltage for the green emissive keyboards. That board has a large black coil on the back side (side with the 3 connectors), and 4 square white capacitors about 3/16" each on the front side (facing up as you install the board from the bottom of the computer).

The other version of the board is made for the later model white emissive keyboards also used in CF-29. It has the same Texas shape but does not have the large black coil on the back and does not have 4 square capacitors on the front. It puts out 3~5 volts DC onto the red & white wires.

Which version of the "Texas" board do you have?
    GoBooks: VR-2, XR-1, IX-260+, IX-350
    ToughBooks: CF-74 73 53 52 51 31 30 29 28 27 25 19 18 08 07 C1 H1 M34 M32 R2 S10 T5 T4 T2 U1 W8 W2 Y2 VDW07 PDRC

Drop and Give Me 20!
    Back in Ol' Virginia! FINALLY! (Almost on the river!)

I told you Ken was the one to talk to!

Silicone... If you have no inverter installed.... Where are you measuring voltage? If you have no inverter kit/setup like what Ken is selling in the BST side... You cannot use the emissive keyboard on the CF-28.
    Panasonic CF-31 Toughbook - 2.53GHz i5 - Emissive Keyboard - 250GB HyperX SSD - 8GB RAM - GPS - Gobi WWAN - BT - DVD - Webcam - W7.

Work Laptop CF-30 - 120GB Kingston 300 Series SSD Hard Drive - Emissive Keyboard - 4GB RAM - W7 - DVD - Media Bay Battery -BT - Custom GPS - Flux Capacitor - US Nuclear Missile Codes!

Plus - A LOT of other Toughbooks!

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post
    I told you Ken was the one to talk to!

Silicone... If you have no inverter installed.... Where are you measuring voltage? If you have no inverter kit/setup like what Ken is selling in the BST side... You cannot use the emissive keyboard on the CF-28.
    I do have an inverter installed. I'll have to see which one it is in the AM.

Drop and Give Me 20!

Ahhhh.... Bach....

(M.A.S.H. lovers will get that one!)
    Panasonic CF-31 Toughbook - 2.53GHz i5 - Emissive Keyboard - 250GB HyperX SSD - 8GB RAM - GPS - Gobi WWAN - BT - DVD - Webcam - W7.

Work Laptop CF-30 - 120GB Kingston 300 Series SSD Hard Drive - Emissive Keyboard - 4GB RAM - W7 - DVD - Media Bay Battery -BT - Custom GPS - Flux Capacitor - US Nuclear Missile Codes!

Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

That's highly significant...

mnem
    Suddenly feeling VERY old.
    CF-29Mk5 Pentium M 1.6Ghz/1.5GB/160GB/TouchScreen/Backlit KB
    Thanks Rick, Alex, Rob, Doobi, Silver Trooper, Teo, Azrial, rusty503, cap'n, sadlmkr, Driller, TopCop, Blair, Ken & EVERYBODY else in the ToughBook Forums!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Now "Liberated" and Fighting Evil in the wilds of Texico: CF-28Mk3 768MB/30GB Touch w/internal WiFi & antenna hack, internal USB2.0/Bluetooth hack Currently flogging Dell 1330XPS & HP TC1100 Tablet PC

Say a prayer for my geeky Dwagon ar$e!

Drop and Give Me 20!

I might have known you'd be the one!

Now... For the Flintstones... When Fred as running for office or replacing someone's boss or something... He is given several things to say.

The three phrase thing I need clarity on is (I think) when he is out he is told to spout three phrases... I think these are they but don't know and I always have a running debate with my sister....

"Whose baby is that?"
    "What's your angle?"
    "I'll buy that!"

Sorry for being of topic... But you know.. If it's MASH or the Flintstones.....

<There's a place I know where the hipsters go called Bedrock! Twitch... Twitch>

Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

I got nuthin.

Never saw the show (except by accident); we didn't get ABC where I lived when I was old enough to see it in reruns.

mnem
    "They were musicians."
    CF-29Mk5 Pentium M 1.6Ghz/1.5GB/160GB/TouchScreen/Backlit KB
    Thanks Rick, Alex, Rob, Doobi, Silver Trooper, Teo, Azrial, rusty503, cap'n, sadlmkr, Driller, TopCop, Blair, Ken & EVERYBODY else in the ToughBook Forums!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Now "Liberated" and Fighting Evil in the wilds of Texico: CF-28Mk3 768MB/30GB Touch w/internal WiFi & antenna hack, internal USB2.0/Bluetooth hack Currently flogging Dell 1330XPS & HP TC1100 Tablet PC

Say a prayer for my geeky Dwagon ar$e!

The Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
    I got nuthin.

Never saw the show (except by accident); we didn't get ABC where I lived when I was old enough to see it in reruns.

mnem
    "They were musicians."
    You're really going to confuse a lot of people with that statement! In my high school years we only got ABC, WMTW from Portland, Maine. Their transmitter was on top of Mt. Washington so the signal made it into eastern Vermont.
    CAP
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
    CF-29 MK4, 160GB, 1.5GB RAM, XP SP3
    CF-18 MK4 Digitizer, 160GB, 1.5GB RAM, GPS, XP SP3
    CF-07 MK2, 20GB, 256MB RAM, XP CF-VDW07 & CF-VDL02

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    The other version of the board is made for the later model white emissive keyboards also used in CF-29. It has the same Texas shape but does not have the large black coil on the back and does not have 4 square capacitors on the front. It puts out 3~5 volts DC onto the red & white wires.

Which version of the "Texas" board do you have?
    This is the version I have - so ToughBook, am I trying to use the wrong keyboard for this board? Do you have the white type keyboard?

Springfield, do you have a Texas board for the blue keyboard? Will you exchange?

Trying to get this going with the least expense - I've already got a couple hundred $$ in this machine more than it is worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast