Quantcast CF-74 Touchscreen inoperative

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default CF-74 Touchscreen inoperative

Hi,

I am new to the forums and have searched this, but it seems like the other posts involved discovering that your CF-74 is still under warranty, which mine is not. It is a CF-74CCBAXBM with BIOS ver 1.00L14.

My touchscreen just quit working a few weeks ago. Since my computer had a lot of junk on the HD, I figured reinstalling the OS and starting fresh couldn't hurt; however, the touchscreen still doesn't work. Under the BIOS I noticed that there isn't a touchscreen option, just an option for the touchpad. I could swear there was one before, but I am not seeing it. In the device manager it is showing up as being functioning and on USB port 0, but it isn't working. I am fearing a hardware failure, but am curious as to why I can't find the option in the BIOS.
    I am going to dig out my multimeter this weekend as well, where is it best to check the voltage, on the back of the screen, or on the PC board? I am assuming the back of the screen is easier to get to. Are the any common faults with these?

Thanks
    Pete

Notebook Deity

Default Re: CF-74 Touchscreen inoperative

You never stated, so I assume you loaded all the Panasonic drivers in the correct order? I know mine did not work when I first set up the new hard drive, but I finally got it to work. I also seem to remember that it was one of the drivers not associated with the touchscreen that did the trick. Keep trying, it will work again if you had it before. Make sure you print out the driver install sheet and follow.
    One CF-52, four CF-18's, 4.5 CF-28's, one CF-29, five CF-M34's, two CF-37's, two CF-72's, two CF-P1's, and one CF-P2, plus two Itronix VR-2's, two Getac A320T's, one Fieldpac and two IBM Transnotes. Not to mention several HP PDA's. Whew! Must quit buying...no, must have MORE! Then there are all the EDC bags, packs and pouches. And the guns, ah yes, the guns......

January 20, 2013...the end of an error.

Drop and Give Me 20!
    People's Republic of Maryland - Land of Taxes!

Another common cause of failure is junk lodged betwen the screen surface and the bezel that surrounds it. Either that or the same thing with the touchpad. If you are taking it apart... Look for small white block fuses or green fuses and check or continuity. Do you hvae the schematics and board layout diagrams? That would help.

I am baffled too why it doesn't show up in the BIOS.... Is there a BIOS upgrade available? I am not familiar with the 74 as I only work on the fuly rugged models. But they are all pretty similar.
    Panasonic CF-31 Toughbook - 2.53GHz i5 - Emissive Keyboard - 250GB HyperX SSD - 8GB RAM - GPS - Gobi WWAN - BT - DVD - Webcam - W7.

Work Laptop CF-30 - 120GB Kingston 300 Series SSD Hard Drive - Emissive Keyboard - 4GB RAM - W7 - DVD - Media Bay Battery -BT - Custom GPS - Flux Capacitor - US Nuclear Missile Codes!

Plus - A LOT of other Toughbooks!

BBi

Hi Toughbook,
    I saw on a really old post that you had some 10/100 and modem cards for sale, still got any, or know who has?
    cheers!
    ian.beeby@ntlworld.com

Notebook Deity

Can anyone say "hijack"?
    One CF-52, four CF-18's, 4.5 CF-28's, one CF-29, five CF-M34's, two CF-37's, two CF-72's, two CF-P1's, and one CF-P2, plus two Itronix VR-2's, two Getac A320T's, one Fieldpac and two IBM Transnotes. Not to mention several HP PDA's. Whew! Must quit buying...no, must have MORE! Then there are all the EDC bags, packs and pouches. And the guns, ah yes, the guns......

Notebook Enthusiast

I did reinstall the drivers, although they were pretty much all already installed from the recovery disk it seems. I followed the order on the install sheet from Panasonic, although that was just alphabetical order. I managed to forget to dig the multimeter out of the storage locker, so I will wait until Monday to check voltages.

I also have the front frame off and there isn't anything stuck in there, so that's not the problem. I am still mystified as to where the option in the BIOS went. Does anyone know where in the menus it is? I recall that it was somewhere around the Touchpad and Display options, but I don't see it anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

Notebook Deity

Touchscreen should be located on the Main tab between touchpad and display. You have the option to set it to "touchscreen mode", "tablet mode" or "auto".

Notebook Enthusiast

Hmm, here's what my BIOS main tab goes:
    System Time
    System Date
    Touchpad [Enable]
    Display [Internal LCD]
    Display Expansion [Enable]
    CD/DVD Drive Speed [High]
    Expansion [Auto]
    Current Status: Normal Temperature

I'll have to call panasonic tomorrow.

Notebook Enthusiast

Well, I haven't had a chance to call Panasonic yet, but I found the multimeter and it's showing ~5V across two of the pins. I guess it could still be a hardware problem but the BIOS doesn't seem right so I am going to pursue that for now.

Notebook Enthusiast

Got a hold of tech support today -- they said that a hardware problem is the only thing that would cause the touchscreen option to disappear from the BIOS setup menu. Is that true? I really don't know too much about the BIOS, but it makes sense to me as I can't see any other reason why the thing would disappear. I suppose if the voltage is getting to the PCB on the back of the screen, it's either that PCB or the touchscreen itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast