Quantcast CF-29 touchscreen not working

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default CF-29 touchscreen not working

OK so i picked up a CF-29ETKCWKM just now. It says the touch screen is not working. I don't know why but they say it is not.

What could cause the touchscreen to not sense touch? I figured the wrong drivers but i think they are smart enough to know to try that. What else would cause the screen to not recognize touch but everything else works normal.

I am super excited about picking this up. It has built in GPS, is wireless ready and has bluetooth according to the model number. I am a little upset that i have to go from 1.5g of ram to 1.256g but i probably wont notice the difference anyway.

If it comes down to it I will swap my touchscreen over to that one if i need too. Also is that a huge job?

Thanks for your guys help. I am a toughbook addict now

-James
    CF-19CDBAAVM - 1.06 Core Duo, Digitizer, 320gb 7200rpm HDD, 4gb Ram, Internal Sprint EVDO Rev. A, Bluetooth, OEM Fingerprint reader, Vista Business, Computrace LoJack Protected

Super Moderator

Default Re: CF-29 touchscreen not working

James ,
    Wow, it looks like your new 29 has every desirable option.
    The first place to look for touchscreen issues is in the bios.
    Look for touchsceen enable/disable there.
    Next step reload drivers.

Alex
    I'm not shy, I'm just studying my prey

Toughbook Aficionado

James, that's a nice Toughbook... Make sure u get the emissive BL keyboard and the multimedia battery to sum it all up ... I would just reload the touchscreen drivers and not mess with anything else.

Good Luck
    ~Rob - Rugged Depot LLC - (630)/300-8877~
    ~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
    ~New 7/30/13 - CF-C2ACAZXLM/I5 1.8GHz/8GB RAM/500GB 7200 RPM HD/Digitizer/Blueteeth/Verizon 4G LTE/Win 8.1~
    ~For the wife (New 3/20/14): Sony Vaio 21.5" hybrid desktopCore i5 4200U 1.6GHz/8GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM Hybrid SSD/Webcam/Win 8.1~
    ~Gamber & Johnson Diamond Partner~
    ~Comcast 50MB/10MB static line~
    ~Owner of:

http://toughwiki.com,
    http://robsnetworks.com,
    Toughbook RANT

Notebook Evangelist

the 29,18, and a few other models touchscreens have an issue where it will go erratic or just stop working and the only fix is a new ts,

Notebook Evangelist

As soon as I get it I will look into the drivers and bios to see if i can get the touchscreen working.

Do the touch screens have a history of going bad. The TB looks like it is in good shape so i doubt it was abused so the touch screen wouldn't work.

I really hope it is just drivers or the bios. That would be awesome. If not I have to have a touch screen so screen swapping would have to be done or the touchscreen would have to be repaired.

Ya all the options are almost there I am super excited about it. I will install my 100gb hdd, 1gb of memory, my dvd/rw drive, card reader and new battery. After that all i need is a media bay battery and that super hard to find emissive backlit keyboard.

Thanks for the info guys.

-James
    CF-19CDBAAVM - 1.06 Core Duo, Digitizer, 320gb 7200rpm HDD, 4gb Ram, Internal Sprint EVDO Rev. A, Bluetooth, OEM Fingerprint reader, Vista Business, Computrace LoJack Protected

Notebook Evangelist

Really what is the cost of a new touch screen. Only the touch part as the rest of it is working great.

I looked at the parts breakdown to see if i could find just the touch screen part # but didn't have any luck.

-James

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TBtech29 View Post
    the 29,18, and a few other models touchscreens have an issue where it will go erratic or just stop working and the only fix is a new ts,

There is a pcb located behind the lcd that the touchscreen panel hooks into on one side with a small circuit on it.
    Could that be defective?
    I'm not shy, I'm just studying my prey

Notebook Evangelist

I guess someone finally bought that $599 CF-29 off eBay, eh? ... I asked about the TS and they said they tried the drivers already and it's not (since the other ones work) so this one is a tech special.

-Phil
    CF-19KHRAGAM | Mac Mini | MacBook Pro | Macbook Air | HP ProLiant MicroServer | HP DL360 & DL380's... I have issues. But it's all relative. :d

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat57 View Post
    There is a pcb located behind the lcd that the touchscreen panel hooks into on one side with a small circuit on it.
    Could that be defective?
    there is a pcb yes, it rarely goes out atleast on the 29s, any issue that ive had with touchscreens that i thought was that pcb has been the ts itself.

Notebook Evangelist

Well I picked up a touchscreen for it since that is probably what is. It does not come with the actual screen just the touch part. I hope i can just fix it without having to change the screen but i have one just in case. It has a few blemishes when off but they say it is not noticeable when on. I hope it is in good condition.

Since they were selling other models with the TS working i imagine that the screens are actually bad.

-James

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast