Quantcast Gobi Enabled WWAN and GPS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Gobi Enabled WWAN and GPS

I was reading over the Panasonic website and I noticed that in third quarter of this year they will be changing how they do WWAN. No more deciding on Sprint, Verizon, Alltel or AT&T. It will all be done with Qualcomm's Gobi chip and you can decide which you want afterwards. It appears that Gobi includes GPS so I am wondering if the separate GPS option will change. Also, it indicated that it will be available on a 19, 30 and 52 so maybe retrofits will be available. Any info from the toughbook techs out there on this new change?

Toughbook Aficionado

Default Re: Gobi Enabled WWAN and GPS

I don't know about this. That would mean that the money sucking thieves like Siearra won't get their money + that would mean that you could theoretically activate one CDMA card on ANY CDMA provider, which at this point isn't going to happen. Is this Gobi chip simply a chip that you add something else to depending on what provider you want? if so, how would that be different that what is in place now?
    ~Rob - Rugged Depot LLC - (630)/300-8877~
    ~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
    ~New 4/24/14 - CF-G1AABAB1M/I5 1.9GHz/4GB RAM/480GB Crucial M500 SSD/Digitizer/Blueteeth/Verizon 4G LTE/LAN port/Win7 Pro~
    ~For the wife (New 3/20/14): Sony Vaio 21.5" hybrid desktop/Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz/8GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM Hybrid SSD/Webcam/Win 8.1~
    ~Gamber & Johnson Diamond Partner~
    ~Comcast 75MB/15MB static line~
    ~Owner of:

http://toughwiki.com,
    http://robsnetworks.com,
    Toughbook RANT

Notebook Evangelist

I heard that soon you will be able to activate branded cell phones on other networks as long as it supports the technology. Like Sprint (CDMA) can goto verizon (CDMA) and visa versa. Maybe the same thing will be happening with the mobile broadband cards.

That would be nice that way we can control the market a little better. That way they cannot exclusively have something and make way more than it is worth.

Since the cf-30 wwan cards fit in a cf-29 I would imagine that it would work out of the box but who knows.

-James
    CF-19CDBAAVM - 1.06 Core Duo, Digitizer, 320gb 7200rpm HDD, 4gb Ram, Internal Sprint EVDO Rev. A, Bluetooth, OEM Fingerprint reader, Vista Business, Computrace LoJack Protected

Notebook Consultant

Here is the link for some info... Wireless 101 including Gobi

Toughbook Aficionado

WOW, nice stuff!!.. shoulda provided that link in the origional post lol... i was more interested in this!!!!!:

Yes, Panasonic plans to enable the following new models in the coming year:

Toughbook F8
    Toughbook T8
    Toughbook W8
    ~New 4/24/14 - CF-G1AABAB1M/I5 1.9GHz/4GB RAM/480GB Crucial M500 SSD/Digitizer/Blueteeth/Verizon 4G LTE/LAN port/Win7 Pro~
    ~For the wife (New 3/20/14): Sony Vaio 21.5" hybrid desktop/Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz/8GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM Hybrid SSD/Webcam/Win 8.1~
    ~Owner of:

Toughbook RANT

Toughbook Aficionado

whats the F8????!!!
    ~Owner of:

Toughbook RANT

Notebook Evangelist

Even if the technology can do that, will the carriers support it?

That's the big circle that I'm running around trying to get EVDO Rev. A via Telus on my CF-29. Regardless of CDMA and compatibility, they will refuse to activate any device that did not originate from Telus. Doesn't matter if Bell uses the same model hardware, if the ESN is not in the Telus system then all you have is eWaste.
    CF-19KHRAGAM | Mac Mini | MacBook Pro | Macbook Air | HP ProLiant MicroServer | HP DL360 & DL380's... I have issues. But it's all relative. :d

Notebook Evangelist

Canuckcam I hear that soon (no eta) that cell company's (verizon is the one i heard about) will start to activate other branded cells and modems on there network. I am not sure if Telus will be included but I know that here where I am Metro PCS is already doing it. You can bring in any CDMA phone and they will activate it on there network. From what I hear all the cell company's will follow soon. So hopefully it is true it will make it much better.

For now I know that you have to have that company's branded item to have it activated and they will not activate ESN's that are not there product.

-James
    CF-19CDBAAVM - 1.06 Core Duo, Digitizer, 320gb 7200rpm HDD, 4gb Ram, Internal Sprint EVDO Rev. A, Bluetooth, OEM Fingerprint reader, Vista Business, Computrace LoJack Protected

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by canuckcam View Post
    Even if the technology can do that, will the carriers support it?

That's the big circle that I'm running around trying to get EVDO Rev. A via Telus on my CF-29. Regardless of CDMA and compatibility, they will refuse to activate any device that did not originate from Telus. Doesn't matter if Bell uses the same model hardware, if the ESN is not in the Telus system then all you have is eWaste.
    Here is a list of wireless partners with panasonic in Canada Canadian Telcoms Partners so maybe Telus will be allowed. There is a definite benefit to being able to have WWAN access be flexible and allowing easy change. The Telcoms don't have to subsidize it so they shouldn't care about it. They are already tested for compliance and certified with their networks.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    Here is a list of wireless partners with panasonic in Canada Canadian Telcoms Partners so maybe Telus will be allowed. There is a definite benefit to being able to have WWAN access be flexible and allowing easy change. The Telcoms don't have to subsidize it so they shouldn't care about it. They are already tested for compliance and certified with their networks.
    LOL. They're still in back to the future mode... Bell and Telus with 1xRTT and EVDO Rev 0 (115kbps) .. and Rogers with GPRS? Both Bell and Telus are Rev.A in almost 90% of the network, and Rogers is HSDPA in most major cities.

Sounds right though, I got through to a data guy at Telus who knows about the Toughbooks, and says the only cards that they support with the Toughbooks is the Sierra Wireless MC 5625, which is a Rev 0 card.
    CF-19KHRAGAM | Mac Mini | MacBook Pro | Macbook Air | HP ProLiant MicroServer | HP DL360 & DL380's... I have issues. But it's all relative. :d

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast