Quantcast Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29 or better: How to install an GPS-mouse into CF-29

So folks, there is a new cf-29 faq created from super mnementh.

on my cf-29mk5 wasnt a internal gps, but i need it.
    i bought an 54 channel gpsmouse with usb, i did not know at this time, that there are enough serial ports inside the toughbook ( i.e. near the keyboard-connector).
    I read many pages in this forum, but found no hint to integrat an gps-mouse in the computer.
    i opened the machine and there are some open connectors.
    In the site modly.org i found the schematic from the greatfull ohlip of connector cn18.
    I used the usb- and power-pins with an flatcable from an defective tft-display, for my luck an 40pin.
    Left from the handle is, if u dismantel this an hole. I dont know for what, but i used the hole, to put a mini switch with a cable soldered on it, to switch on and off the gps-mouse (50mA) over the USB-Power.
    In the closed-cover from the hole i cut an window for the switch.
    The innerside of the hole was filled with hot-glue from the pistol, so no water can float the laptop trough this hole.
    The flatcable is cuted beside the pins i need, the soldering is easy now. Its fixed with big balls of glue and a tape around.
    Gps-Mouse found her home in the little plastic-thing without her plastic-clothes, where in original the Gps is located. It was a little cutt-modification on the plastic till the GPS slips in. Be carefull not to destroy the gumlipps!
    There only on problem. Half of the antenna is now behind the magnesium so it detect only 2 instead 8 satelites outer there.
    Any reasons?

Here are the pictures:

Last edited by onirakkiss; 22nd April 2008 at 09:09 AM.

Warranty Voider

Default Re: Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

54 Channel? You sure about that? If so... Now I'm jealous and I'll have to get one

But... I must say GOOD WORK! You got an aftermarket GPS setup to operate (even if it only has 2 sats).

The reason you aren't picking up much signal though is because the magnesium blocks it, just like a hot chick's friends at the bar. (They both see what you are trying to do and shut it down )

That is why we have all gone with external antennas on our 28's.

But so far, I must say you are doing a great job!
    Dyin' for a ride in my car? Yeah. So am I.
    Test Dummy: CF-28 800MHz, 768MB RAM, 80GB HD, DVD/CD-RW, 400mW atheros A/B/G, backlit keyboard, Built-in GPS. XP/Mint/BackTrack2 Tri-boot.
    Need Toughbook goodies?

Drop and Give Me 20!
    People's Republic of Maryland - Land of Taxes!

You have the right idea but the wrong hardware. You need a smaller antenna so it will fit all the way in the end of the black plastic trim. I ran into a similar situation stuffing a big GPS antenna into the bumpout of the CF-28... 2 satellites and that is all.

You need a small GPS antenna! Good work though... Another person not afraid to brick a laptop... You gotta love it!
    Panasonic CF-31 Toughbook - 2.53GHz i5 - Emissive Keyboard - 250GB HyperX SSD - 8GB RAM - GPS - Gobi WWAN - BT - DVD - Webcam - W7.

Work Laptop CF-30 - 120GB Kingston 300 Series SSD Hard Drive - Emissive Keyboard - 4GB RAM - W7 - DVD - Media Bay Battery -BT - Custom GPS - Flux Capacitor - US Nuclear Missile Codes!

Plus - A LOT of other Toughbooks!

Notebook Evangelist

Nice write-up! I don't have a cf-29, but enjoyed the post and the pics. Probably one of the more audacious mods posted since the old days of exploring the RIM card on the 28. Soldering to the ribbon cable must have been difficult.

Good job!!
    I haven't lost my mind, really. I've got it backed up here someplace.
    ----
    CF-28 PBJGADM - now mo'better with 13.3 TS, LAN/modem combo card, 802.11 b/g wireless mini-pci with internal antenna, XP pro/Linux dual boot + floppy/flash drive linux boot option, USB GPS, USB2.0 added w/PCMCIA.

Notebook Evangelist

@modly look i.e. at ebay# 170210250926 or try it on google
    ur funny!(...drunken? )

@toughbook My apologize: i did'nt know, which dimension the antenna of the mouse has till i had it in my hands and opened. I hoped the mouse is sensitive enough, but the half area of the antenna is behind the metal.

did anyone switched the antenna from a mouse to an external?

Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for ur positives and hints.

I solved the antenna-problem:
    unsoldered the shield and the antenna from the gps-mouse and connected with a short piece of RG174-cable together, so it fit better into the sidecover.
    Now at the moment i have Indoor 4 and outdoor 8 satellites! I reside in forest....

In the shielded case of my hilux, the toughbook on the seat i got during i drive from the cloudy sky 9 to 12 satellites, more are not visible with my software...

Here are the pics:
    (take a look at the 3V-backup-battery)

(don't look so close)
    Last edited by onirakkiss; 24th April 2008 at 04:03 AM. Reason: update on 24.4.08:

Notebook Guru

I'm very impressed!! It looks like we are getting somewhere. Do you guys think the same gps engine your fittig into the cf-28 would work? I don't much like the external antenna though. It seems if you could get the parts for the factory gps cheap it might help with fitting a antenna in the larger plastic housing.

i remember tb saying it was cheaper to get the kit than the parts but if you only need the plastic housing. How muh could that cost??

Drop and Give Me 20!
    People's Republic of Maryland - Land of Taxes!

I think the plastic housing is pretty much the same. The hefty prices were mainly for the stock GPS antenna and engine. The prices for the other stuff is all over the place. Yes... I plan on using the same EM-408 to to install in the 29. My original thoughts were to unsolder the patch antenna that comes with the 408... But you will need an active antena to get through the plastic housing. I found one that works on the bump-out in the 28 (FINALLY!) I can't remember the model number off hand but I bought it off of usglobalsat.

Good stuff here onirakkiss... Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Toughbook; 22nd April 2008 at 08:08 AM.
    Panasonic CF-31 Toughbook - 2.53GHz i5 - Emissive Keyboard - 250GB HyperX SSD - 8GB RAM - GPS - Gobi WWAN - BT - DVD - Webcam - W7.

Work Laptop CF-30 - 120GB Kingston 300 Series SSD Hard Drive - Emissive Keyboard - 4GB RAM - W7 - DVD - Media Bay Battery -BT - Custom GPS - Flux Capacitor - US Nuclear Missile Codes!

Plus - A LOT of other Toughbooks!

Notebook Evangelist

This is an add-on to my first post in this thread.
    To prevent of an run-down of the accu, i built in an switch on the left frontside. But if someone forget to manually switch off the GPS, if the notebook is switched off, there is regardless 5V voltage on the GPS. To avoid this, i connect the line from the switch now not with cn18, but with the power of an external USB-port.

Pics:

Last edited by onirakkiss; 22nd April 2008 at 09:44 AM.

Toughbook Modder
    Puerto Galera, (Phils.-The land of stupid trapo.,corrupt Justices & politician) But I am now in B.C.

Ok! guys, for the head up, I managed to work the EM408 to CF-29 toughbook on a first stage. Unfortunately it is connected temporarity outside the notebook. The data is streaming but i don't have yet complete materials to verify its reliability like for example, I don't have yet the sarantel antena. I will publish all the pinout and diagram after I complete the whole thing. For initial report, here is the picture for your reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 0011R.JPG   Picture 114.jpg  
    Last edited by ohlip; 7th September 2008 at 05:12 PM.
    CF-19MK3 toughbook(LED backlight) dual boot xp&win7, CF-30MK3, CF-31AGA..under repair, Few cf-29's, CF-m34's, cf-18's, CF-28STM(1.0Gb RAM), Motorola ML850, the new member Gobook XR-1(2.0Ghz Custom EM408 GPS sirf III with 25dB active antena) & Getav V100(1.4ghz) core 2 duo
    , GETAC B300 (Core 2 duo), 3 Getac B300 i7 with 1,400nit, 50 Channel u-blox GPS
    --------------------------------------------------
    "Every goverment is run by liars and nothing they say should be believed"

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast