Quantcast Dreamers of Tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    308 Negra Arroyo Lane

Default Dreamers of Tomorrow

After reading what Mr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson has to say in his books and watching his interviews, I'm fairly certain he's 100% correct. We've lost that drive to innovate. And when we do have innovation, it's not because we can... it's because it's necessary. I do happen to agree with the quote "Necessity is the mother of all invention", but I don't really like it. We shouldn't be inventing and innovating because we have to, but rather we should be doing it because it's what we want to do. To better ourselves, not just to make it to the next hurdle. There's another quote that comes to mind that I try to live my life by, and that's "Be the change you want to see in the world."

So my question to you is...

What are your dreams? What would you do if you had the budget and resources to make your dreams into reality?

I'm not going to even say to keep it realistic, because part of innovating is realizing that just about everything is realistic... you just have go after it.
    H * π

There's always a flaw in the system. Finding it is the fun part. Exposing it is the dangerous part. Utilizing it is the human part.

The guy from The Notebook

Default Re: Dreamers of Tomorrow

I've been wanting to make a zombie-apocalypse-survival-coop-topdown-action-shooter-mmo. I need to get on that.

Not sure it would help humanity, but it would be fun.
    Ye Ole Macbook Air | Yonder Gaming Desktop

Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Revamp the phylogenetic software that current phylogeneticists use. They are rubbish, slow and doesn't utilize all the hardware power on platforms they operate on. Furthermore I think OS X is a big limiting factor to all that rendering of big data set matrices. I would not mind revolutionizing that field of software to some good old C++ on more proper platforms (Windows, UNIX or Linux).

Star Citizen Rig: i7-2700K (4.5 GHZ) - 16 GB Kingston DDR3-1600 HyperX - eVGA GeForce Titan SC 2x SLI - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD 2x - 3 TB WD Caviar Drives - Corsair Carbide 350R
    Addendums: Roccat Kone XTD - Logitech G710+ MX Browns- Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM/U2212HM - Bose Companion 2 Series III Speakers - LG G2

The guy from The Notebook

Quote Originally Posted by Star Forge View Post
    Furthermore I think OS X is a big limiting factor to all that rendering of big data set matrices.
    It's not. Just your own personal bias. OS X gets small, fast binaries with the GCC and with clangllvm. If you're under the impression that application binaries are larger on OS X than other operating systems, you're probably looking at applications that contain multiple binaries (x86, x86-64, and/or ppc).

Again, using a recent version of the gcc (4.7 just came out) or the Apple LLVM compiler, you'll end up with very competitive code at minimum compared to *nix platforms. I would actually say significantly better than average *nix. Windows is totally different, you'll get highly variable results trying to compare compiled C++ performance between platforms if you can't use the same compiler.

To be fair, I'm really just knocking you for being critical of compiled binary performance that something like the GCC produces for OS X (the software platform). That said, if you go Apple, you're also making a particular hardware selection. If the goal is "as-much-performance-as-possible" and you have a set budget, obviously Apple isn't going to provide optimal results, because you could have bought more CPUs and put them all on linux.

Looking at the same hardware running OS X or *nix software, however, there's little point blaming the OS for performance problems.
    Last edited by masterchef341; 30th March 2012 at 07:45 PM.
    Ye Ole Macbook Air | Yonder Gaming Desktop

Notebook Evangelist

I wish we could make a base on some other planet. In fact, I wish we started with the Moon. After over 40 years ever since mankind stepped on the Moon, you'd think we have the technology to make a base a size of a hut or something.

I really do love Space travel, and especially since NASA is sorta shut down, that really grinds my gears.
    Notebook: Lenovo Y560 "Lain"|i7 740QM|OC'D: ATI HD Radeon 5730m|5400RPM 500GB WD HDD|8GB DDR3 G.SKILL
    Desktop:'Cyclick' i5 2500k|1TB 7200rpm HDD|8GB DDR3|Sapphire AMD 7970
    [B]"Teach a man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime.

Old School

I just wish I could win the $640M lottery.

NEW! --> MSI GT72 with GTX 980m Review
    Latest Reviews: Blade 14 Performance | Aorus X7 | Sager: NP7338 W230SS 860m | NP9377 P375SM 880m SLI | NP8268 P150SM-A 880m | other Clevo : Other Reviews
    Sager NP7338 'Serenity': 13.3" 1080p IPS Matte - i7-4810MQ - GTX 860m - 16GB 1866 - 256GB Plextor M5M + 960GB M500 - Intel 7260 802.11AC - Win 8.1
    Toys: Vaio Pro 11 i5/4GB/128GB, LG G2, Acer V5-122p, WHS 2011, Asus T100 Z3775/64GB, Desktop SFF i5-3570k/GTX670

God Amongst Mere Mortals

I'd like to make my own successful MMO.

Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Quote Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
    It's not. Just your own personal bias. OS X gets small, fast binaries with the GCC and with clangllvm. If you're under the impression that application binaries are larger on OS X than other operating systems, you're probably looking at applications that contain multiple binaries (x86, x86-64, and/or ppc).

Again, using a recent version of the gcc (4.7 just came out) or the Apple LLVM compiler, you'll end up with very competitive code at minimum compared to *nix platforms. I would actually say significantly better than average *nix. Windows is totally different, you'll get highly variable results trying to compare compiled C++ performance between platforms if you can't use the same compiler.

To be fair, I'm really just knocking you for being critical of compiled binary performance that something like the GCC produces for OS X (the software platform). That said, if you go Apple, you're also making a particular hardware selection. If the goal is "as-much-performance-as-possible" and you have a set budget, obviously Apple isn't going to provide optimal results, because you could have bought more CPUs and put them all on linux.

Looking at the same hardware running OS X or *nix software, however, there's little point blaming the OS for performance problems.
    The thing is at the price of the hardware for a Mac, it is pretty cut-rate considered what you can do for a PC at the same price. Also the phylogenetics community is biased against PC's because most of the most commonly used applications are OS X enhanced or only.

Star Citizen Rig: i7-2700K (4.5 GHZ) - 16 GB Kingston DDR3-1600 HyperX - eVGA GeForce Titan SC 2x SLI - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD 2x - 3 TB WD Caviar Drives - Corsair Carbide 350R
    Addendums: Roccat Kone XTD - Logitech G710+ MX Browns- Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM/U2212HM - Bose Companion 2 Series III Speakers - LG G2

Cook Free or Die

For those want to watch the video

inspiring.
    Thinkpad W530 - Ivy Bridge i7-3610QM Processor - Windows 7 Ultimate - Full High-Def 95% Gamut 1920 x 1080 - NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 - 32GB DDR3 Ram 1600Mhz - 256GB SSD w/ 500GB HDD - Fingerprint Reader - Wireless N Advanced 6300

I R Judgemental

Quote Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post

Apple's support for the higher end of 'PC' H/PC is also either lacking, or only equivalent to solutions available under Linux in terms of the overall deployment / user experience. That is a factor I'd been wrestling with for a long time. Not to mention the hardware density (or lack of) unless you go with Minis and the compromises therein. All things considered, it's a VASTLY inferior platform in comparison to Linux or Windows for higher performance personal computing. Where it might make some sense is at a lower-echelon learning level, but when you get to commercial solutions - no.

Don't have to deal with anything near the same scale anymore though [sigh of relief]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast