Quantcast Employees Not Getting Paid for Boot-Up Times, Sue Their Employers

Closed Thread
    What the deuce?

Default Employees Not Getting Paid for Boot-Up Times, Sue Their Employers

:twitcy:

Employees Not Getting Paid for Boot-Up Times, Sue Their Employers

Wed Nov 19 2008

For office drones at big companies such as AT&T, United Health Group and Cigna, booting up their computers at the start of the day and waiting for them to shut down takes some decent time. Like 20 minutes at the start and end of the day. And they sure don't like the fact that their weasely employers have decided to not pay them for that time. So, of course, they're suing.

All three of the above companies have been hit with lawsuits dealing with the issue, and lawyers who tackle it are making a decent buck off of it. One the one hand, the companies claim that people aren't working while their computers boot, instead chatting with coworkers or having a coffee. On the other hand, if you have to be in a cubicle, you're working, and it's not the employees fault that their crap computers take so long to get revved up.

But hey, this is America, so we'll leave it for the courts to decide. [TaxProf Blog via The Inquirer]

http://gizmodo.com/5093547/employees...heir-employers

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Employees Not Getting Paid for Boot-Up Times, Sue Their Employers

If you're at work, you should get paid for all the hours, except for lunch.

Solution: Speed up boot times. Or get something that starts the computers up automatically at a given time...
    | XPS m1530 | T8100 / 8600m GT / 4GB RAM / 500GB 5400rpm HDD / LED Backlit Screen |

Nothing to be proud of, but certainly functional.

Notebook Deity

Stupid Get you it fix your load times or better yet don,nt shut down pc at end day lock them
    New Aspire one Sub Notebook
    New Ibm X61T 776295U
    Sold Acer Aspire 5672

Notebook Evangelist

Let them eat cake!
    Voltaire-"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    TravisBean (self-quote)-"Better to be hated and safe, than loved to death"

http://travisbean.webs.com/

The guy from The Notebook

this is the most retarded thing ever.

there has got to be a wake on lan auto turn on thing. and the same thing for turning off. turn on the computers 30 minutes before work and turn them off 30 minutes after, remotely.
    Ye Ole Macbook Air | Yonder Gaming Desktop

NBR Assassin

I agree this is dumb. Just leave them on! It's not like the office complex is trying to save energy anyways.. I guarantee they're blasting the AC all day.

*NEW*Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook: i5|FHD|256GB SSD|Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop: Antec 300|GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked|i7 920|6 GB DDR3|WD 750 GB + 640 GB|Corsair 650W|Windows 7 64-bit

Steam Games Deals Thread | Updating Mobile Graphics Cards Drivers | Forum Rules | Gaming Forum Information Booth

Notebook Evangelist

WHy not send the computer tech dude 30 mins early each day to get everythign ready!?!?!?!??!

dumb idiots. lol

Notebook Prophet

Here in Canada, you must be paid the minute you are requiered to be on your workplace, except when changing clothes.

[SIZE="1"]JCNATOR-5770: MSI P55-GD65, Core i5 750, MSI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5 1st gen, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (1333 effective), 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
    MacBook Pro 13'' June 2010
    http://c90land.myminicity.com/com