Quantcast 16X ftw! (Large pics inside)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The calamity from within

Default 16X ftw! (Large pics inside)

The calamity from within

Default Re: 16X ftmfw! (Large pics inside)

Now this is genius people! Engineers ftmfw!

Notebook Consultant

I find Wankel engines fascinating, though I'm curious. What exactly is the advantage of a Wankel?

I know that its used in at least two cars, the RX-7 and RX-8. How do these cars perform when compared to cars in the same class with a more conventional engine?

(Edit) - On a side note, I certainly wouldn't mind owning an RX-8. I kind of like how it looks, and its got an interesting engine.
    Last edited by Firov; 30th October 2007 at 08:12 PM.

Alpha1987Gamma0809Delta

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Firov View Post
    I find Wankel engines fascinating, though I'm curious. What exactly is the advantage of a Wankel?

I know that its used in at least two cars, the RX-7 and RX-8. How do these cars perform when compared to cars in the same class with a more conventional engine?
    It's more of a power thing, very high RPM (tourquey if you will) from such a small and light engine...I could go one but I need to get out of the office and head home from work
    --
    -Rick
    HP Compaq 8710p
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.80GHz), 2GB of RAM, NVS 320M (8700M GT) XP Pro SP2.

Bog
    Losing it...

Give me an Audi any day (sorry, I am addicted to their cars as some members know).
    "Earth" Desktop | Asus 21.5" 1920x1080 | C2D E6750 @ 3.0GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB + 1TB HD | Radeon 6850 | Corsair TX650 | Windows 7 64-bit

"Mercury" uMBP | 13" LED | C2D P8400 @ 2.4GHz | 6GB RAM | 500GB HD | Mac OS X 10.7

Notebook Deity

(Edit) - On a side note, I certainly wouldn't mind owning an RX-8. I kind of like how it looks, and its got an interesting engine.
    Rotary engines don't have to convert reciprocal power into rotational power like normal piston driven engines do. Some of the power produced is lost in the conversion.

And you can stack more rotor modules for more power output without a total redesign.
    Last edited by WackyT; 30th October 2007 at 08:53 PM.
    HP G62t: Core i5 2.267GHz
    HP/Compaq nc6400: Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz
    Dell Inspiron E1705: Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz

The calamity from within

There are many advantages to the Mazda rotaries:

-More power with less displacement
    -No violent piston motions and the rotors move at 1/3 speed of the output shaft, resulting in smooth engine response and feel
    -Far fewer moving parts, there are no pistons, valves, cams, whatever. This means more reliability.
    - Chamber is divided into 4 dedicated areas for each of the 4 parts of the cycle, making this ideal for hydrogen and other fuels.

No 1.3L piston engine will be able to do what the rotary can do without serious enhacements that become cost prohibitive.

The true magic of the rotaries is revealed in the RX cars. Its not just about the engine, its about the entire package. Usually you see light weight, very good handling, amazing feeling cars. Its hard to describe, you have to drive it to feel it. The pictures above are actually comparing the 13B, the engine in the RX-8, with the all new 16X.

There are also some disadvantages:

- Mazda's rotaries burn a tad bit of oil, requiring you to check the oil level every other time you stop for gas. This is by design.
    - Rotaries consume a bit more gas than competitors, again this is by mazda's choice to meet emissions (Gas consumption will be better with the 16X)
    - Rotaries have been suceptible to emmisions trouble, especially with california. But, the RX-8 is actually an LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle) car, which is amazing for a rotary.
    - The efficiency of the rotary is not as high historically but again Mazda seems to have made progress with the 16X, resulting in more power and tq at all rpms.

Its incredibly rare to see such drastic changes, the last time this happened was in the 70s.
    Last edited by SaferSephiroth; 30th October 2007 at 09:02 PM.
    MBP | iPhone 3G | Latest iPhone Apps

Matlab powerhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by StoryR View Post
    It's more of a power thing, very high RPM (tourquey if you will) from such a small and light engine...I could go one but I need to get out of the office and head home from work
    I don't want you to cause confusion to all, but N (rotations per minute) and torque are two different things. N can be turned into omega (mechanical) by multiplying rpm by 2(pie)/60. Then P=(torque)(omega) where P is power and you know the rest.

Just some insight on rotating machines.

Macbook Pro 17 | Core i5 540M | 500gb 5400rpm

Desktop: Asus P5K Premium | q6600@3.6ghz | 4gb Dominator C5DF | 3870x2 | 74gb Raptor (ADFD) | 2x320gb WD (AAKS) | Win7 Professional x64 | DDC 3.2 w/ DDCT-01s | pa120.3 | Apogee GT | EK 3870x2 full coverage

Woof

Does someone care to give a brief explanation of how this thing works? It is quite interesting.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by bc135 View Post
    Give me an Audi any day (sorry, I am addicted to their cars as some members know).
    Definatly! I drive an audi a3 3.2 S line quattro (2007) It is one beast of a car
    Inspiron 1520--8600gt--t7500 2.2ghz
    1280x800--2gb ram--about time for an upgrade

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast