Quantcast Apple MacBook Pro Review (pics, specs) Discussion - Page 5

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro Review (pics, specs)

well considering my needs, as far as gaming is concerned, to be simply playing one game, I'm most interested in how that one game performs. Futuremark wrote 3D Mark with no intention that it would be ran on a Macintosh, so it doesn't surprise me that the 3D Mark scores are dismall. Basically what I need is a powerbook that can game when I've got time to kill. I'll likely still use my desktop for the latest PC Gaming, but I'd like the option to raid with my guild while on the road.

I like the Macs. I like the way they look, feel, perform, and just the overall user experience. I've held off for so long because of gaming and certain other Windows only software packages, but I think this Macbook offers exactly what I need. The only question to me is, when to buy it?

Also, how did you get a 2.0 GHz 128MB Video model? Can't seem to find those...

Notebook Evangelist

Why do you blame Futuremark for Apple's poor design? It is obiviously has to do with the underclocked X1600 due to heat issues.
    Last edited by HomeSkillet; 19th April 2006 at 09:09 PM.

Notebook Deity

i personally don't care about graphics benchmarking. to me they mean nothing. If it does what i want, then its great. I still use an old geforce 200 mx in my desktop. It handles what i use just fine. So anything newer is blazingly fast to me. I think people are putting too much emphasis on these graphics benchmarks. benchmarks mean absolute possible performance, not what you will get.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by RadcomTxx
    i personally don't care about graphics benchmarking. to me they mean nothing. If it does what i want, then its great. I still use an old geforce 200 mx in my desktop. It handles what i use just fine. So anything newer is blazingly fast to me. I think people are putting too much emphasis on these graphics benchmarks. benchmarks mean absolute possible performance, not what you will get.
    Well, people like knowing what they're getting - you don't want to be shelling out big bucks for a machine that has a poor GPU. I think most just want a GPU that can play games/do renderings/run business apps. decently.
    Apple MacBook Pro: Intel Core Duo 2 T8400, 500GB HD@7200RPM, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9600GT, 15.4" WXGA+ glossy

Dell Inspiron E1705: Intel Core Duo T2500, 100GB HD@5400RPM, 1.25GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800Go, 17" WUXGA glossy

Notebook Deity

which is exactly what it does, even if it is underclocked a bit.

NBR Reviewer

those are my wife's nails

NBR Reviewer

That stat in the review is an error. My system actually has 256MB of video ram.
    If all you want to do is run WoW you could probably get by just fine on the $500 cheaper system. I would add another 512MB of ram to it, but that is pretty cheap.
    In response to this being expensive considering the 3DMark 05 score I will say that this machine does exactly what I want it to better than another notebook on the market. You get what you pay for. The heat generated by the X1600 and the 667MHz ram is tragic yes. The underclocked GPU is also sad. However, going back over my positives, I will point out that form factor and wieght are even more important to me. I also love the fact that I can run OS X and WinXP. The fact is that I can run WoW at 30fps+ with all graphics turned on maximum. Considering that this is about how fast my desktop (AMD 3000XP with x800PRO) runs it, that's not too shabby. If you want a 20lb notebook that has two GeForce 7800s in it and a 19" screen you can go that route. I wanted a pimp, slim, quiet (oh so quiet), extremely fast ( 2.0 Core Duo takes care of that) machine that plays the games I like to play. I still wouldn't trade my MacBook for an 8204 if I could. You can take your 1000 3DMark points and i'll take my MacBook Pro.

Notebook Evangelist

A normal PC can also run OSX, Windows XP- along with Windows XP 64, the upcoming Windows Vista, and Linux. You have been drinking too much Apple kool-aid if you believe that the MBP is the more flexible system.

Asus builds machines in a similar factors/size/weight except their cheaper and don't come with a underclocked GPU and heat problems.
    Last edited by HomeSkillet; 20th April 2006 at 12:22 AM.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by HomeSkillet
    A normal PC can also run OSX, Windows XP- along with Windows XP 64, the upcoming Windows Vista, and Linux. You have been drinking too much Apple kool-aid if you believe that the MBP is the more flexible system.

Asus builds machines in a similar factors/size/weight except their cheaper and don't come with a underclocked GPU and heat problems.
    except that you have to get a hacked and therefore unofficial version of OS X to install it on a non-mac machine. The intel macs are the only way to legally have all operation systems on one machine.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeSkillet

I'm not real sure why you're posting here lol .. you seem to have a complete disdain for Apple.

If you can come up with a PC that offers the same form factor, interoperability, silent operation, performance, aesthetic appeal, and battery life as the MBP then by all means offer your suggestions. If I wanted a PC that could game I would just upgrade my desktop. I wouldn't be purchasing the MBP to be my sole gamign platform, instead I'd like to have something that I can sit on the couch with, browse the internet, maybe play a few games, instead of being glued to my desk and chair as I would be sitting in front of my desktop. Something about just plugging in the DVI cable to my HD and using my wireless keyboard and mouse to have a 30" widescreen experience just sounds cool. Apple offers the experience, both from an application and gaming standpoint, as well as quality necessary to fulfill my needs. Sure if I wanted shear gaming performance and 3d benchmarks that would make anyone envy I'd opt for an Alienware or Dell, but they weigh almost twice as much, cost more, and offer two-thirds the battery life.

I never did get an answer to my question tho. Will waiting til December change my options availible in MBP? I know they intend to offer a 17" version, which is too big IMO, as well as a standard Macbook to replace the iBook, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they'll be upgrading the 15" MBP by years end.

[edit]Nevermind. Seems I was able to answer my own question by reading the following article which talks about the reduction in price of the dual-core processors.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0413035791.htm[/edit]
    Last edited by valkyr; 20th April 2006 at 07:20 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast