Quantcast Dell Inspiron e1505 Review (pics, specs) Discussion - Page 5

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Dell Inspiron e1505 Review (pics, specs)

Quote Originally Posted by jujube
    Yup, lithium batts do wear out even when you're not using it, don't know how much or how significant but keeping them in a cool dark dry place helps to prolong it a little. With 9 cell batt you can get about 5-6 hrs on medium settings and no gaming/dvd watching. I'll probably get mine this weekend once I test out the display model in SF's Westfield mall

Thanks Jujube. Put the order yesterday. did not buy the spare battery. Will buy one later if I do need one in the future. The expected shipping date is march 29. Thanks again.

Hello.

So at Dell.com, the Dual-Core processor became a Solo. And if you prefer "duets" (Céline Dion & Mariah Carey, Laurel & Hardy, Bush & Cheney, Page & Brin...) then you have to upgrade the basic system... And yes, yesterday, the Dual-Core processor was included in the basic price!

Anyway, I just had two practical questions:
    - Is it still a good deal: E1505 + Intel® CoreTM Solo Processor T1300 at $782
    - What should I choose: Combo Drive - 24x/10x/24x CD Burner and 8x DVD-ROM, or 8x DVD/CD Burner (DVD+/-RW)?

Thanks you.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Inspiron E1505 Comments

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Hermit
    Dell has "screwed" with the key layout again. The insert and delete keys went from the bottom to the top, that'll take me a while to adjust to. I use them a lot for Copy and Paste.
    Looking at the pics above (you can't really tell on Dell's sites) the e1505/6400 has the classic Dell/HP/IBM layout. I've used both this and the "row down the side of keyboard" layouts and much prefer this "classic" layout. Hopefully the keyboard quality is as good as my i9400 which is nearly as good as my old i7000.

As for your copy and paste thing do you still run Windows 3.0? Give the modern versions a go - CTRL-C and CTRL-V (and X for cut). Even I managed to get used to them

Regards,
    Tony.
    Current:

Way too heavy but a great machine:
    Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E/B, i7-720QM, 6GB DD3, 500GB HD, NV330M, 16.4" 1920x1080 premium matt, BD-ROM/DVD writer, BT 2.1+EDR, Intel 6200 Wireless, Windows 7 HP.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by e1505_yes_no
    Céline Dion & Mariah Carey... Bush & Cheney
    Stop trying to scare us!

(for those of a nervous disposition, look away now) OK, I'll raise you Chico & Westlife (Music?) combined with Blair & Prescott (Polly-ticks).

Regards with a warped British sense of humour,
    Tony.
    Last edited by tonywalk; 24th March 2006 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Sig went missing
    Current:

Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E/B, i7-720QM, 6GB DD3, 500GB HD, NV330M, 16.4" 1920x1080 premium matt, BD-ROM/DVD writer, BT 2.1+EDR, Intel 6200 Wireless, Windows 7 HP.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalk
    As for your copy and paste thing do you still run Windows 3.0? Give the modern versions a go - CTRL-C and CTRL-V (and X for cut). Even I managed to get used to them
    Been using Cntl/Shift Insert for 20 years. Works of every Windows OS. All the desktop keyboards have Insert and Delete at the bottom, as does my Inspiron 1100.

Hard to retrain a Hermit.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by e1505_yes_no
    Anyway, I just had two practical questions:
    - Is it still a good deal: E1505 + Intel® CoreTM Solo Processor T1300 at $782
    - What should I choose: Combo Drive - 24x/10x/24x CD Burner and 8x DVD-ROM, or 8x DVD/CD Burner (DVD+/-RW)?
    NO, its not a good deal. You should be able to get a base Core Duo with DVD-RW for $699. Wait a few days, it'll be back.

Hermit

Notebook Enthusiast

...Hard to retrain a Hermit.
    Let me show you my cave

All the desktop keyboards have Insert and Delete at the bottom, as does my Inspiron 1100.
    Desktop keyboard with Insert/Delete at the bottom? Do you mean in the 6-key cluster in a line with the backspace key? That's where I think Dell's layout scores in preserving this cluster.

Best wishes,
    Tony.

::
    Last edited by tonywalk; 24th March 2006 at 09:21 AM.
    Current:

Notebook Enthusiast

Based on this excellent article www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2830 , I had persuaded myself to hold off and wait to buy a machine that would be certain to handle Vista, and handle it well, …. even though I needed a new machine now. But then Microsoft delayed Vista YET again and also Dell offered at least a mediocre gpu with the 1505. So even though I am not a gamer, I had read enough that I thought having a dedicated GPU should make a difference running Vista (for the 3D features). Hope I am not wrong on this gamble as it cost me $180, but to my way of thinking this upgrade would give me a good chance of getting more out of the 32 bit version of Vista.

Those things and the $750 off coupon persuaded me to buy the 1505 on 3/22/06, but b/c of the ATI x1400, my ship date isn’t until 4/14/06. OUCH! Things are really hopping in this category and who knows what could change between now and then. If the new AMD 64 bit, dual core chip turns out to be decent in early May, surely the pricing on the Intel chips lacking 64 bit will have go come down in response. And the pricing may come down earlier than that on the rumors. Based on today’s news, I am content to sit tight, but does anybody know what event triggers my inability to cancel the current order?

Notebook Enthusiast

BTW, the $750 off easily beat the pants off the best I could do using the Employee Purchase Program.

Hi ,

I got my e1505 today.

I went for 1 gb ram and a 60gb hard disk option.

On my first day it showed me memory dump and windows crashed ..
    Is something wrong with memory...?

Also with 60 gb hard disk I see only 49 gb for total space on my harddisk

I m realy worried thinking of returning the box back..

-M