Quantcast Dell Inspiron e1505 Review (pics, specs) Discussion - Page 4

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Inspiron E1505 Comments

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Hermit
    Based on the posted sparkle photo, it looks like film grain or digital noise. If that is a good description, then I haven't seen any sparkle.
    Itís not grain or noise, but yes, it does look similar until you back off a bit and move your head around. The photo was taken with low depth of field and slightly off perpendicular, so the bottom right focuses on the pixels, and the top left focuses nearer to the surface of the screen that has the ďtextureĒ in question. Human eyes do not have such selective focus.

Iím near-sided so my eyes have a sort of super-macro vision up close. When I look close enough where I can see the individual colors of the pixels and a giant mouse pointer, the screen looks quite similar to the photo. But who looks that close? Thatís why I mentioned itís exaggerated in the photo. Plus, most people wonít see it. Iím personally not bothered by it, but itís definitely worth mentioning in a review.
    inspiron 9300
    1.6GHz
    1GB DDR2
    X300 128mb
    DVD DL

The Random Mod

Default Re: Dell Inspiron e1505 Review (pics, specs)

As I said before. The Sparkle effect of my 6000's panel only gets annoying if I'm looking for it. Otherwise I never notice it and my friends who see my screen regularly have never said anything about my screen 'sparkling'. The only comments I get on it are people wishing they had a widescreen and yes, sometimes even the occational 'That's a beautiful screen.' from average schmoos who don't know its not really. Also depends on the background color. Really I can see be bit of sparkle on the Dell CRT moniters for the work stations at my school and on the new flat panel the 'rents got for my desktop they moved downstairs and made there's when the old family desktop went 'boom'. Maybe it's more common on all types of moniters than ya think if you only look for it. I think the Trulife screen is offered on WSXGA+ and WXGA. Again, the sparkle affect might be worse with a glossy where you have the reflection ontop of the sparkles. I can't be sure. My thoughts come from my experience with the 6000's WSXGA+ Matte LCD panel (Not sure which panel I have. Never felt compelled to look.)

I think it is important to note that the E1505, as the replacement for the 6000 will fill the same nitch in the market. They are not high end, high quality performance machines. They are budget or budget alternative laptops. If your looking for high performance and high quality, please look else where. If you want a budget machine with a good bit of power and can live with a few build quality qwirks then the E1505 will be for you. The 6000 used to be compared to the HP Dv4000 and I don't even think that makes for a good comparison, the 6000 had weak graphics and a weaker price tag (before coupons) then a comparably configured HP, so it's downmarket from even that and the same is probably maybe true for the E1505 vs the Dv5000t. They do seem more evenly matched to me though. The 6000 is supposed to be either a budget machine or a low budget alternative to higher priced machines.

The plastic on the bottom is a little flemsy compared to other notebooks, although I don't think it will randomly split open, its not that weak. If anything it appears to be the easier part of the notebook to scratch.

The lid does not meet the base of the laptop unlike other laptops when it is closed. They're is a noticable gap and the latches don't go into they're slots all the way. When I'm walking with the notebook under my arm (Say carrying it from the kitchen table to the couch) I can here the lid clicking against the base as I walk with it. It does feel very cheap and a little unsettling. I do worry if the latches will break.

Sorry to be long winded. Hope this helps. ^^;
    Last edited by Metamorphical; 20th March 2006 at 05:36 PM.

Beat up Thinkpad T400 | Acer Iconia W510 | Samsung Focus Flash
    Penny'l start a fire.

Notebook Deity

Hot diggy dog!! E1505 now has dedicated GPU available as an option:

ATI X1300 128MB Hypermemory or ATI X1400 256MB Hypermemory!

Notebook Enthusiast

Darn it! I just ordered mine the other day, and now it has a video card upgrade! ARGGH!

Its all good though. I won't be doing any crazy gaming. I got the 2 Ghz Core Duo with 1 GB of ram and 100 GB HD. I also went with the TV Tuner. I think that I will be pleased. (not too hard considering that my current computer (a desktop) took over 12 mins on the 2M "Super Pi" test.)

Notebook Enthusiast

Projekt, sounds like I ordered almost the exact configuration as you and mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. From everything I had read, I knew that there would be a version with a graphics card coming out in the near future, but decided not to wait. And, like you, I still made the right decision (in my case). I am not a gamer and the integrated graphics will run cooler and use less battery than the dedicated card. That's not even mentioning the $99 or more to upgrade to the card (depending on which one).

Of course, for gamers, this is great news and IMHO will make this a very popular notebook.

Notebook Enthusiast

^ Great! Not sure why, but I hadn't even thought of the power saving plus of staying with the itegrated system. When did you order it. I ordered it 2 days ago, and it says that it is supposed to ship March 28th, but I checked earlier today and it says that it is in the "Boxing" phase... So who knows?

does the 256 mb video card make that big of difference compared to the 128mb card?? I would rather use the 80 bucks on something else... isn't processor speed more important?

Notebook Enthusiast

Projekt, I ordered my on March 12th and it had a project shipping date of March 28th, but shipped on March 19th--9 days early. It shipped the day after it was listed in the "boxing" stage and then (based on the current UPS tracking and the projected delivery for tomorrow) it seems to take about 3 days for regular ground delivery. Because of the weekend, I'd guess with yours in boxing today, you won't get delivery until Monday. If you "checked" the box on the order status page to be notified by email of shipment you will get an email within a day after it ships. Of course, if you check the order status page everyday like I do, you will know it ships before you get the email.

Hi,
    I have a numb question: do you think I need to buy the spare 9 cell battery? Got the mint to buy, but heard that even for Lithum lon battery, it wears out even if you don't use it.
    Thanks

Notebook Deity

Yup, lithium batts do wear out even when you're not using it, don't know how much or how significant but keeping them in a cool dark dry place helps to prolong it a little. With 9 cell batt you can get about 5-6 hrs on medium settings and no gaming/dvd watching. I'll probably get mine this weekend once I test out the display model in SF's Westfield mall

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast