Quantcast Dell Inspiron e1505 Review (pics, specs) Discussion - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    The Random Mod

Default Re: Dell Inspiron e1505 Review (pics, specs)

Quote Originally Posted by fsacj
    I’ve actually been able to get some higher run times since I wrote the review. I got an hour with 75% remaining at full brightness and wifi on (but not connected). The 9 cell battery has exactly 50% more cells, and almost exactly 50% more capacity, so I would expect pretty darn close to 50% more run time. Thanks for the nice comments and insight on the screens.

Andrew
    That's real good to here. I'd been looking forward to an e1505 as a chance to really see how the Core Duos deliver on battery life compared to my 6000's battery life. One of the few things I'll give my 6000 credit for. Dell does seem to be a little conservative with the battery quotes. Probably because Cnet over quoted the previous 6000 so badly and there were complaints. It's great to see the Core Duo lives up to more of its hype than just power, for those of us who want decent battery life to.

I'm pretty sure Dell uses a couple different panels and its random change which WSXGA+ Glossy you get in your e1505. Just as it is with every other Dell model. It may be that's why the sparkles aren't as bad. I don't find green to be particularly Sparkly. Even pixel buddy's lime color. I've never checked to see which panel I have because I probably would find out I have the infamous Samsung panel (Thats the really bad one right?) and would notice it more.

Beat up Thinkpad T400 | Acer Iconia W510 | Samsung Focus Flash
    Penny'l start a fire.

Has anyone noticed in the 6400 manual (possibly E1505) there is mention of an X1300 (64mb) and X1400 (128mb) in the GPU section? Not much about the 950 to be honest

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by faller_g
    Has anyone noticed in the 6400 manual (possibly E1505) there is mention of an X1300 (64mb) and X1400 (128mb) in the GPU section? Not much about the 950 to be honest
    Well I'll be. You're right. The manual I have is for both computers, and it also mentions the X1300 and X1400. To bad neither is a spectacular card.
    inspiron 9300
    1.6GHz
    1GB DDR2
    X300 128mb
    DVD DL

Notebook Guru

A few questions on this model for those of you who have one:

1 - Is the WSXGA display the glossy TrueLife or is that just an option for the WXGA? For those with the TrueLife display (any resolution), how is it? Any light leakage, sparkles, etc?

2 - I know the I6000 had an annoying 'loose lid' where the bumpers wouldn't properly meet the notebook base when closed - so when you push down, it would sort of 'jiggle'. Is this still the case or has Dell fixed that?

3 - The I6000 was made out of a pliable and a bit flimsy plastic (on the bottom) where the I9x00 and 710m has a very rigid sort of magnesium blend material (on the bottom). Does the e1505 still use the plastic chassis for the bottom? You can tell by gently squeezing the bottom of the optical drive and the white 'bumper' at the same time (thumb on underside of the optical drive and your pointer right above it on white bumper). If it 'gives' it's still the plastic.

Thanks!

Hi and thank you all for helping people learning more about notebooks.

In fact, I had a very simple - yet important - question: If you had to choose between the I6000 and the E1505 (both with basic options), which one would you choose?

I noticed that most opionons about the I6000 are positive, and the E1505 looks better, faster and lighter... only in principle, since only a few tried it. So should I opt for the old one that has been proven to be good, or try the new one?

Thanks in advance.

Notebook Enthusiast

Like everyone else here, I agree that this was a very good review, and the reason I found the review in the first place was I was wanting an excuse to make the purchase. I only get into the very technical specs on the occasions when it is time to buy a PC (which I do to get a good value and hopefully achieve some degree of longevity). And in that vein I am hoping to get a bit more advice.

It seems to me that Vista, dual core and 64 bit are all quite big deals, and not the sort of incremental enhancement one should ignore. I am not a gamer or someone with the need for strong specs, with one exception, and that would be editing videos of our twins (with Pinnacle). So the lack of the better, dedicated gpu in this model is a concern, and I donít want to spend the $ or get the extra size of the 1705 model. I was already waiting for Dell to offer a better graphics solution, and then you had to add that the post that this might not be in the offing. I would assume then that the lack of a dedicated gpu as an option at the time of purchase would also preclude me from upgrading later?

The longer one waits the more one will get for their $, but I have already postponed this purchase for quite some time. Dual core is to be followed by quad core and the other components will continue to improve as well. I can get pretty good deals on the Dells with little effort, as our company has an Employee Purchase Program with them. That said, I am tired of waiting and would buy another brand, possibly with an AMD chip if it already offered dual core and 64 bit chips in a laptop that didnít weigh too much. I really would rather not wait until Fall to get something that could comfortably handle Vista, and hopefully not have huge buyerís remorse in 6 months time that I should have waited. I have even considered buying a cheap desktop as a reasonable strategy of tying me over. As someone much more versed in such things, what would you suggest? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Notebook Consultant

Sowelu: The lid is a bit loose, and the bottom is a bit more flimsy than my 9300.

e1505_yes_no and stage4. By all means buy the new one. It's bassically the same thing with a CPU that is twice as fast with some programs.

stage4: Video cards usually do little to help with video rendering. It's only 3D games that will benefit. You can wait forever because computers will always be getting better. Buy when you need a new computer.
    inspiron 9300
    1.6GHz
    1GB DDR2
    X300 128mb
    DVD DL

Notebook Enthusiast

Stage4, I agree completely with the last post. Don't worry about the integrated video when it comes to video editing. I ordered my e1505 last Sunday and the main reason for this purchase was to be able to capture and edit video when I'm away from home. The integrated graphics is fine for that. To me, the most important component was the hard drive. I know some people might disagree with me, but I would STRONGLY recommend the 7200 rpm hard drive (preferably the 100 GB due to the size of video files). The faster drive isn't really necessary for the video editing (although it will speed up rendering time), but during the capture of the video from the camcorder to the notebook, if the hard drive cannot keep up with the video (you cannot slow the video down during capture), it will result in dropped frames from the video.

On another not, (like I said above) I ordered mine last Sunday with a project shipping date of March 28 and I checked today on the status and it has already entered shipping (9 days earlier than projected). Hopefully, I'll be playing with it by the end of the week.

BTW, here is what I ordered: 2 GHz Core Duo, 15.4 UltraSharp Wide Screen SXGA+ with TrueLife, 2GB dual channel DDR2 RAM, 9-cell battery, 100GB 7200 rpm hard drive.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for a great review. I was going to order the E1505 because don't want to carry a luggage (E1705) around. After reading your review and messages from this board. I will hold off my purchase till Dell have new models on Dual Core Laptop. I prefer a 15.4 wild screen but with better graphic card and a WUXGA display.

Notebook Consultant

Default Inspiron E1505 Comments

I have a base E1505 with Core Duo and WXGA Truelife [glossy]

Quote Originally Posted by Sowelu
    1 - Is the WSXGA display the glossy TrueLife or is that just an option for the WXGA? For those with the TrueLife display (any resolution), how is it? Any light leakage, sparkles, etc?
    Based on the posted sparkle photo, it looks like film grain or digital noise. If that is a good description, then I haven't seen any sparkle. While the display is reflective, the darker the color the more reflective, its not a bother. Compared to my Inspiron 1100 with matte 14" XGA, its a huge improvement. Much crisper, brighter, just better.

2 - I know the I6000 had an annoying 'loose lid' where the bumpers wouldn't properly meet the notebook base when closed - so when you push down, it would sort of 'jiggle'. Is this still the case or has Dell fixed that?
    Don't close and carry mine, its a DTR. But, there are bumbers aplenty, 7 in total.

3 - The I6000 was made out of a pliable and a bit flimsy plastic (on the bottom) where the I9x00 and 710m has a very rigid sort of magnesium blend material (on the bottom). Does the e1505 still use the plastic chassis for the bottom? You can tell by gently squeezing the bottom of the optical drive and the white 'bumper' at the same time (thumb on underside of the optical drive and your pointer right above it on white bumper). If it 'gives' it's still the plastic.
    There's a difference between design quality and build quality. Obviously, for Dell to meet its cost targets, compromises are made, for example plastic vs. magnesium. As to build, that's how well its put together. If labels are considered, then mine was poorly built, misalligned and incorrect. However, in most respects, it seems well put together. The hinge is very snug and the display stays put.

Dell has "screwed" with the key layout again. The insert and delete keys went from the bottom to the top, that'll take me a while to adjust to. I use them a lot for Copy and Paste.

HTH,
    Hermit
    Last edited by 21st Hermit; 20th March 2006 at 02:53 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast