Quantcast HP dv5000z Review (pics, specs) - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Re: HP dv5000z Review (pics, specs)

Thanks for the review; now we have a link to give in the HP forum when people ask for a review
    Btw, great picture on the second photo. Where is it from?
    "The effect of liberty to individuals is, that they may do what they please; we ought to see what it will please them to do, before we risk congratulations."
    Edmund Burke
    L2000 LiveStrong

I've been using a dv5000z for about 2 weeks; abolutely love it.

Keyboard is sturdy. Monintor (with Brightview) is excellent. Wireless is working like a champ. I'm a notebook newb, but for a non-gaming system - I'd purchase this one again.

jcy
    Notebook Enthusiast

Very convenient that HP decided to leave the wireless light off for this review. My blue light was so bright as to make the laptop unuseable for long periods of time. Other's have reported their lights to be more bearable, so it's probably a quality issue. Nice review by the way.

NBR Reviewer

Great review, Zaz.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGreentree
    I was going to buy a dv4000 with a x700 memory card but the configuration i wanted was $300 more than this laptop. The $200 instant rebate sale ends Saturday, though. Otherwise, this would cost about $100 less than a similarly speced dv4000.
    I think the x700 compared to the integrated graphics of the dv5000z really makes this an apples-and-oranges comparison. Normally I say the x700 is worth it, but I might've just fried mine last night, so I'm not in a good state of mind right now.

Notebook Enthusiast

i got my dv5000z on monday and i absolutely love it..i was supposed to get a zv6000 but hp stopped shipping them the day after my order was placed, so they sent me this and im very happy..

first post btw
    Last edited by don_corleone; 17th February 2006 at 04:45 PM.

Notebook Virtuoso

nice review zazonz! I'm really starting to like the HP notebooks nowadays... they really have stepped it up in the past few months/years.
    Apple MacBook (MB061LL/B) | 13.3" WXGA | Intel C2D T7300 2.0 GHz | 2 GB DDR2-667 RAM | Intel GMA X3100 | Combo Drive | 80 GB 5400RPM 8M | Airport Extreme | Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    Currently running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Notebook Deity

Good going HP.. what an aweful design. I mean no disrespect to y'all dv5000 owners, but hey, compare it to the dv4000 and you'd know what I mean.

ZaZ
    Super Model

Quote Originally Posted by vassil_98
    great picture on the second photo. Where is it from?
    I think I got it at DeviantArt.com.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: HP dv5000z Review (pics, specs) : Overheating ?

Hello there,

Ok I am either confused, or HP is : I've had an older NX7000 for some time, It was a Centrino PentiumM 1.4 with 512MB RAM and an ATI 9000. It died due to the famouse graphics card problem but that's another story. The thing is, the fan NEVER came on on that model except if CPU usage was 100% for like, 5 seconds on more, and it will go off as soon as CPU usage went back to normal.

Now this is my second dv5000 that I got: I bought the one from BestBuy for $1049 (good deal) for a 2.2Gh + 1GB RAm + 128 X200 ..etc, I returned the first one from CiructCity because the fan kept coming on for no reason whatso ever everyonce in a while, and HP recommended to return it since it might be a hardware issue.

now my new laptop is doing the same thing !!! The fan comes up whenever you are doing anything on the laptop, even if it was just writing an email or browsing the web like now ! It would go for 10-15 seconds then go off. If you are using Word or Visual Studio (like I do), then forget about it, it totally sucks. It will be always on.

I called HP again and they said it might be another hardare issue. Tried upgrading the BIOS, deleting ACPI drivers (HP suggestinos), but all went into vain.

I want to know this: Is THIS a normal thing with this series ? Is it related to AMD in general ? Are ALL new laptops like this (duh!) ? What happened to the laptops being sooo silent and cool only if you over-worked it ? How does HP expect me to work on this laptop all day long if the noisy fan is gonna be up all that time ?

Just my 2 cents. Anyone, PLEASE reply back and let me know is this something normal, or is HP trying to cover something up, or are BestBuy & CircuitCity just getting the crappy leftovers ?

Thanks,

Sans

Default My experience so far...

I got my dv5000 a few weeks ago.

Here is my config:
    AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-37 (2.0GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
    - 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
    - 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
    - 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
    - 100 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    - DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
    - 54g(TM) 802.11a/b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
    - 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

So far i really like the laptop. I do wish it had the better video processor but so far that has not been an issue. I am used to my IBM T40 so this is a bit bigger but I like it. Love the bluetooth integration with my phone (Razr).

Make sure you download some of the new drivers off HP's website for the Wifi and bluetooth.

I think I should have got the bigger battery as well, oops. I also bought the remote which works pretty slick.

Only complaint is hard drive speed - wish they were a bit faster. Oh and once I removed Norton everything sped up - recommend wiping drive and using the Windows install CD to reimage the machine. In fact I bought this to run Vista 64 bit and Office 12 - so i will be reimaging as soon as the next builds are available, and compatible

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast