Quantcast HP adds dual-core AMD Neo option for Pavilion dv2z

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DietGreenTeaFiend

Default HP adds dual-core AMD Neo option for Pavilion dv2z

Today HP went live with two new AMD Athlon NEO X2 dual-core processor options for the Pavilion dv2z. Now you can configure the dv2z with a Neo X2 L335 or Neo X2 L625 processor, which add $25 or $75 to the price of the notebook respectively. To configure the dv2z with either of those processors, you must also upgrade the graphics card from the base X1250 integrated graphics to the Radeon 3410 dedicated graphics for an additional $50.

The AMD Athlon Neo X2 L335 Dual-Core Processor L335 (1.6 GHz) offers 512k of onboard L2 cache, whereas AMD Turion Neo X2 L625 Dual-Core Mobile Processor bumps L2 cache to 1MB. Both dual-core processors offer a max power consumption of 18W.

To view our official review where we have the HP dv2z an Editor's Choice click here.

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: HP adds dual-core AMD Neo option for Pavilion dv2z

They're also now offering an option for 1Gb or 2Gb of RAM. Wasn't only 4Gb before?

Also it's weird that it doesn't look like it's using the Congo platform with the M780G chipset. The integrated GPU option for Athlon Neo x2 is still the X1250 instead of the HD 3200 and to get the Turion Neo x2 you have to upgrade to the dedicated 3410 GPU.

Notebook Enthusiast

Both dual-core processors offer a max power consumption of 18W.

Is that correct?! So the faster Turion performs at the same power consumption as Neo X2?

EDIT: oops didn't read it carefully. So it's Turion Neo X2 vs Athlon Neo X2. Not Turion vs Neo.... I thought they just slap in a regular Turion processor.
    Last edited by Hornizuka; 10th June 2009 at 11:24 AM.

Notebook Consultant

wow. This is great news. If the laptop is good with heat and fan noise, Hp's got a winner.
    Now intel should strike back with a dual-core Atom.
    Isn't 18 watts too high??? no>???

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Phinagle View Post
    They're also now offering an option for 1Gb or 2Gb of RAM. Wasn't only 4Gb before?

Also it's weird that it doesn't look like it's using the Congo platform with the M780G chipset. The integrated GPU option for Athlon Neo x2 is still the X1250 instead of the HD 3200 and to get the Turion Neo x2 you have to upgrade to the dedicated 3410 GPU.
    Athlon Neo? Turion Neo? It should just be Neo or Neo X2.

They have worked in price increases....EXTREMELY disappointed in HP, if you spec this machine out the way the original model was it comes out MORE.

I spec'd this thing out the way I wanted and it came in over $1000 AFTER REBATE! Major fail HP/AMD.

Notebook Consultant

DON'T buy this laptop until after June 28th! You WILL NOT be eligible to upgrade to Windows 7!

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Athlon Neo? Turion Neo? It should just be Neo or Neo X2.

They have worked in price increases....EXTREMELY disappointed in HP, if you spec this machine out the way the original model was it comes out MORE.

I spec'd this thing out the way I wanted and it came in over $1000 AFTER REBATE! Major fail HP/AMD.

What were your specs, out of curiosity?
    Desktop: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz / 6GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Vista Home Premium (x64) / EVGA 1GB GTX 285 SC

Laptop:
    13" MBP (Mid 2009) / Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz) / Snow Leopard

Notebook Consultant

L265 with HD3400 graphics and 4Gb of ram with bluetooth and n networking....you know, pretty standard specs.

Charging $30 extra for 64-bit OS is just gouging considering it is a no cost switch on many of their other systems.

Notebook Consultant

I'm just glad they have the dedicated video and 4gb of ram as only $50 upgrades.

I think I'm gonna try to order with Vista basic even though it says it's incompatible and just grab the 7 RC.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    L265 with HD3400 graphics and 4Gb of ram with bluetooth and n networking....you know, pretty standard specs.

Charging $30 extra for 64-bit OS is just gouging considering it is a no cost switch on many of their other systems.
    Agreed.....on almost ever other lappy, it's no cost (unless you want Vista Ultimate).

I'll give HP a 'FAIL' there....
    Desktop: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz / 6GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Vista Home Premium (x64) / EVGA 1GB GTX 285 SC

Laptop:
    13" MBP (Mid 2009) / Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz) / Snow Leopard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast