Quantcast Apple MacBook Pro Laptop with Intel Core Duo Available (pics, specs) - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro Laptop with Intel Core Duo Available (pics, specs)

Finally...the highly anticipated "MacIntel" shows its face. It certainly appears impressive...
    Apple MacBook (MB061LL/B) | 13.3" WXGA | Intel C2D T7300 2.0 GHz | 2 GB DDR2-667 RAM | Intel GMA X3100 | Combo Drive | 80 GB 5400RPM 8M | Airport Extreme | Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    Currently running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro Laptop with Intel Core Duo Available (pics, specs)

Hmmm, I wonder who is the ODM indeed...
    Alienware M11x - SU7300 / GT335m / 8gb DDR3 / 60gb Vertex II

Notebook Evangelist

asus makes all macs i belive

Notebook Geek

Well I am kinda disappointed. I was hoping for a stylish 12" or 13" MacBook which would be fast and fourious (and light of course) running OS X (and for some necessary tasks Win XP programs) - but here again: a 15"-model like everyone else in the same old design. Well I like it or better: I liked it - but it's time for a modest change, isnt it? By the way why are they using notebook processors in their desktops? Arent there cheaper and more powerful dual-core processors from Intel available? Or is it to fix the heat issue. (Bring three IMac G5 together in a small room and you will see and hear what I mean!). I sorry to say that (and I am not a big Sony fan, since they have a terrible service and are way to expensive) but this January the innovation-award goes to Sony. Look at their recently announced sz-series (LED backlight to save power, carbon fibre case to save weight and a quite good design).

Working at 486 Speed

I think this is pretty cool and I'm about as anti-Mac as you can get. The price is too high, but what can you expect. I think this is just the first salvo, they'll push core duo into smaller notebooks soon enough.

Notebook Geek

Looks well.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo Laptop Available (pics, specs)

Quote Originally Posted by ogando_jose
    Its really hot!!!
    Really hot? Barely. For that price range you expect an integrated multi-format card reader, a glossy display, PVR capability, and a standard PC card slot. Same terrible wireless reception due to the aluminum chasis. Also, they moved the wireless antenna from the LCD lid to the hinge for an even more terrible wireless reception.

This is not a revolutionary product. Intel on a mac is to be expected, and it's a shame that they can't compete features with equivalent 15.4" notebooks for much less.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by mlli4
    Anyone knows what chip set this notebook uses?

Apple's webpage says it is almost 4 times as fast as the old 15 inch powerbook. I don't really think so!!!
    They are the new Intel Duo procesors at 1.63GHz and 1.83Ghz per processor, with a 667MHz frontside bus, so yeah, they will be faster than any Powerbook ever made by a WIDE margin.

As far as the dual (or triple) boot possibilities, I think we will have to wait and see. I am curious if these new Macs will have a custom BIOS altogether, or some version of the current Open Firmware. The hardware is likely not far different in the new Intel-capable iMacs, which are supposedly available now - so it won't be long before we will know the answer.

I did find this little snippet from Macintouch.com (a very well-respected Mac news/tips site):

"We asked an Apple representative about booting Windows on Apple's new Intel Macs, and this was the reply: "Probably you could boot Windows, but we don't support that."

I am severely geeked about this. If the MacBook Pro can boot OS X AND Windows, I am THERE!!!
    Last edited by shomann; 10th January 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Well, it does seem pretty slim. And it has dual dvi out (i think one is plenty but macs have those big screens, i don't know why i'd need a laptop to hook it to that though). Did they move to the two button mouse yet? Besides that, not much else.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo Laptop Available (pics, specs)

Quote Originally Posted by jsis
    Really hot? Barely. For that price range you expect an integrated multi-format card reader, a glossy display, PVR capability, and a standard PC card slot. Same terrible wireless reception due to the aluminum chasis. Also, they moved the wireless antenna from the LCD lid to the hinge for an even more terrible wireless reception.

This is not a revolutionary product. Intel on a mac is to be expected, and it's a shame that they can't compete features with equivalent 15.4" notebooks for much less.
    Are you taking into account the X1600 ATI GPU? The built-in camera? The IR Remote? Backlit, ambient light keyboard? I think that when the dust settles, you will see that the MacBook Pro is only a little more expensive than the Wintel laptops.

You may be right about the wireless though, those metal covered laptops seem to have alot range than plastic/composite laptops - but I wouldn't go so far as to say "crappy"

However, if OS X can be made to boot into alien hardware (or vice-versa), then I am all for the BEST option out there.
    Last edited by shomann; 10th January 2006 at 05:02 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast