Quantcast Slappa Ballistix Aura Pro-Tour Backpack Review Discussion

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBR Site Admin

Default Slappa Ballistix Aura Pro-Tour Backpack Review Discussion

As the shopping deadline for Christmas fast approaches, Slappa comes to the rescue with one of the best laptop backpacks we've ever reviewed. This isn't an ordinary notebook backpack, folks. This backpack has padded storage and dividers for all your digital lifestyle needs; from notebooks and digital cameras, to iPhones and USB flash drives. We also happen to love this backpack because Slappa contacted us after reading some of our other laptop bag reviews and asked for our help in designing a backpack that will comfortably carry everything a modern tech-head needs. Is the Slappa Ballistix Aura Pro-Tour Backpack as good as it sounds? We put it to the test to find out.

Read the full content of this Article: Slappa Ballistix Aura Pro-Tour Backpack Review

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Slappa Ballistix Aura Pro-Tour Backpack Review

Sorry to spoil the atmosphere but isn't there a conflict of interest somewhere if you guys are reviewing a bag that you helped design?

Moderately inquisitive

Interesting, and it seems to have a place for most things. It must be quite bulky when full with all that padding and a claimed usable volume that is 27 litres (or 40% of my medium-sized suitcase).

17" x 19" x 19" means an enormous thickness. Anyone wearing this is going to look like a snail! How much does it weigh when empty?

John

Notebook Evangelist

This bag obviously is not something that normal consumer would like to carry from day to day. Nevertheless, there's people out there, who will find this bag to be god send and I would gladly like to support the effort of any company that listen and stay so close to consumer.

Great review!
    NP8660 15.4" WSXGA+, Intel® P9500, nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS 512MB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD

NBR Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by adyingwren View Post
    Sorry to spoil the atmosphere but isn't there a conflict of interest somewhere if you guys are reviewing a bag that you helped design?
    Perhaps, but we just as easily could have reviewed it without disclosing that information.

We felt that it was important to disclose that information ... and I will also disclose the fact that we received ZERO money from Slappa and that we receive no financial compensation in any form whatsoever.

We agreed to work with Slappa in the creation of this bag because we haven't been happy with many of the laptop/camera bags we've reviewed in the past and it seemed like an opportunity to help create a bag that met our personal needs.

About the only thing remotely close to financial compensation that we received was the discount code for our readers ... but we don't get any money from that and I suspect Slappa offers similar discount codes to other sites.

Bottom line, is it a "conflict of interest" that we reviewed this bag? Maybe. But considerably less of a conflict of interest since we make absolutely ZERO money from this bag ... and we still called out the potential problems/cons in our review of this product.

Banned

nice review the bag looks nice. to bad it's 135

Notebook Retailer

John, The product dims are actually 17" high X 9.5" deep (front to back) X 12.5" across. The weight is 4.5 lbs empty (including the inner bag).

Adyingwren, we did approach Jerry when we were making our first prototypes because we know that he see's most every bag/case come across his desk, and we figured he had better insight as to the shortcomings of other bags AND the needs of notebook users and SLR photographers.

As he stated in his above post, there is absolutely no remuneration or compensation of any sort. We simply asked for his advice and he graciously provided it. If you know anything about SLAPPA, we are ALWAYS asking for advice from customers, experts (which is what we classify Jerry as), resellers and sales people. When I am in retail stores I ALWAYS ask people what they like, what they don't like and what they want to see. At first people think I'm insane, but when I then explain to them why I ask these questions, 99% of them appreciate the fact that I'm trying to build products based on feedback.

Jonhapimp.....$135 is alot for a pimp like you ??? I really believe that for what we've built into this bag (and the fact that it's a 2 bag set) the price point is a steal (but of course you would expect me to say that since it's my brand)

Thanks

Dom at SLAPPA
    Last edited by SLAPPADom; 20th December 2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added a comment

Mastershake

slappa i awesome and this is for sure i nice bag.. i use slappa on a daily basis and i wouldnt want it any other way. i may consider this one now
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/246530-how-flash-your-bios-dos-using-usb-stick.html new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1
    laptop lol which one... we have 8 currently at home..
    Meatwad you're up next, with your knock-knock.
    Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G. Drivin in my car, living like a star ice on my fingers and my toes, and im a taurus

NBR Random Reviewer

Nice review Jerry! Although the aesthetics isn't quite my cup of tea, I do appreciate the ruggedness this backpack offers. One quick question (for either Jerry or Dom): When you mention that the bag is water resistant, do the zippers also resist water seeping into the inside compartments? From experience, I've noticed that one of the easiest ways for water to enter the inside cavity of the bag is through the zippers and the surrounding area. I have the Tom Bihn checkpoint flyer bag and that bag uses some sort of nylon lining that covers the zippers and does a fantastic job repelling water. For any bag that carries expensive electronics, I feel that is an important feature that should be incorporated in all laptop/camera bags.
    ASUS U36JC-A1 w/ Intel 6300 wifi || G.Skill 256GB SSD
    Dell Latitude E6400 (company laptop) w/ Intel P8600 || 160GB HDD || 4GB Ram || Nvidia Quadro 160M
    Canon 5DMKII || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS VII|| 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
    flickr

NBR Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    When you mention that the bag is water resistant, do the zippers also resist water seeping into the inside compartments?
    In this case the materials for the backpack itself are water resistant, meaning if you pour water (or coffee) over the surface of the bag it won't go right through the material and onto the contents of the bag.

However, the zippers are not fully weather sealed ... meaning if you poured water directly over the closed zippers some would get through.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast