Quantcast Acer Ferrari 4005 WLMi Review (pics, specs) - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Acer Ferrari 4005 WLMi Review (pics, specs)

Quote Originally Posted by kiezkahse
    I have been underwhelmed by both Acer's and ATI's support for the X700 (coming from a desktop background where graphics drivers are tweaked frequently and often). ATI updates their drivers that don't actually work with the mobile X700; Acer doesn't touch their support page.
    The best bet is to download mobility modder from www.driverheaven.net.

Only a few notebook makers (Sager, Voodoo) use the plain ATI mobility drivers. Acer does not use the generic drivers and does not update their own too often.

Is there something wrong with the current drivers though? Most poeple do not need the update to 5.10. There won't be any performance miracles for the x700 - it is what is is.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by lewdvig
    It isn't that simple. People have unique requirements - that is why we write the reviews and have some benchmark numbers. That way people will hopefully find what they are looking for.

In terms of speed, if you are crunching numbers your needs will be different than someone that wants to play Far Cry. There isn't one single measure that works for everyone.
    I understand it is quite a complex task to unify all the benchmark. And I agree, different person has different requirements.

But, I prefer to think it this way. If a computer performs outstanding given the "worst scenario" that you can put at it.... then it will perform at scenario of lesser intensity. Given that the candidate computer would be at its maximum options possible(Highest processor, highest GPU, highest ram setting, fastest hard drive option available)

That way we have the "Ultimate Notebook" tested in the "worst case scenario"

For example, test it with the most demanding 3D game software with all the enhancements on (Lets say DOOM3). Then test it to do some complex computations (I have seen a demo where the computer draws a complex graphic where they time the completion of two competitor). Then test it with an industry standard benchmark. Then get the overall performance.

I have seen in AMD website that they compare their processor by:

1. Office productivity overall
    2. Digital media overall
    3. Overall performance

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13041,00.html
    (click on the "Select benchmark")

Perhaps we can also add battery life in the proposed "test"

The "Ultimate Notebook" tested in the "worst case scenario" will eliminate some of the bias inherent with individual laptop review. Different set of benchmark, different configuration, etc.

It will eliminate the confusion of the mobile version, the turion, the centrino, the low wattage version, the 64 bit, 32 bit, the dual core's, etc....the list goes on.... . Making it more palatable to the expert user and more sense to first time users. :base:

In addition, Since advertisement and endorsement receive some compensation, the bias it holds may favor one laptop from the other. The advertisement in the website may give a hint.

So by using a universal test, even if you are affiliated to one company or competitor or receive compensation for the review, your results hold weight.

That way we know the real winner of the race...
    Last edited by red_chief; 28th October 2005 at 03:08 PM.

-

red chief, the problem we have is that we're a spread out bunch...if we were all in the same office in timbuktu usa we'd probably be a lot more structured and have a room where we just take laptop pictures and run benchmarks. But lewdvig is in Alberta CA and I'm in NY USA and have our own lives so we communicate via email and do our best to coordinate doing a review and providing the pictures and content for others to benefit. We're always open to suggestions and making whatever changes we can, and since we're reading what you say will remember for reviews going forward!

Oh, and 90% of the time reviews are done of products purchased and not provided by the mfr. so you can always be assured reviews are unbiased -- there's nothing to lose or gain by ripping a laptop for being a stinker if that's the case. And even if we do get a product for review from the mfr., well we'll still be honest if it sucks

Notebook Consultant

No harm intented on the unbiased review issue. I was referring to a comment given to another website. I won't name it... Just read the accusation on one forum. But it is just "alleged" and not necessarily true or false. Nevertheless, a shadow of doubt is set.

I understand that it must be really difficult not having an office or a test center of some sort.

I was thinking in the realm of perhaps having to download a set of testing material.

"Testing Your Laptop here" :base:software. Which is the "official" benchmark test of notebookreview.com

That way even if you are in US or other country. The same set of rules apply.

Notebook Consultant

Hey I was thinking of buying one of these PC's
    looking around online I found this site: http://www.onixstyle.com/proddetail.php?prod=05405
    Has anyone used Onixstyle and know if they are legit or not
    Their prices seem way to good @ $1,475.25 while all of the other stores sell this around $2,000.00
    Just want some info on the legitamacy of onixstlye.com store

-

I can't even find onixstyle.com on www.resellerratings.com so I'd say avoid that store completely, the price is way too good to be true and it has no feedback about it on the web.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TBird
    Hey I was thinking of buying one of these PC's
    looking around online I found this site: http://www.onixstyle.com/proddetail.php?prod=05405
    Has anyone used Onixstyle and know if they are legit or not
    Their prices seem way to good @ $1,475.25 while all of the other stores sell this around $2,000.00
    Just want some info on the legitamacy of onixstlye.com store
    Keep in mind that there are two Ferraris in the 4000 line. The 4002 WLMi sells for $1500-1600 USD so that price is good, but inline with what I would expect to find.

I was not sure that I was going to keep this when I set out, but I am. It is the best notebook I have ever used (and I have owned/reviewed about 30 notebooks). Another hour of battery life and it would be perfect. I can't wait to see what Acer does next year!

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by lewdvig
    I was not sure that I was going to keep this when I set out, but I am. It is the best notebook I have ever used
    I'll second that!
    Lenovo T400S, Intel SP9400 (2.40GHz), 4GB DDR3, 14" WXGA+ LED backlit, Intel GMA 4500MHD, 250GB 1.8" HDD, 8x DL DVD-R, Intel 5300 wireless card, Bluetooth, 2MP webcam, 5-1 card reader, 6-cell prismatic and 3-cell Ultrabay batteries. (on order)

Previous rig:
    Ferrari 4005WLMI lasted 5+ perfect years.

I just bought a Ferrari 4005 WLMi to replace a Compaq R3000. While the R3000/R4000 are great laptops, I would have taken a Ferrari over an R4000 any day. The GPU options on the R3000/4000 series just don't excite me, especially considering that they are desktop-replacement class notebooks.

I will ding Acer for quality, my Ferrari came defective out of the box. The fan makes an awful rattling noise, so I am having so ship it off to get repaired a day after getting it. Now I gotta wait two weeks to really get to play with it.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by rmfought
    I just bought a Ferrari 4005 WLMi to replace a Compaq R3000. While the R3000/R4000 are great laptops, I would have taken a Ferrari over an R4000 any day. The GPU options on the R3000/4000 series just don't excite me, especially considering that they are desktop-replacement class notebooks.

I will ding Acer for quality, my Ferrari came defective out of the box. The fan makes an awful rattling noise, so I am having so ship it off to get repaired a day after getting it. Now I gotta wait two weeks to really get to play with it.
    How about comparing it to another AMD laptop like the Sager NP9750?:base:
    How would you rate the two?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor

nVIDIA® GeForce™ GO 7800 GTX PCI-Express™ 16X Graphics with 256MB DDR3 Video Memory

Dual Optical Device bays and Dual Hard disk Capability allow this system to be customized with 2 CD-ROM devices and 2

Hard Drives coexisting for maximum storage capacity

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/go_np9750.html
    Last edited by red_chief; 11th November 2005 at 03:48 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast