Quantcast HP L2000 / Compaq V2000z / Compaq v2335 Comparison Review (pics, specs) - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: HP L2000 / Compaq V2000z / Compaq v2335 Comparison Review (pics, specs)

Please, Please!
    Can you check what the manufacturers of the DVD+R DL drives are? (QSI, NEC, MATSU****A, LG, PIONEER, or TOSHIBA?) Thanks!
    (PS: If you know how and if convenient, I'm curious about the LCD panels, too!)

Thank you very much for any information. I might get an L2000 from Amazon.com soon.

Jack

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: HP L2000 / Compaq V2000z / Compaq v2335 Comparison Review (pics, specs)

Quote Originally Posted by lazybum131
    Battery life is sure disappointing on the ML-Turion systems, don't regular Athlon64 notebooks almost get 4 hrs of battery life with a 12 cell?

Seems like HP is crippling the v2000z performance-wise, the ram is underclocked to 133MHz (DDR266) but it's a 166MHz stick. The CAS latency is higher then what SPD reports too at 133MHz. Since it's single channel, the low memory bandwidth has to hurt, even AthlonXP's could use more bandwidth.
    With a 12 cell battery, my L2000 can easily exceed 5 hours of web browsing, Excel, Word, E-mails, etc... I don't believe any A64 notebook comes close to that mark.

The speed of the RAM puzzles me as well. Perhaps itís a power saving procedure. I dunno. I increased my memory bus speed back to 166MHz, returned all the settings (i.e. CAS) back to spec and set the 1T timing setting (Using A64 Tweaker utility). My benchmarks increased as a result. I have not experienced any problems and will keep track of the battery life to see if it is substantially reduced...

No doubt, dual-channel memory would have been preferred, but it dose not necessarily equal much better performance doing everyday tasks.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by mcjw
    Please, Please!
    Can you check what the manufacturers of the DVD+R DL drives are? (QSI, NEC, MATSU****A, LG, PIONEER, or TOSHIBA?) Thanks!
    My L2000 came with a Pioneer DVR-K15.

No guarantee your will. Manufactures tend to draw from a pool of approved vendors.

Notebook Enthusiast

If you need for Turion vs. Pentium benchmarks, read this:
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_con...ookie%5Ftest=1

If compaq had configured the Turion based notebooks with the Turion 64 MT-3x, your power consumptions would be much less. For some reason, they only use the ML version of the Turion. The ML uses 35 watts, where the MT only uses 25W. Id like to see how the MT would stand up against the Centrino/Pentium M in regards to battery life. :budget:

Ive ordered the compaq V2000z for myself. My wife owns a V2000 centrino based notebook. Her main concern was battery life, so she has a 12 cell, and runs without a recharge for most of the day while she is at school. Because I'm not as concerned with battery life, I opted for the less expensive V2000z after sending back my R4000. (I'm was not pleased with the R4000's size and weight, but it performed very well.)

Notebook Consultant

heres something that I've noticed with the powernow/cool n' quiet technology from AMD - it doesnt work that well. I've seen it use the lowest clock speed while Transfering files, when using the highest clock speed is better. (I copyed the same files into the same folder, using the powernow etc thing, it took 45 seconds(@ 1Ghz), using the always on option, it took 10 seconds(@2.4Ghz...)
    acer 3820TG-3022 | i5-430m | ati 5470m | 4gb ddr3 | WD 500gb

I was about to buy the L2000 from Amazon when I saw the nasty review about the power connection. Do you have any feedback regarding that issue?

Wilbur

Notebook Consultant

No problem with my power connection.
    What did they say was the issue?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by blksnake
    With a 12 cell battery, my L2000 can easily exceed 5 hours of web browsing, Excel, Word, E-mails, etc... I don't believe any A64 notebook comes close to that mark.

The speed of the RAM puzzles me as well. Perhaps it’s a power saving procedure. I dunno. I increased my memory bus speed back to 166MHz, returned all the settings (i.e. CAS) back to spec and set the 1T timing setting (Using A64 Tweaker utility). My benchmarks increased as a result. I have not experienced any problems and will keep track of the battery life to see if it is substantially reduced...

No doubt, dual-channel memory would have been preferred, but it dose not necessarily equal much better performance doing everyday tasks.
    I have to agree; with the 12 cell battery, the battery lasts plenty long. I can go an 8 hour day easy if I use sleep/hibernate during lunch and meetings.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by aka_wilbur
    I was about to buy the L2000 from Amazon when I saw the nasty review about the power connection. Do you have any feedback regarding that issue?

Wilbur
    There are no power connection issues on the L2000; mine works perfectly. Other HP laptops that I have that use the same AC Adpater are fine as well.

The small AC Adpater is a real nice bonus, compared to comparbale laptops.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast