Quantcast Acer Aspire 5020 Series AMD Turion 64 Notebook Review (pics, specs) - FOLLOW-UP - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Notebook Retailer

Just to let you know my 1694 with the latest drivers from ATI is now scoring 1700 in 3dmark 05 stock, also note that the mem in CPU-z can be reported wrong with newer models as mine was initially reported as 112 but was actually 166!

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Acer aspire 1694 (UK) 2ghz P-M, 1gig DDR 166mhz (upgraded), x600 128mb, 15.4" widescreen, Dual layer DVD-RW, PCMCIA audigy 2zs (upgraded), 100gb 5400rpm seagate momentus HDD. CATALYST BETA TESTER

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi rich2010,

I have spent a lot of time with searching on internet, where is the problem. But I read from many forums that realtek is a piece of **** (regarding to drivers). I have found out that problem is in DirectSound output. When I swich it to the wave output, the quality is okay. I have written an email to Acer and also to Realtek that there is a problem with sound pops and clicks. But without respond until yet.
    So please write also an email to the following companies I think they must know from others that there are problems. Not only from me.
    If you will find out how to solve it, please let me know.
    I think it is a pure software problem.

Marek

quote:
    Originally posted by rich2010
    [br]Fidel73 - did you ever resolve your speaker popping issue durn playback ?. I just got a new 5024 and have the same thing. also tried installing 3.73 ac97 drivers but still the same on all sound playback, very intermittent - just the odd pop now and again[?].

You may also want to try installing a previous AC97 driver set as I have from here : http://ftp.sweclockers.com/index.php?action=list&dir=Drivrutiner/Ljudkort/Realtek&order=name&srt=yes

I currently have 3.58 installed and it seems much better, but maybe I speak to soon.[]

Will also email Acer and Realtek.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi to everyone,

I've just bought an Acer Aspire 5021Wlmi and I am having some problems with my screen. I can see "noise" on the screen, specially on light green and blue tonalities. When the battery gets low it looks worse. Does anybody have this problem?.

As for the audio issues I am planning to use the laptop for audio so I downloaded Asio4all driver and my music apps seem to work ok.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi rich2010!

Thanks for tip. Yes, the old driver 3.58 is working well, definitely!
    No more awful pops and clicks! It will be a good notice to the email to realtek. I will let them know this information.
    The one difference between 3.73 and 3.58 I have noticed is that 3.58 does not allow hardware acceleration in directsound.

Thanks!
    Mark

quote:
    Originally posted by rich2010
    [br]You may also want to try installing a previous AC97 driver set as I have from here : http://ftp.sweclockers.com/index.php?action=list&dir=Drivrutiner/Ljudkort/Realtek&order=name&srt=yes

I currently have 3.58 installed and it seems much better, but maybe I speak to soon.[]

Will also email Acer and Realtek.

I note earlier in the thread there is talk of the BIOS driver able to maintain the CPU speed at 1800 constantly with no kind of speed stepping, as some older games lke Unreal Tournament refuse to work with speed stepping I need to ensure that I can switch to a constant 1800 to play them - is there a definite driver or setting that will do this ?

Thanks

Rich

To answer my own question, you just need to set your Power Options in Control Panel to "Always On" - this then runs the CPU at max power continuously and cure's the game problems.

Rich

Hi All
    After many months of pondering and searching reviews I also decided to purchase an Aspire 5024 wlmi for its brilliant specification you get for your money.Mine arrived D.O.A with a broken flimsy plastic CD facsia.Have heard other horror stories of Wifi buttons not working to,etc.Have now sent it back for a full refund as I don't trust Acer's build quality which is a real pity as its a great machine.
    So come on Acer get your act together.!!

I am now looking for a good quality laptop any suggestions...!!!
    Connor

quote:
    Originally posted by Meaker
    [br]Just to let you know my 1694 with the latest drivers from ATI is now scoring 1700 in 3dmark 05 stock, also note that the mem in CPU-z can be reported wrong with newer models as mine was initially reported as 112 but was actually 166!

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Acer aspire 1694 (UK) 2ghz P-M, 1gig DDR 166mhz (upgraded), x600 128mb, 15.4" widescreen, Dual layer DVD-RW, PCMCIA audigy 2zs (upgraded), 100gb 5400rpm seagate momentus HDD. CATALYST BETA TESTER

Which drivers are u using ? Catalyst 5.6 ?

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Acer Aspire 5020 Series AMD Turion 64 Notebook Review (pics, specs)

Quote Originally Posted by Connor
    I am now looking for a good quality laptop any suggestions...!!!
    Connor
    Try the Toshiba M40 -15.4" screen, Geforce Go 6600 128MB, Pentium M based. Nice audio -Has great speakers.
    If in the US, get the Asus Z71v
    Theory can be no more than this: a trap set in the hope that reality will be naive enough to fall into it. (Transparency 110)
    -Baudrillard