Quantcast Dell Latitude X1 and IBM ThinkPad X41 Comparison (pics) - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Working at 486 Speed

quote:
    Originally posted by mmeier
    [br]very nice comparison ! that really helps ! (side by side pics)

but a comparison X41 vs X1 vs LIFEBOOK P7010 would be very very interessting too.
    The P7010 has an integr. ODD, but a smaller formfactor !

can you compare these products ?

thx []

We don't have all three of them in the same place, but you can see the P7000 and the X1 here

http://www.notebookreview.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15743

Brian

www.BargainPDA.com | www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com | www.TabletPCReviewSpot.com

-

Darth_Bagel, the build to order notebooks you're looking at on the IBM website are actually X40, you can't configure the X41 there yet...you have to get an Express Model, such as this one:

IBM X41 25286NU Express Model

DigitalCameraReview.com |BargainPDA.com | TabletPCReviewSpot.com

Notebook Enthusiast

I love you.

To verify, the X41 has better battery life, yes? Do you have any actual numbers on battery life for either units (which I'm assuming are review units by now)?

edit: ok, so where are you getting a 1.5GHZ processor? I only see 1.4 listed on the IBM website.

[ our words to still their voice | our hands to break their worthles necks ]

Notebook Enthusiast

Whoa, thanks. Need to start paying more attention.

edit: Dammit I need to learn to read. Apologies for my stupidity.

[ our words to still their voice | our hands to break their worthles necks ]

I also have some questions for you Andrew:

+ What about the quality of VGA-out? Is it possible to use it sensible at 1280*1024 or higer resultion?

+ Of course the real battery life like others asked too

+ What about the performance? Any Problems with waiting for applications to be loaded? How long does it take to boot up windows? Some benchmarks like prime or 3dmark01 might be useful.

+ Noiselevel: Of course there's no fan on the x1, but what about the HDD? Are there any background noise, unexpected or disrupting sounds?

+ Line out: There's only stereo, no optical connector, right? What about the quality and volume?

+ The wight: how much does it weigh? Real-life wight of optical device, x1, the "brick", etc.

Okay that's it so far. Thanks for your informations! I'm looking forward for the full review!
    Thanks a lot.

-

Battery: I got 4 hours 41 mins on the X41 at level 6 brightness/Wi-Fi on/ Medium suage/ 8-cell battery. On the X1 I haven't done a proper test and i left the friggin charger back at home so i'll have to do that tomorrow.

HDD Noise: Definitely quiet with no unexpected noises, the loudest thing you'll get with the notebook is the sound of closing the lid...and even then there's rubber stoppers on the screen to pad this noise and cushion the contact between screen and keyboard area.

Line Out: No optical out, just regular stereo, I'm not an audiophile but I do listen to a lot of music and it's most certainly been fine for that...the sound quality will likely depend more on the headphones, try these Shure E3C Headphones

I'll definitely run benchmarks and include them in the full review, I've done some of these already but embarassingly the X1 has now run out of battery and I have no way to charge it at the current time [:I]

I haven't used VGA out on the X1, but I can't imagine that would be a problem, most notebooks can output by up to 1600 x 1200

Thanks a lot for the fast answer.
    Your informations sound good.

@vga-out:
    yeah, that'S what i also know. Problem is, that the Notebooks are able to send 1600*1200 pixels - but often quality is not as good as it should be to work 8 or more hours a day at a LCD powered by such a signal. So it's important to have a good signal at VGA-out to be able to use the Notebook @home / @office []
    maybe you can test that. I would be glad about that.[]
    Greetings

Notebook Virtuoso

how often would one find coupons for the X1 seeing as how most Dell coupons are for their Inspiron lines...

given the big price advantage the X1 has.. I think that would be a factor in choosing between two good ultra portables.. the money one saves could be used to make the X1 even better or spent elsewhere

-

there's never really coupons for latitude notebooks, but quite often they have some good instant offs and rebates that help on price.

Notebook Consultant

I love the X1 which is a rebadged samsung but hate the way dell deals. Seems like every day the price and price for options change on their website, nevermind the discount coupons. Today, for example, the want $199 to upgrade the 30gb drive to a 60gb drive, give me a break.

To me the X1 is the winner here, smaller with a better screen. Can't say how the 1.1 mhz will perform but the onlt think missing is the pcmcia slot which seems to be totally useless these days. Besides a network card (which is built into every laptop sold today)there is no need for pcmcia--bout a useful as a serial port these days. Having one, on the other hand, creates a soft spot where the keyboard will sage because of the open space created by the empty pcmcia slot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast