Quantcast Dell Latitude D830 Review - Page 7

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    ajy

Default Re: Dell Latitude D830 Review

I get a message that my driver is up-to-date or my OS isnt Vista 32bit when I try and upgrade to nVIDIA ForceWare 162. I have downloaded the correct version and I do have Vista 32bit and my my version that is installed is the standard Dell D8300 101 version.

Any tricks to installing the updated ForceWare?

Quote Originally Posted by ajy View Post
    I get a message that my driver is up-to-date or my OS isnt Vista 32bit when I try and upgrade to nVIDIA ForceWare 162. I have downloaded the correct version and I do have Vista 32bit and my my version that is installed is the standard Dell D8300 101 version.

Any tricks to installing the updated ForceWare?
    Posted this on another thread:

Looks like Dell finally updated their Vista 32-bit drivers for the nVidia 135M and 140M, which just got released today (no WinXP drivers yet!). It's Dell's second Vista nVidia driver release (A01), and seems based on the nVidia 156.55. Haven't tried benchmarking yet to compare to the original driver (Dell A00, nVidia 101.19)--but thought you guys might be interested in this information. However, I would imagine that their WinXP release should follow soon.

http://support.dell.com
    Dell Latitude D830
    T7700 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 140M, 160GB Fujitsu 7200rpm PMR hard drive, DVD/RW, Intel 4965 wireless, Dell 360 Bluetooth, WUXGA LCD.

Notebook Consultant

Default Latitude D830 or Precision M4300?

I have read each single post here, but some doubt remain. Something tells me that i better post here than opening a new thread, please tell me if I am wrong, as effectively i need a somewhat quick help (few days better).
    I am deciding between a Latitude D830 and a Precision M4300. I cannot understand in which do they REALLY differ apart for the video card and the possibility of True life. So, at first i would really appreciate if someone can help me with a sort of comparison of the two models, to understan what I win and/or loose with each one in temrs of performance, estetic, comfort for hands and eyes, life expextance/expandibility (to not become prehistoric too soon).
    I configured them both with a T7500 processor, a 160giga 7200rpm HD, 2x1024ram, and WSXGA+ display. But they differ in other things. Resuming, options are:
    1) Precision with Nvidia Quadro FX360M, and True Life (glossy) display, for 1139 euro.
    2) Latitude with Nvidia Quadro 140M, and not glossy display, for about 1085 euro
    3) Latitude with 135M video Card but with 1x2048+1x1024 of Ram. Anyway i am still trying to understand if the lack of dual channel (it works only with 2x same dimension modules as far as i know) is compensated enough by the more ram to worth the extra money and the sacrifice of 140m over 135m.
    4) Latitude low budget, with video from intel 3100 to quadro 140M depending on what you all will suggest me, and screen from wxga to wsxga+ (as before, depending on your suggestions), and just 2x1024 of ram. With this one I could save a good few money, but i really need to be sure that it will not become a problem in a couple of years (obsolete machine) or that i would be too limited now if i start doing some simple graphic or editing.

I do not play games. Anyway I am totally unable to determine the difference in performance between the 135m, the 140M, and the FX360M, or if even the intel 3100 would be great enough for me both now and in the future. From the first one to the last one there is something like 100 euro of difference, even more if I take the intel, so, I want to be sure of what to do. 100 euro or more is not peanuts, but if needed may be a good investment.
    Also I have much much thought up about the "WXGA or WSXGA+" and the "glossy or not glossy" hamletic questions.
    I will tell you what I think, you can tell me what I am missing:
    WXGA has got probably the right native for me, but it is available only in Latitude, and I have read just here some bad comments about the quality of this option in this precise notebook.
    WSXGA+ has got more pixels, so I guess better image quality, and wider angle (even if this may not be so important, especially with non reflective screen. Or I am wrong?). But it is probable that I will have to decide if to loose a bit of smoothness by lowering down the resolution, or increase dpi. I could ask my agent if it is possible to put a WXGA+, which could be a good solution for me (does it loose something of the wsxga+ in angle of vision or other things?).
    True life (glossy) gives more image quality. I do not know if it is also a bit brighter than not glossy in the indoor. I can have problems in outdoor or with not favorable light, but 90% of times I would use it in indoor favorable light. Anyway someone told me that True life display tire eyes more quickly, and are somehow darker than not glossy ones. True or false?

So, resuming, for just 50-60 euro less than option 1 I am not at all sure that option 2 is a good choice. Do you agree?
    In the option 3 I have no idea if what I gain with that extra ram i am not loosing it with the inferior video card and the lack of dual channel.
    But we still have to determine which video card I need, which is something that (option 4) could send me in a low budget latitude.
    What i want is this: a notebook which responds quickly to my commands, turning on and off and opening programs and windows quickly, running a few things at same time, GIVING ME AS LESS PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND AS POSSIBLE (hardware, softare, any issue), which can give me a good visive experience (wsxga+? True Life?), which is not strictly adjusted to what i need NOW but can give me a bit of breath if I decide to do a bit more complicated things, and which can stay useful for 3-4 years without becoming obsolete too soon.
    I can afford the option 1, and even something more than that. But if what I get is not so much respect to option 3 or 4, why to do it?
    Help...
    What do I need???
    Last edited by Sir Joe; 13th December 2007 at 11:25 PM.

The Bad Ass

Some person here described the Precision like better than I could: "it's built like a tank", so that should give you an idea.
    However, I am sure that they are much more expensive. I wouldn't buy RAM + HDD from Dell and would get them separately. For a 15.4" model I'd say WSXGA+ is the best choice (for a business model).
    True Life is glossy and it will reflect light all the time when you're 10% of the time outside. Anyway, I would chose matte.
    Where have you configured your laptops and have you taken into account that you have to add the VAT?
    I am right 99% of the time. When I'm not I'm an idiot.

NotebookReview x64 Team
    HP 8710P (KE185EA).

Notebook Consultant

WEll, yes, but also for the Latitude they say the same, tank...
    See what they say in the fourth and second reviews here: http://reviews-cdn.dell.com/2341/663/reviews.htm
    "Case and finish do not feel like they will resist damage as well as the Latitudes -- or at least no better. What's with the PLASTIC hinges?"
    I feel confused.
    And also, just now that I was decided for the WSXGA+, sure that in a 15.4" the native resolution was not too much, or that anyway I could have set the dpi in 100 or 120, this guy say "WSXGA+ too small for viewing; cranking down the res results in terrible distortion."
    About matte or glossy, do you know in what exactly do they differ? I read that matte has got less details, more black space between pixels, less viewing angle. And if one can organize the work arera to not have reflections, isn't the glossy a better choice? I feel like if in all what I read I am missing something to decide. And in the shops I can't anymore find a matte screen to see it near a glossy and decide...

The Precision (option 1) is just a bit more expensive than the latitude (at least configured as in option 2). Prices are given by phone from my Dell Agent, with discount.
    They do not include Vat: originally I was not able to choose precision, for my 1200-1300 euro budget (final). But then the agent told my that a commercial can have VAT back. So I asked to my unce, who has got a shop. He will buy it for me. I will give him just the money without vat, as now at the end of the years he will receive it back. Or something like that.
    Cool.
    Well, i wait for other suggestions!

can i haz broadwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Joe View Post
    WEll, yes, but also for the Latitude they say the same, tank...
    See what they say in the fourth and second reviews here: http://reviews-cdn.dell.com/2341/663/reviews.htm
    "Case and finish do not feel like they will resist damage as well as the Latitudes -- or at least no better. What's with the PLASTIC hinges?"
    I feel confused.
    And also, just now that I was decided for the WSXGA+, sure that in a 15.4" the native resolution was not too much, or that anyway I could have set the dpi in 100 or 120, this guy say "WSXGA+ too small for viewing; cranking down the res results in terrible distortion."
    About matte or glossy, do you know in what exactly do they differ? I read that matte has got less details, more black space between pixels, less viewing angle. And if one can organize the work arera to not have reflections, isn't the glossy a better choice? I feel like if in all what I read I am missing something to decide. And in the shops I can't anymore find a matte screen to see it near a glossy and decide...

The Precision (option 1) is just a bit more expensive than the latitude (at least configured as in option 2). Prices are given by phone from my Dell Agent, with discount.
    They do not include Vat: originally I was not able to choose precision, for my 1200-1300 euro budget (final). But then the agent told my that a commercial can have VAT back. So I asked to my unce, who has got a shop. He will buy it for me. I will give him just the money without vat, as now at the end of the years he will receive it back. Or something like that.
    Cool.
    Well, i wait for other suggestions!
    1) The Latitude as metal hinges just like almost every other laptop out there these days. You can't see them like on a ThinkPad because the plastic cover, but they're there.

2) The "terrible distortion" is honestly a matter of opinion. Yes, the screen IS slightly less crisp at anything other than native resolution, but I'm using WUXGA at 1280 x 800 and I think it's great.

3) If you've got two laptop screens, turned off, the glossy screen with reflect light and the matte screen will not. I think it's just a matter of the finish of the screen.
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

Intel NUC DC53427HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

Notebook Consultant

Commander! I want to thank you for the thread. And, it may sound ingenuous, but I am happy to receive an answer from you...
    Well, sorry, but what is a hinges???
    And it is better in plastic or in metal? In other words, which notebook is in advantage respect to this, the latitude or the precision?
    And generally speaking, have you got any idea of the advantages and disadvantages of these two notebooks?
    I know your opinion about lowing down the native resolution. I agree in my little experience. For this reason and for your post i was decided for a WSXGA+. But, as probably I will never need it on a 15.4" (just probably), if I can save 100 euro by choosing the latitude with the wxga, I could do it. The fact is that I can't find out which advantages would give me the WSXGA+ screen vs the wxga. And the most importan thing which made me choose the precision with wsxga+ was that there i was able to choose glossy, while in latitude not. But now I feel very confused because I read everywhere bad comments on the glossy, and if i decide for the matte i can't buy the Precision... It seem that any time I decide for a notebook it happen something which forces me to start again.
    So, I would ask you if you can give me your opinion on the differences between two same identical notebooks, one glossy and one matte, in favorable light. Wich advantages and disadvantages give one and the other?
    I am confused as in Dell site they say that graphic professional choose glossy for the better details and less black space between pixels. And in favorable light there are not reflections.
    But someone told me that even in favorable light the glossy tires eyes soon.
    Then, i'll really thank you if you can give me an opinion about the 4 options I wrote two posts above.
    I still can't choose.
    Thanks!

look at all the colors...

Just to let you no, for your needs the FX360m is exactly the same as the NVS135m. They are both based on the same card, just with different branding. The NVS140m is slightly better, but since you don't game it doesn't matter. For your needs even the x3100 would be fine, but for future proofing you probably want to stick with a dedicated card. I'd say:

1) Precision with Nvidia Quadro FX360M, and True Life (glossy) display, for 1139 euro.
    2) Latitude with Nvidia Quadro 140M, and not glossy display, for about 1085 euro
    3) Latitude with 135M video Card but with 1x2048+1x1024 of Ram. Anyway i am still trying to understand if the lack of dual channel (it works only with 2x same dimension modules as far as i know) is compensated enough by the more ram to worth the extra money and the sacrifice of 140m over 135m.
    4) Latitude low budget, with video from intel 3100 to quadro 140M depending on what you all will suggest me, and screen from wxga to wsxga+ (as before, depending on your suggestions), and just 2x1024 of ram. With this one I could save a good few money, but i really need to be sure that it will not become a problem in a couple of years (obsolete machine) or that i would be too limited now if i start doing some simple graphic or editing.
    All these options are fine. For RAM, dual channel will still work even with uneven sticks. I don't know what the pricing is like where you are, but often it's much cheaper to buy a 2GB stick and upgrade yourself after you buy the laptop, as Dell often overcharges for RAM. However, for your needs just 2GB would be fine for now, you can always upgrade later if you need to.

I'd get whichever configuration is cheapest, either with the 135M or 360M. Since you're looking into doing some graphics work and video editing, a high resolution screen (WSXGA+) would probably be useful.
    Asus F8SV for play
    Dell D830 for work

Notebook Consultant

Just to let you no, for your needs the FX360m is exactly the same as the NVS135m. They are both based on the same card, just with different branding. The NVS140m is slightly better
    please define "branding" As you "may" have noticed, my english is not perfewct, ops, it was not by will...
    And, are you sure? 135m is 128mb dedicated, 140M and FX360M are 256. i think, well, no, I have read that FX is the 140M with different bios and driver to give it OpenGL capabilities.
    About that, what is OpenGL for? When would I use it? Only in professional 3d or cad? Or maybe the OS (at least Vista) runs better with an OpenGl capable video card? Or the 64bit os...
    For RAM, dual channel will still work even with uneven sticks
    Are you sure once again? I have always heard that it only function if the two modules are same dimension. And lately a Kingston technician told me that they must be also same brand... I.E.: kingston sells blisters with a pair of dimm especially tested and guarateed to function in duall channel. It seems that a slighty differenc in performances made them not function as a team. So that, even more dramatic, not only same brand, but also same stock, same all. if you buy one kingston now and one in two months, it is not guaranteed...
    I'd get whichever configuration is cheapest, either with the 135M or 360M.
    undoubtly the 135M is cheaper. I could even have the money to then put a T7700 processor. It will cost me 70 euro more. Do you think that it could give me a reasonable longest life, I mean, not to me, to the notebook, in terms of youthfulness in time? Is it reasonable for the price?
    Since you're looking into doing some graphics work and video editing, a high resolution screen (WSXGA+) would probably be useful
    well, I will not do graphic. I will maybe edit some home video in the future, maybe do some 2d or 3d graphic. And a 1280x800 is good for me usually, but I fear that the wxga has got not the same image quality of a wsxga+ nor its wider viewing angle, especially in a matte screen...
    Thanks for the answer!

look at all the colors...

Nvidia has three lines of mobile graphics cards, the Geforce line, the Quadro FX line, and the Quadro NVS line. The Quadro NVS 135m and the Quadro FX360m are both based off of the Geforce 8400M-GS. The Quadro NVS 140m is based off of the more powerful Geforce 8400M-GT. I'm quite sure about this. The amount of dedicated video memory is not very important, as none of these cards are powerful enough to use 256mb of video RAM.

For the dual channel issue, if you have 1GB and 2GB, then what you will have is 2GB running in dual channel, and the extra 1GB running in single channel. Whereas with 1GB and 1GB you would just have 2GB running in dual channel. So the 1GB and 2GB is definitely better.

For the screens, in my experience Dell's matte screens tend to have better viewing angles, if that's important to you. What size and resolution screen are you used to using now?
    Asus F8SV for play
    Dell D830 for work

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast