Quantcast Monitoring Notebook Temps: nVidia & ATI, CPU, HDD - Do your temps worry you? - Page 5

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Monitoring mobile ATI & nVidia Video Card Temps - Do your temps worry you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gophn View Post
    Thibault, you can always upgrade your videocard to a 6800/7800GTX/7900GTX/7950GTX when you want, although they run for about $400-500.

your CPU should never really get past 70C degrees since the system should cool it down around 55-60C degrees at max load.

your HDD should idle around 35C degrees, i havent seen mine go past 45C degrees for about a year now.

I can upgrade my video card >.<
    Well I don't have any plans to do so in the near future but I'll probably consider it someday.

Well my HDD idles in the low 40 degree C. My CPU isn't a problem it hasn't gone over 40 yet.
    Life is a sexually transmitted disease

Sager NP5750 : 17" WXGA | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 | 4GB Memory | 320GB 7200 RPM HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 | Windows 7 Professional
    Asus Eee 1005HA : 10.1" WSVGA | Intel Atom N280 | 2GB Memory | 160GB 5400 RPM HDD | Mobile Intel GMA 950 | Windows 7 Professional

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Monitoring mobile ATI & nVidia Video Card Temps - Do your temps worry you?

I tried running Riva Tuner and it wouldn't work for me either. Im using the
    Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.330 (Catalyst 7.1). Guess I'll try it for my desktop though.

By reading what Chaz and TwilightVampire say there is now way to monitor the temps of the X700. Is this correct?
    Compaq Presario V4000T
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz)
    15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
    128MB ATI MOBILITY(TM) RADEON(R) X700
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
    BYTECC Aluminum Cooling Pad

Notebook Enthusiast

Gophn...thanks for the article and all the information. It is very much appreciated. Unfortunately Im not a high tech computer guru like a lot of others on this forum.

I just downloaded NHC. I understand the basics as far as the temp monitoring and all. I havent changed any settings in the software. Perhaps you can make a basic guide as far as the settings are concerned if anything needs to be changed. ie under CPU Speed settings Dynamic Switching is selected for both AC and battery power. I have no idea what dynamic switching is. Also, under ACPI, CPU temp warning is set to 80C, and CPU temp shutdown at 95C. Are those settings appropriate for all laptops in general, or does it depend on the spec of the PCU? Also, every now and then the green bars on the bottom right will jump from green to red and the 1.73GHz goes back and forth to 800 MHz. Is that normal?
    Last edited by sandstorm77; 3rd February 2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added more
    Compaq Presario V4000T
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz)
    15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
    128MB ATI MOBILITY(TM) RADEON(R) X700
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
    BYTECC Aluminum Cooling Pad

NBR Resident Assistant

I have no idea what dynamic switching is. Also, under ACPI, CPU temp warning is set to 80C, and CPU temp shutdown at 95C. Are those settings appropriate for all laptops in general, or does it depend on the spec of the PCU?
    you can leave it on Dynamic Switching (its default), which means that when its on battery (there will be a performance/battery balance), then if plug it into power plug (there will be max performance)

Also, every now and then the green bars on the bottom right will jump from green to red and the 1.73GHz goes back and forth to 800 MHz. Is that normal?
    thats normal, those bars are showing the CPU load at any given time, I found that to be a bit annoying so I disabled it in NHC, I just wanted to know the CPU temp in my taskbar and batterylife only.

NHC is a very customizable program, I was thinking of updating my guide to cover the basics, but the program already makes it very simple to figure out.

Hope this helps,
    -Gophn

| Giveaway: More coming..
    Most popular articles: What is the best notebook brand?.. Exposed. | E3 2009: Booth Girls | Star Wars: The Old Republic - Interview
    VirtualBox - F.A.Q., Tutorial & Guide | Black Friday 2009 - I show you how to NOT wait in line | Xbox 360's for under $100 ... Yay!

Notebook Guru

I'm using G1. What kind of temp is unsafe for CPU, HD and GPU?

NBR Resident Assistant

most of the comments and experiences from others that monitor their notebooks shows:

CPU: (varied, depending on type)
    - although your CPU should never go past 70 C degrees

GPU: (varied, depending on type)
    - GPU can get extremely hot, but has internal thermal control to downclock if it reaches a specific temp.
    - i have seen people get downclocked at 80-85 C degrees, and up to 100C degrees (which is what my GPU's threshold temp is)

HDD: (varied, but usually stable)
    - usually stays warm (up to 45-50C degrees) during use.
    - should set the Power Options to turn off HDD after 10-15min of idle.

| Giveaway: More coming..
    Most popular articles: What is the best notebook brand?.. Exposed. | E3 2009: Booth Girls | Star Wars: The Old Republic - Interview
    VirtualBox - F.A.Q., Tutorial & Guide | Black Friday 2009 - I show you how to NOT wait in line | Xbox 360's for under $100 ... Yay!

Notebook Guru

Ok thanks. My CPU does go slightly above 70. GPU and HDD as per you mentioned.

Notebook Consultant

Hi, I tried using the Notebook Hardware Control program on Vista Home Premium (32-bit version), and I even downloaded the patch for Core 2 Duo CPUs. Once I tried to open the program, I got the blue screen, and I had to do a System Restore on Safe Mode to remove the program. Is there a reason why? Are there any alternatives to NHC? RivaTuner worked fine, though.

NHC is not working on Win Vista. Not yet.

Notebook Consultant

hey i tried this today and it works great. One question though...if the program reports that it its too hot will it automatically tell windows to shut off? I say this because i was playing supreme commander today with this thing on to monitor and 20 minutes in it shut off and restarted on its own with the fans on max speed. This game never caused this to happen before today. Just wondering what caused that to happen.
    Last edited by midnitdragoon; 26th June 2007 at 12:08 PM.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast