Quantcast Will keeping my laptop plugged in hurt battery?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Will keeping my laptop plugged in hurt battery?

I've heard that keeping my laptop plugged in while using at home will drastically shorten battery life. Is this true? Should I only plug my laptop in when the battery is about to run out? Thanks in advance.

rotaredoM repudrepuS RBN

Default Re: Will keeping my laptop plugged in hurt battery?

Take a look at the Battery Guide.
    Latitude D410. 6 years old notebook that did not have a built-in optical drive when built.

HighSpeedFreak

Hurt it? no.
    Slowly kill it? yes.

Laptop GUIDE(temps,perf. etc)
    DELL XPS M1730 - 9800M GTX SLI, X9000(3.6), 4Gb RAM,15506 3dmark06,WUXGA,640 GB and light FX,
    Razer DeathAdder with Razer Exact mat and Razer Barracuda Headsets
    Vote for a new BIOS with fan control for XPS 1730!

Notebook Consultant

From the time a battery is made it is already degrading. How you handle the battery during the time you have it determines how quickly it degrades. When you keep it plugged in it generally does two things to the battery that damage it.

1. It keeps it fully charged. This might seem a bit odd, but the cells in the battery will last the longest when stored with 40% charge.
    2. It causes it to become significantly hotter. Any time you turn electricity through pretty much anything you generate heat, and once a battery is full charged it is provided a 'trickle' charge which is suppose to supply any charge that the computer pulls or leaks, but this charge isn't very precise so much of it automatically becomes heat. The optimum temperature for the batteries is surprising cold, that’s why storing it in a fridge or freezer is often recommended, while a hot car can severally damage it.

Even if you don’t store your battery in the laptop while on AC, you will probably still have your battery at >95% charge. This means that only the temperature is changed, which can still be significant. If your laptop is next to a strong flow of AC it’s not going to be as effected as if its stuffed in a corner with all the heat forced to stay on the laptop. It’s really a personal choice and unless you follow it religiously you probably won’t get a huge amount of gain.

Notebook Consultant

I read the guide, but it seems like it's more hassle than it's worth...
    Compared to just leaving the battery plugged in all the time, how many hours/days/months/years does the whole "removing it while being plugged" thing last?

If you use your laptop where there are power sockets 95% of the time, I just don't see the point... am I missing something here?

Notebook Evangelist

There are some solutions, like my Extended Warranty with Bestbuy gives me the right to change my battery and power brick once for every year of the warranty.

So 3-year warranty for me = 3 battery changes.

A battery change a year, can basically justify me keeping the poor thing in my laptop during adapter-use.
    Online petition bios updates clevo-hm model series please SIGN
    Laptop: Clevo p150hm ATI 6970 (Sandisk Extreme ssd 256gb)
    Alienware M11x-r2 (i7) (sold)
    Bag: Tom Bihn's SuperEgo w/ 2XL size Brain Cell.
    Triple-fi Pro headphones.

Eat.My.Shorts

Quote Originally Posted by variable303 View Post
    I've heard that keeping my laptop plugged in while using at home will drastically shorten battery life. Is this true? Should I only plug my laptop in when the battery is about to run out? Thanks in advance.
    Long and Short...I personally believe from my experience that having ur laptop plugged in all the time will degrade ur batts. life faster...I suggest when it's charged fully to unplug it. Try and make this a habit..I must be honest w/ u...I guess i'm a hypocrite because the laptop i'm using now i'm guilty for always having it plugged in. If I plug it out, or if the current goes..the thing wouldn't last a good 30 mins. Same for another laptop's batt. i've spoiled this way. So...at the end of the day..it's up to u if u want to keep it plugged in all the time or not...I suggest no.

HP ML110G6 Server:
    Intel Xeon X3440 @ 2.53GHz | 16GB DDR3 Mem. | (1)500GB HDD (3)250GB HDDs in Software RAID5 | Windows Server 2012 Standard

Envy 14 Beats:
    Intel Core i5 560M @ 2.67GHz (32nm) | 8GB DDR3 Mem. | Crucial M4 120GB SSD | *BrightView* 1366x768 LCD | Windows 8 Enterprise x64

Rockin the pinktop

I think the problem with leaving them plugged in 24/7 is being at 100%

Past Thinkpad T60, Inspiron 1420, XPS M1330, Presario V2010us
    Present Inspiron 1520, Aspire One D150

JPZ
    Notebook Deity

Don't worry about it. If you life in an area where you lose power frequently, it is a very good idea to keep the battery in your laptop to act as a UPS.

I've put my Z96J 6-cell battery through a lot. It's been discharged almost every day for the last two years(monday-friday for class). I also leave my laptop on 24/7 when I am not in class, plugged into the wall and running folding@home. Even with this rough treatment, my battery still holds 85% of what it was designed to, which I think is amazing.
    Desktop: Q6600@3.6ghz | Gigabyte X38-DS4 | Asus EAH3870 and Sapphire 3870 in Crossfire | 4GB Corsair Dominator | 320GB 7200rpm | 750W Corsair PSU | Custom Liquid Cooling and Scratch Built Case
    Asus Z96J: T2400 1.83ghz | ATI X1600 | 2GB Corsair RAM | Hitachi 7k320 320GB
    Uniwill N258KA: AMD 3200+ 2ghz | ATI 9700m | 1GB RAM | 60GB 7200rpm
    Asus EEE PC 901: Black, 20GB

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Infoseeker View Post
    There are some solutions, like my Extended Warranty with Bestbuy gives me the right to change my battery and power brick once for every year of the warranty.

So 3-year warranty for me = 3 battery changes.

A battery change a year, can basically justify me keeping the poor thing in my laptop during adapter-use.
    within the span of one year, by the 10 month mark you probably will notice a huge decline in performance. Many of my friends have notebooks for schools and never take the battery out, and by the time summer rolled around, all could not hold a charge for over an hour. I hope they invent a new awesome battery!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast