Quantcast Which is the best thermal pad for GPU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Which is the best thermal pad for GPU

I often clean laptops from the inside and take out and clean the heatsink and I have to change the gpu thermal pad. Which is the best kind that gives better cooling heat transfer etc? Also which thickness is better? Is it ok or better to use a 1.5 or 2.0mm pad on a gpu that used to have a 1mm pad? There's so many of them but i don't want to get cheap ones that will not cool efficiently.Also is AS5 the best thermal paste? is there a superior one?
    Last edited by MrSatan; 8th June 2012 at 09:15 PM.

Torque Matters

Default Re: Which is the best thermal pad for GPU

I like ICD better than AS5. Its not conductive and it works well when you add thickness, where as AS5 works better the thinner you can get it.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    I like ICD better than AS5. Its not conductive and it works well when you add thickness, where as AS5 works better the thinner you can get it.
    Does it lower the temps better than AS5?

Zero Cool

As5 is great but cure times are pretty long. Really most top end pastes will work about the same if applied correctly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Main Rig: Sager 8298 4810MQ, GTX 880m, 256GB msata, 750GB and 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram 7 Pro
    SOLD: Alienware 14 - 4700QM, GTX 765M, 8GB RAM, FHD+ IPS, 256GB mSata + WD Scorpio Black 750GB 7 Ultimate
    Main server: Dell precision m4600 - 2860QM, firepro 5950, 16GB 1600mhz RAM 9-9-9-28, WLED FDH+, Intel 520 240GB mSata OS, Seagate hybrid 750GB storage.
    in limbo: Dell precision m4400 Debian squeeze
    Future Home Gym: Vostro 1700 WUXGA!
    In limbo: Thinkpad x200s

My Youtube Channel!

Torque Matters

I did AS5 on my Asus G73 GPU and it lowered the temps over the original paste. But after about 6 months I switched it for the ICD and it seemed to drop the temp a few more degrees.

I have also used it to replace thermal pads in some Dell Latitudes, it worked great there as well.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    I did AS5 on my Asus G73 GPU and it lowered the temps over the original paste. But after about 6 months I switched it for the ICD and it seemed to drop the temp a few more degrees.

I have also used it to replace thermal pads in some Dell Latitudes, it worked great there as well.
    Been reading about it now and it seems pretty good lot of people say its better than AS5. I will order it once my AS5 supply runs out.

Sone

The answer to this question pretty much always end up between PK-1 or ICD.

Personally, I would say get a small tube and try it unless it is outrageous more expensive.
    Dell M6600 : DIY RGB LED IPS / i7-2760QM / Firepro M6100 (downgraded from K5000M ) / Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB / M5M 128GB / 2 Spinner / 24GB DDR3 1333 / Intel 7260 / Intel 6200. ll U2711
    HP DV6z DV6t Asus K53TA Lenovo T61 G530 Dell Vostro1500
    Docomo Prime SH-10C : DEAD

Sharp Aquos 306SH

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by baiii View Post
    The answer to this question pretty much always end up between PK-1 or ICD.

Personally, I would say get a small tube and try it unless it is outrageous more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    As5 is great but cure times are pretty long. Really most top end pastes will work about the same if applied correctly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Well I found a really cheap thermal compound, 907.2 Grams for $7.55. Compare that to 1.5 Grams for $8.49. And it works just as good as ICD. Links:

Amazon.com: Innovation Cooling Diamond "7 Carat" Thermal Compound - 1.5 Grams: Computers & Accessories
    Amazon.com: Spectrum Light Canola Mayo Eggless Vegan -- 32 oz Each: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    Thermal Compound Roundup - February 2012 | Hardware Secrets

Notebook Guru

I been researching and it seems like the best thermal pads are from a company called phobya there are 2 kinds 5w/mk and 7w/mk. I think the ones I'd been using were 3.2w/mk. The better one for laptops seems to be the 5w/mk because it is more flexible and compressible unlike the 7w/mk which are very hard to compress. Anyone had any experience with those?

God

I really have great doubts that your "special" thermal paste that only costed that much works as well as ICD.

thermal pads are different and worse then thermal paste. the best thermal pads have 12w/mk.
    phobia doesn't make thermal pads, they are just a brand, the product itself is made by someone else.
    the thickness depends on the notebook model.

AS5 is conductive and nowadays there are much better, cheaper, and non eletrically conductive alternatives.

if you want something good and cheap get this:
    Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER IceFusion 40G RG-ICF-CWR2-GP Thermal Compound

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast