Quantcast Is it possible to put a backlit keyboard in a laptop that did not have one originally?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Is it possible to put a backlit keyboard in a laptop that did not have one originally?

As the topic states I want to put a backlit keyboard in my HP Pavilion DV7 3067CL and was wondering if it were possible. If anyone is familiar with any websites that have any information I would greatly appreciate it.
    Alienware M18xR2

Intel Ivy Bridge I7 3920XM CPU
    16 gigs DDR3-1600 ram
    500 gig HDD
    32 gig readyboost cache SSD
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 M CFX
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Wanderer

Default Re: Is it possible to put a backlit keyboard in a laptop that did not have one originally?

On my 1558, the connection is there for backlighting, but I don't have a backlit keyboard. It may vary by manufacturer, but I'd bet the motherboard is probably identical across the model.
    Odds are, you're doing it wrong.

Previous: Dell Inspiron e1505
    CC Replacement (current): Dell Studio 1558 || Core i7 720QM, 4GB, 1GB ATI HD5470, 1366x768 LED
    Beater netbook (sold): Aspire One AOA150-1570

Daily Carry Gadgetry: Moto Droid X || Asus TF201 Transformer Prime 32GB

Mr.Mischief

Default Re: Is it possible to put a backlit keyboard in a laptop that did not have one originally?

Nope I checked, its not available for the: dv7-1000, dv7-2000 and dv7-3000. Only the dv7 4000. You could get glow in the dark keyboard stickers: Glowing Keyboard Stickers | Glowing Keyboard | Glow in the dark Keys for Keyboards

Glowing Keyboard Stickers - Glowing Keyboards, Luminous Keyboards

Glowing Keyboard Stickers
    2010 Unibody MacBook 13
    iPhone 5c

Notebook Prophet

Arent backlight keyboards powered by USB??
    so cant you just get like any HP backlight keyboard that sorta fits and run a cable?

as long as you figure out how ribbon cables conduct electricity... never actually figured that one out myself lol

Banned

over at the acer forums there s a guide on how to change out a backlit keyboard for a non one. ITs here .

Multi_Booting_Master

Quote Originally Posted by niffcreature View Post
    Arent backlight keyboards powered by USB??
    so cant you just get like any HP backlight keyboard that sorta fits and run a cable?

as long as you figure out how ribbon cables conduct electricity... never actually figured that one out myself lol
    i don't think so. At least when someone was talking about it before they said that they keyboards use proprietary connections that must be preexisting
    ThinkPad W520
    i7 2920QM / 4x4 Gb ram / Quadro 2000M / 128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen + X-RiteŽ color calibration sensor / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery / Ubuntu 12.04 x64

Legal Windows 7 Download Links (Nice Try, but you still need a key!)
    The HP Laptop Out-Of-The-Box Guide 2.0 for Windows 7

Notebook Deity

On laptops it would take some soldering to the circuit board, possible a battery or two, and space to have the lights in. All laptops can have back lit keyboards the main issue, if knowledge/skill is not a factor, is space.