Quantcast Changing WEP to WPA - linksys

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Changing WEP to WPA - linksys

Hi everyone,
    I tried to change the level of security on my laptop from WEP to WPA using the "Change advanced settings" but afterwards, I was unable to connect to the internet. I removed the only available network from the list and added it again and was able to connect, but only with WEP security. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G and was wondering if I'm going about changing it to WPA correctly.

Do I have to plug my laptop into the router and go to the 198.XXX.XXX page and change the security settings from there? Or can the router remain plugged into the desktop and change it via there? Also, I was reading about downloading the Windows hotfix for WPAPSK, would that also be required for the laptop? I guess I don't understand if the level of security is actually "within" the router's settings (after we set it) or if it's on each computer that connects to the router, that is, we have to change the level of security on each computer.

Thanks in advance for your help

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Changing WEP to WPA - linksys

Need to change the security on the router to WPA first then change the client settings on any pc that connects wirelessly to it.

Notebook Virtuoso

Yes, You do need to make the change to the router to. YOU MUST DO THIS THROUGH A WIRED CONNECTION. As you make changes you will loose your wireless. Till you get bot PC and router setup with the same key. Wile you are in there set the radio for "G Only" If you have no 11b products.

NBR Super Moderator

Log in to the router (preferably via wire as you'll need to reset wireless)- so go to 192.168.1.1 and than change settings to WPA 2 PSK (AES). Than change your laptop settings as well- if your XP is update you can use WPA.

You don't need to set WEP, WPA or WPA2 on the laptop- it' the router who decides what is the security scheme- you just need to set the same passphrase on both. So set the WPA2 and if it doesn't work fall back to WPA.

Regards

Zero Cool

changing the encryption type on the laptop wont change the router. If it did then all someone would have to do is change the excryption type without logging into the router. Login as they have stated above.
    Main Rig: Sager 8298 4810MQ, GTX 880m, 256GB msata, 750GB and 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram 7 Pro
    SOLD: Alienware 14 - 4700QM, GTX 765M, 8GB RAM, FHD+ IPS, 256GB mSata + WD Scorpio Black 750GB 7 Ultimate
    Main server: Dell precision m4600 - 2860QM, firepro 5950, 16GB 1600mhz RAM 9-9-9-28, WLED FDH+, Intel 520 240GB mSata OS, Seagate hybrid 750GB storage.
    in limbo: Dell precision m4400 Debian squeeze
    Future Home Gym: Vostro 1700 WUXGA!
    In limbo: Thinkpad x200s

My Youtube Channel!

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the (quick!) replies everyone. Could I just clarify something please? Once I change the security setting on the router via my wired desktop, I should then turn on my laptop, see the available wireless networks, select it, and then change its security settings and passphrase etc. via the "Change advanced settings" to match those that I just changed at the 192.168.1.1 site? Then I should restart my laptop and will I have to enter the passphrase each time or is it automatic? When it was on WEP I was connected automatically.

Thanks again for your help.

Notebook Evangelist

It should be automatic after you setup your laptop for WKA.

I just did all that you outlined last week and it was a huge pain as I never updated the firmware on my LinkSys router in the 2 years that I've had it. Updating the firmware made a huge difference.

HP nc8430 (#EY688AA) / Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz / 15.4" 1680x1050
    WinXP Pro / ATI x1600 256MB / 80GB / 1GB RAM
    DVD-Multiburner / 802.11abg / Bluetooth
    Fingerprint Sensor / 3 USB / Firewire

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Luar
    It should be automatic after you setup your laptop for WKA.
    What's WKA? How do I setup my laptop for WKA? Do you mean once I turn on the laptop it'll automatically list the wireless network in my house and under advanced settings it'll be for WPA? I'm sorry, I don't quite understand.

Linux geek con rat flail!

He probably meant WPA. WKA isn't anything as far as I know. And yes, it will automatically connect to a WPA protected network just as it connected to your WEP protected network. Windows will save the password if you ask it to.
    It's really not too hard. You can do it all without a reboot of anything but the router.
    For Windows, after you have set your router up to use WPA encryption and rebooted the router with the wired connection as outlined above, you just browse for the wireless network (I assume you can see your network when browsing for wireless connections), connect, and Windows should ask you for a password. Enter the password you set WPA up to use, and tell Windows to always automatically connect to that network. You should then be done.
    HP Envy 15 | Win7x64 | i5-540M | Radeon 5830 1GB | 6GB DDR3-1066 | 256GB Crucial M225 SSD | Matte 15.6" 1920x1080
    Get your answers here!
    Answers: $5
    Good Answers: $10
    Correct Answers: $20
    Well-researched Answers complete with reference: time and materials
    Dumb looks are still free

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Pitabred
    You can do it all without a reboot of anything but the router.
    For Windows, after you have set your router up to use WPA encryption and rebooted the router with the wired connection as outlined above, you just browse for the wireless network (I assume you can see your network when browsing for wireless connections), connect, and Windows should ask you for a password. Enter the password you set WPA up to use, and tell Windows to always automatically connect to that network. You should then be done.
    Sorry to be such a pest, but by reboot router, do you mean I have to reset my router by pressing that orange button and then log on to the 198.XXX site? Or do I just turn on desktop, turn on modem and router, change settings on the 198.XXX page to WPA encryption, save settings and then turn on laptop and follow the steps you just outlined? Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast