Quantcast Network no longer in range - laptop won't connect

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Network no longer in range - laptop won't connect

Hi everyone,
    I installed my router (Linksys WRT54G) as follows:
    Desktop plugged into router, modem plugged into router. The desktop can connect and that was when I changed the router password as well as the key.

I've tried to get my laptop to connect wirelessly but I keep getting the message: "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range..." I try to connect again but nothing happens.

I read through this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
    Specifically the section under Configure your wireless router and have gone through the steps with my laptop. I'm not sure if I did that correctly though. Is the section Administrative password asking for the key that was decided when configuring the desktop? or the router password? or something new?

After that I've disconnected the cable and tried to connect wirelessly to the wireless network listed but then it says I'm out of range, even though I'm right beside the router.

Thanks in advance for reading and for your help.

The guy from The Notebook

Default Re: Network no longer in range - laptop won't connect

i have the wrt54g router, and it is pretty finnicky, keep your laptop a good ways away (at least several feet, but not across several rooms at least for the test).

192.168.1.1 into the desktop browser, open the router page

click the wireless tab, make sure the "wireless network mode" matches the wireless type of your laptop

make sure the wireless channel matches that on your laptop settings

go to access restrictions tab

make sure you set your router to allow multiple connections at once

try that