Quantcast What public places have the fastest wireless speed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Hoarder

Default What public places have the fastest wireless speed?

I want to download my games from steam but my DSL internet is beyond dreadful. I was wondering if there are public places (e.g. pub, starbuck, macdonald) that have a much faster internet and I can use to download my games? If so what are the download speed usually?

Thanks

15.6" 1920 x 1080 95% NTSC Matte Display | Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM | 16GB PC3-12800/1600Mhz DDR3 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 580M | 750GB 7200rpm HD | 6X Blu-ray Reader | Window 7 HP | Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1103 | IC Diamond 7

308 Negra Arroyo Lane

Default Re: What public places have the fastest wireless speed?

Quote Originally Posted by _Cheesy_ View Post
    I want to download my games from steam but my DSL internet is beyond dreadful. I was wondering if there are public places (e.g. pub, starbuck, macdonald) that have a much faster internet and I can use to download my games? If so what are the download speed usually?

Thanks
    Usually, the McDonald's/Starbucks/WanPub speeds are going to be 1.5-3Mbps. McDonald's uses T1 lines.
    H * π

There's always a flaw in the system. Finding it is the fun part. Exposing it is the dangerous part. Utilizing it is the human part.

Notebook Virtuoso

there are so many variables to public/gratis wifi including the very real possibility that some (many?) places will be throttling or completely blocking large downloads that it is impossible to tell in advance or even from day to day.

Notebook Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L. 9000 View Post
    Usually, the McDonald's/Starbucks/WanPub speeds are going to be 1.5-3Mbps. McDonald's uses T1 lines.
    These kinds of establishment only give you free wifi to foster their business. For that reason there's not need for them to be anything other than dismally slow.

On the other hand, librarys are still free; and many cities and municipalities have added wifi to their transit buses and trains. They're even some sections in and around public parks and area that offer it as well.

I suppose you might be able to download a game or movie or two while you have a picnic or if your commute is long enough.
    Dell Precision M6700 Covet |IPS Display|3940XM|Nvidia Quadro K5000m|32GB Corsair Vengeance® 1866Mhz|Backlit keyboard|Samsung 512GB SSD|OCZ Technology 240 GB Vertex4 SATA III|Micron C400 mSATA SSDW8 Pro|1TB Internal HDD|Panasonic External SATA Slot Load |Win 8.1

HDX X18-1180US|HP 18.4 Ultra Bright View Display|Q9000 CPU|Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB|8GB DDR2 667 Mhz RAM|Backlit keyboard|1TB (2X 500GB) Hitachi Travelstar SATA 7200 RPM|Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS|Antivirus

Notebook Hoarder

Thank you for the input.

I really hope you guys are right cause I'm dying to play my newly bought games and running benchmark, etc...

15.6" 1920 x 1080 95% NTSC Matte Display | Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM | 16GB PC3-12800/1600Mhz DDR3 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 580M | 750GB 7200rpm HD | 6X Blu-ray Reader | Window 7 HP | Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1103 | IC Diamond 7

The orange end is cold...

IMO go to your local tech college, not exactly "public" but with a few hundred people there no one will notice/care.

I was getting a 6-7mb download with a crappy intell 5100 through steam. IRRC it was in the 10+range when I had my 6200 last year...
    How to Solder...
    m6600(RIP), t60p, Sentia m3200, m6800

LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Quote Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
    IMO go to your local tech college, not exactly "public" but with a few hundred people there no one will notice/care.
    They don't require MAC authentication? Very unusual and shame on them.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
    but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -A.E. 1947

The orange end is cold...

Quote Originally Posted by Qing Dao View Post
    They don't require MAC authentication? Very unusual and shame on them.
    nope... most of the ones I've seen have at least 1 unsecured network for students.
    How to Solder...
    m6600(RIP), t60p, Sentia m3200, m6800

Notebook Virtuoso

MAC authentication is easy to bypass. So easy that it can't even be called a hack. Childs play really.

Notebook Guru

In my area ( N.E Oho) Panera stores have the fastest connection. I don't know the actual speed but I go there for iOS updates. Each is 650 MG and the download finishes in 18-22 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast