Quantcast Do wireless routers have the risk of overheating?

Closed Thread
    Took me long enough
    Back from the dead. Actually back from being a boring person.

Default Do wireless routers have the risk of overheating?

So we've had our D-link DIR-300 router for a few years now. There weren't much issues with it, and I actually find it useful since I can easily set up port forwarding with it. But recently, we've been having some internet connectivity issues, i.e. the DNS server doesn't respond or that no websites respond even though the router says it's connected to the internet.

At first, of course, I thought it was with our ISP (known to have a lot of problems esp. after the recent typhoon in the country) but when they checked up with me they said they can't find anything of note with our connection (and I believe them, because unlike our previous ISP, I still get to see the IP address, gateway masks and settings in the wireless router).

So now I'm thinking: could it possibly be our wireless router? Recently it's been heating up, and I'm curious as to the possibility that the router is now malfunctioning because of that. Is that possible? We never get disconnected from the WiFi signal, it's just the internet access itself that fluctuates.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
    [New] HP dv6-7009tx | Intel Core i7-3610QM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB | 750GB HDD | MyDigitalSSD Smart Series 64GB mSSD cache | 16GB 1600mhz DDR3
    Windows 7: How do you turn the white area on the explorer window transparent?

<3 xkcd

Default Re: Do wireless routers have the risk of overheating?

I once had a dlink router, which even in it's day was considered to be pretty crappy and cheap. I never figured out what exactly was making it drop connections all the time, but narrowed it down to either 1) horrible dns/dhcp handling or 2) terrible hardware. It was constantly very hot even in the basement during winter, and I had to hard-reset it pretty much daily. It didn't last more than a week and I avoid dlink now

So yes, they can and do overheat. Just like anything that draws electricity.
    (2012) Macbook Air- i7 2.0ghz, HD4000, 13" 1440x900 LEDLCD, 256GB SSD/8GB DDR3, OSX+ Win7 + Debian
    (2010) Asus G73jhA2- i7-720, ATI 5870 1GB GDDR5, 17" 1920x1080 LEDLCD, 1TB 7200/8GB DDR3, Win7 + Debian
    (2006) Compal HEL80- C2D T5600 @2.18ghz OC, NV go7600 256mb GDDR2 OC'd, 15" 1280x800 LCD, 120GB 5400/2GB DDR2, WinXP - retired
    Join the NBR BF3 platoon! |
    Quick G73 setup guide

Banned

i got a crappy trendnet router that worked fine for about 6 months and every so often i have to restart it to get the internet to work...same issues you have and mine has ran hot since i got it....i figured the same thing as well

NBR Super Moderator

It's hard to tell from the pictures on the net if this router has heatsinks or not. Most likely it doesn't- it may have an RF shield but I'm not sure of that either.

The main CPU is placed at the bottom of the router when it's lying flat. I think D-Link adds a stand for it so it may be placed vertically- that would help to cool down the used-to-be-bottom of it- first thing to try.

Second one- if it doesn't help open it up and see if there are any heatsinks on a switch and main CPU- if not you may want to look for some old heatsinks from chipsets or two heatsinks for TSOP memory and place them there.

Third option- assuming nothing helps- if it's revision B flash it with DD-WRT. May be it's D-Link being D-Link and not working properly.

Moderately Boss

Point a small fan at it all day and see if it continues. My old netcomm used to drop out intermittently during summer.
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Took me long enough
    Back from the dead. Actually back from being a boring person.

Quote Originally Posted by downloads View Post
    It's hard to tell from the pictures on the net if this router has heatsinks or not. Most likely it doesn't- it may have an RF shield but I'm not sure of that either.

The main CPU is placed at the bottom of the router when it's lying flat. I think D-Link adds a stand for it so it may be placed vertically- that would help to cool down the used-to-be-bottom of it- first thing to try.

Second one- if it doesn't help open it up and see if there are any heatsinks on a switch and main CPU- if not you may want to look for some old heatsinks from chipsets or two heatsinks for TSOP memory and place them there.

Third option- assuming nothing helps- if it's revision B flash it with DD-WRT. May be it's D-Link being D-Link and not working properly.
    So I've been out and I haven't read this in a while. -_-'

I tried to diagnose the router by first directly connecting my ISP router to my laptop, and then seeing that it works transfered it to the D-link and connected through the WiFi signal--no dice.

Tried the ethernet ports of the router. Well, no dice too.

I would have done what you recommended, but well dad wanted the router whole for the warranty. Ended up buying a new N-router this time, Linksys WRT-120N. Lol. Placed in on the wall where it can be panned on by the fan, so I hope it won't heat up anymore.

Wow, I almost wanna tear that old router apart. Just to see.
    [New] HP dv6-7009tx | Intel Core i7-3610QM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB | 750GB HDD | MyDigitalSSD Smart Series 64GB mSSD cache | 16GB 1600mhz DDR3
    Windows 7: How do you turn the white area on the explorer window transparent?