Quantcast Sending Wireless Signal FROM Laptop to second wired wireless router?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Sending Wireless Signal FROM Laptop to second wired wireless router?

You see, my laptop can see my wireless signal but my PDA can't when in the same room as my laptop.

I have two routers (and wiring the second router from the first and using it as an access point isn't an option).

Is there any way I can send the wireless signal from my laptop obtained from the parent router to the other wireless router (through an ethernet cable) and then connect my PDA to the second router as an access point?

I tried connecting the router from the LAN and WAN port and bridging my wireless connection with the LAN connection from the router connected to my laptop. In both cases (through LAN and WAN ports on the wired router), I was not able to connect to the original wireless signal after I bridged the connections.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

I beat spamers with stiks

Default Re: Sending Wireless Signal FROM Laptop to second wired wireless router?

Well, first off, what wireless capabilities do both your laptop and pda support. It sounds like the router may not be set to the right network (IE if your pda is only wireless-b, the router could only be sending out g).
    2012 13" Air
    2GHz i7/8GB/256GB SSD
    ||
    Series 7 Slate
    1.6GHz i5/4GB/128GB Win8
    2009 Mini
    2.26GHz C2D/6GB/80GB SSD/ML Server
    ||
    T400
    2.26GHz C2D/4GB/500GB/7 Ult.
    Custom Desktop
    3770k@4.3GHz/32GB@1600MHz/256GB M42x5870/X-Fi

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Sending Wireless Signal FROM Laptop to second wired wireless router?

My router sends mixed b/g, my HTC Dream can detect the signal but it's so weak it drops out more than it connects.

NBR Super Moderator

OK- it seems half of my posts in this sub-forum start this way but…
    Use inSSIDer to see what signal strength is and what channels are being used.
    It may be enough to change the wireless channel to one that’s not occupied and preferably one that is not overlapping (that is 1, 6, and 11 for the US and 1, 5, 9 and 13 in Europe)

EDIT: inSSIDer is here: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Notebook Geek

I have an app on my phone which I used to scan wireless channels when I lived in an apartment with many signals. At the moment I'm living up in the middle of nowhere and there are no other wireless signals so I shouldn't have any problems with a channel being occupied. Although I'm not sure what you meant about overlapping.

NBR Super Moderator

Overlapping would concern you only if there were some neighbouring networks.
    I'd recommend using inSSIDer anyway- that's unless your PDA reports signal strength, but on the other hand it's the PDA that has problems connecting not the laptop so I'd rather use laptop for scanning.

Notebook Geek

Yeah I do trust the inSSIDer signal strengths more than I would the app on my phone. However, my phone can connect perfectly to my wireless connection when I'm closer to the router, it has no problems connecting, it just doesn't have as good of a receiver as my laptop's (which I'd expect).

I'm trying to find workarounds that are free and don't involve me hardwiring ethernet cables around the house (that's not an option). That would rule out buying a wireless router capable of ddwrt and setting it up as a wireless repeater halfway between the router and the room I'm trying to get signal in.

I'm looking for an option that could involve transferring the wireless signal from my laptop to a second router I have that I hooked up to the ethernet port on my laptop, then having that laptop send out the signal which I could then connect to it with my phone as an access point.

I beat spamers with stiks

Quote Originally Posted by Batmaniac View Post
    I'm trying to find workarounds that are free and don't involve me hardwiring ethernet cables around the house (that's not an option). That would rule out buying a wireless router capable of ddwrt and setting it up as a wireless repeater halfway between the router and the room I'm trying to get signal in.
    No it doesn't. You can set dd-wrt up in repeater mode so that it both connects over wifi and also extends over wifi.
    2012 13" Air
    2GHz i7/8GB/256GB SSD
    ||
    Series 7 Slate
    1.6GHz i5/4GB/128GB Win8
    2009 Mini
    2.26GHz C2D/6GB/80GB SSD/ML Server
    ||
    T400
    2.26GHz C2D/4GB/500GB/7 Ult.
    Custom Desktop
    3770k@4.3GHz/32GB@1600MHz/256GB M42x5870/X-Fi

Notebook Geek

I know, I was saying it's ruled out because I'm looking for a workaround that's free. =) The second router I have doesn't support ddwrt and the first router isn't mine to tamper with (belongs to the landlady).

NBR Super Moderator

What's your operating system and wireless card?

EDIT:If you are using Win 7 this may work for you: http://www.connectify.me/about.html
    There is also an option called SoftAP for Broadcom drivers but there are some things I'm not sure of at the moment- does it work as AP only when internet access is provided via cable connection and does it even work with systems other that Win XP and/or drivers newer than 3.100.xx
    Last edited by downloads; 23rd January 2010 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast