Quantcast ATT DSL: What equipment do I need router/modem?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default ATT DSL: What equipment do I need router/modem?

I'm going to be getting DSL from ATT but I didn't buy the equipment from them (overprice, ty warranty, etc), but I don't know what I need to get. I guess I need a modem, the wireless thingie (n-draft I think) and cables? I've really no clue. Can I get some advice?
    HP Pavilion dv6700t Special Edition CTO - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) - Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.50 GHz) - 3GB DDR2 - Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 - For Core 2 Duo Processors - Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN and Bluetooth - 250GB 5400RPM - One 6 Cell and One 12 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries Dead after 3 years. Bleep you HP!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: ATT DSL: What equipment do I need router/modem?

Quote Originally Posted by octavia View Post
    I'm going to be getting DSL from ATT but I didn't buy the equipment from them (overprice, ty warranty, etc), but I don't know what I need to get. I guess I need a modem, the wireless thingie (n-draft I think) and cables? I've really no clue. Can I get some advice?
    You basically need an ADSL MODEM ROUTER with or without wireless as per your requirement. Definitely draft 'n' wifi will be faster than 'g' but your desktop/ laptop needs to be 'n' compatible to make use of that else u'll only waste money on 'n'. You can go for DLINK if you want something cheap and good, else LINKSYS would be a better choice.

Notebook Prophet

I've always heard linksys to suck.

And for DSL you also need to have the telecom demarc (the point where all the phone lines join and are switched to optical fiber) very near your house (<3.5km) or the connection is certain to suck.

[SIZE="1"]JCNATOR-5770: MSI P55-GD65, Core i5 750, MSI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5 1st gen, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (1333 effective), 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
    MacBook Pro 13'' June 2010
    http://c90land.myminicity.com/com

Notebook Deity

What are you going to be doing on this network? Are you going to be gaming or doing light office work? Are you planning to stream lots of HD media? We'd all love to help you, but we need more information in order to make the best recommendation for you (We wouldn't want to recommend a light office router when you are attempting to stream multiple HD streams while downloading large files and gaming!). In general, however, all you need to purchase is an ADSL modem and a wireless router.
    MacBook Air 13 (Mid 2012) | Core i5 | 8 GB DDR3 1666 | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | WXGA+ LED | 256 GB SSD | Mac OS X Mountain Lion

MacBook Pro 13 (Early 2011) | Core i5-2410M | 8 GB DDR3 1333 | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | WXGA LED | 500 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive | Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Dell Latitude E6400 | Alienware m9750

I am the walrus

Quote Originally Posted by JCMS View Post
    I've always heard linksys to suck.

And for DSL you also need to have the telecom demarc (the point where all the phone lines join and are switched to optical fiber) very near your house (<3.5km) or the connection is certain to suck.
    Linksys suck? Every company has a bad model now and then, but for the most part, linksys is the safest bet. If you don't know, get linksys. It may not be the best, but it will not be the worst.

And the telcom demarc is not where all the phone lines are switched to fiber optic.

The demarc is the point where the responsibility changes from the telephone company to you--in a home, usually the outer wall.

The term you are looking for is "Switching station"
    A desperate man for desperate times

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by gerryf19 View Post
    Linksys suck? Every company has a bad model now and then, but for the most part, linksys is the safest bet. If you don't know, get linksys. It may not be the best, but it will not be the worst.
    That is true. I have owned plenty of wireless routers from many brand names, and every router that I have owned has its pros and cons. However, don't just look at Linksys; shop around! See what great deals you can get from NewEgg, Buy.com, Amazon.com, Ebay.com, your local electronics stores, etc. You are bound to get a good deal and an excellent wireless router that will meet or exceed your needs.

For the ADSL modem, I recommend using a Netopia 2241-VGx that I bought from Keenzo for $37.39 (http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=694580). It is much more responsive than D-Link's flagship DSL modem, the DSL-2320B, and warms up quite a bit so make sure to put it in a well ventilated place.
    Last edited by idq000; 4th August 2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Wrong URL
    MacBook Air 13 (Mid 2012) | Core i5 | 8 GB DDR3 1666 | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | WXGA+ LED | 256 GB SSD | Mac OS X Mountain Lion

MacBook Pro 13 (Early 2011) | Core i5-2410M | 8 GB DDR3 1333 | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | WXGA LED | 500 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive | Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Notebook Evangelist

I think they'll always provide you the Siemens/Motorola modem, it's included with the service. Any router is probably just fine, for example I have the Netgear WGR-614NA picked it up for about $16 shipped. Very important tip ... plug both your modem and router on the same power strip... and use the on/off button from the power strip, you know when you turn them on and off, insted of the on/off button from the modem. A lot of DSL modems tend to fail when you use the on/off power button a lot. Remember to set your WPA key to 42 characters minimum, don't use a short key.
    Sony VPC-F237FX / Sony VGN-Z530

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Twiz57 View Post
    I think they'll always provide you the Siemens/Motorola modem, it's included with the service. Any router is probably just fine, for example I have the Netgear WGR-614NA picked it up for about $16 shipped. Very important tip ... plug both your modem and router on the same power strip... and use the on/off button from the power strip, you know when you turn them on and off, insted of the on/off button from the modem. A lot of DSL modems tend to fail when you use the on/off power button a lot. Remember to set your WPA key to 42 characters minimum, don't use a short key.
    Twiz57 is correct; you should have been offered a free Motorola modem when you sign up for service, but I must warn you that I have read that the Motorola 2210 modem that AT&T gives out gets so hot that there are isolated incidents in which modems melted the plastic casing and essentially cooked itself to death within or just over a year, when the warranty expires. Personally, I have not heard of any Motorola 2210 modem lasting for longer than a year; even my neighbor went through a few before AT&T gave in and replaced it with a 2Wire. A good way of preventing it from overheating (and/or melting) is to turn it upside down (where the vents are), put it on an air rack, mount it to the wall, pop off the cover and install a fan on it, get a notebook cooler and put the modem on one of the fans, etc.; you get the idea.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by idq000 View Post
    What are you going to be doing on this network? Are you going to be gaming or doing light office work? Are you planning to stream lots of HD media? We'd all love to help you, but we need more information in order to make the best recommendation for you (We wouldn't want to recommend a light office router when you are attempting to stream multiple HD streams while downloading large files and gaming!). In general, however, all you need to purchase is an ADSL modem and a wireless router.
    It's mostly for office work, I have a home office. I also watch some television (I don't have a TV set) like Hulu, but not that much; my DSL is like 2 or 1.5 so I don't need a very powerful modem. I was planning to go to a best buy or some other local place. I'm in Chicago.
    HP Pavilion dv6700t Special Edition CTO - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) - Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.50 GHz) - 3GB DDR2 - Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 - For Core 2 Duo Processors - Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN and Bluetooth - 250GB 5400RPM - One 6 Cell and One 12 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries Dead after 3 years. Bleep you HP!

Notebook Deity

It's mostly for office work, I have a home office. I also watch some television (I don't have a TV set) like Hulu, but not that much; my DSL is like 2 or 1.5 so I don't need a very powerful modem. I was planning to go to a best buy or some other local place. I'm in Chicago.
    You should purchase a DSL modem from Best Buy or any local store, but I would recommend staying away from the Motorola 2210, which is AT&T's standard modem. Read more about the problems people are facing with the modem here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r217...-modem-is-junk

However, if you do decide to get the Motorola 2210, make sure to let it have enough ventilation. It appears that the small case doesn't allow enough ventilation so make sure to keep it fanned or at least well ventilated.

Reading from your description, you should just get whatever router is on sale. It seems that standard G is already good enough for what you want to do. I don't really think you need N at all since the extra speed will do you no good and is just a plain waste of money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast