Quantcast Netgear Router Keeps Resetting/Shutting off - Help?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Netgear Router Keeps Resetting/Shutting off - Help?

I have a Netgear router (WGR614v7) that for some reason keeps restarting itself. At first everything's good, then the indicator light for the wireless goes blank, and then the internet light turns orange (when all the lights are supposed to be green). I tried doing a hard reset and even doing different configurations, but none of them works, at least for a few minutes.

Can someone please help? I really need this thing to get up and running. Or is my router just old and needs to be replaced? It works every now and then, a day ago it lasted one whole day without having that problem. Help? Please?

1 hr late but moving fast

Default Re: Netgear Router Keeps Resetting/Shutting off - Help?

You could try to clean the router - there might be an overheating issue. Blow out the dust and see if that helps. You could also try a new 12VDC power supply - if there are fluctuations in the brick, it could cause the router to act up. Another thing you can try is upgrading the firmware.

If none of that helps it might be time to replace the router.
    If you have a problem, do everyone a huge favor: post the exact error message. Don't abbreviate or paraphrase.
    New to forums? You really should view this video!

XPS 15 L502x: Core i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000 + nVidia GeForce GT 540M , Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, 180GB Intel SSD, Windows 8 x64 Pro with Media Center

Lazy as the Day is Long

I'm going to cast my vote for replacing the router. For what a decent G MIMO router costs these days, it's not really cost-effective to spend too much time or money diagnosing a dying router.

Notebook Guru

Shyster, with the effort I put into fixing this thing, you are 100000% correct.

Kegobeer, I didn't know dirt can affect the router's performance. I have been keeping it in the corner on the floor, so hopefully that's the issue. Fingers crossed, trying it now.

Lazy as the Day is Long

Quote Originally Posted by MothKing View Post
    Shyster, with the effort I put into fixing this thing, you are 100000% correct.

Kegobeer, I didn't know dirt can affect the router's performance. I have been keeping it in the corner on the floor, so hopefully that's the issue. Fingers crossed, trying it now.
    It's possible that if dirt got into the housing, it could either be causing a short somewhere, or it could have clogged up the airflow to the point where the router was overheating. Routers can be very, very sensitive to heat - as the FiOS installer learned to his dismay when he stuck the new Actiontec router on top of the cable box in the TV cabinet we use, and promptly fried the router (the cabinet contains TV, DVD player, stereo, and a headless desktop, and can get a mite toasty at times).

Notebook Guru

Ah wow. Yeah well I guess dirt isn't the only issue now. It might be a heating problem? I noticed that whenever it gets too hot it drops the connection and doesn't want to connect until I unplug everything and plug it back in a few hours later. Whatever though, I'll get a new router I guess.

Does anyone know of a good, dependable router? I heard Linksys was good, and according to Newegg and Best Buy they have a 59$ one (29$ refurbished, so I might go with that) that has good reviews. Unfortunately it's only b/g but do I really need wireless n?

Mastershake

i like these:

http://www.buy.com/prod/netgear-wnr8...202558491.html

dirt cheap and can run ddwrt and are rock stable with ddwrt once installed.. if you get one and need help lmk..i highly recc these.. for the money they cant be beat
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/246530-how-flash-your-bios-dos-using-usb-stick.html new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1
    laptop lol which one... we have 8 currently at home..
    Meatwad you're up next, with your knock-knock.
    Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G. Drivin in my car, living like a star ice on my fingers and my toes, and im a taurus

Notebook Guru

Yeah Netgear routers are pretty cheap, and that's why I bought one personally. It was only 20$. But now I'm just weary about Netgear. According to some of those reviews, they're having that same disconnection problem, eventhough mine is an older version.

Mastershake

i have a dozen or more of these in use all refurbs and ive recc them TONS of times and i have never had a person come back and say anything bad.. now there is always a first .. but once you flash them with ddwrt they are rock solid imo.. especially this one.. i have over 14 systems all tied into one in my office and none drop out even when everyone is online at once.. along with routing the nim for fios guides and the 2 hp printers hooked up to the lans, as well as our 2 set top fios tuners for the office.. it handles it all fine.. i even bout a couple extra for down the line in case one ever does go out on me. for 26$ i cant complain...this has way better range than the linsys ones we swapped them out for the 150n models
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530 new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1
    laptop lol which one... we have 8 currently at home..
    Meatwad you're up next, with your knock-knock.
    Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G. Drivin in my car, living like a star ice on my fingers and my toes, and im a taurus

Notebook Guru

Yeah well it is pretty cheap. And that's always good, especially if it's dependable. What's DDWRT though? I don't like complicated set ups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast