Quantcast replacing internal WiFi cards?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default replacing internal WiFi cards?

very sure that I have a bad WiFi card.... used to work, but no longer. The card is the internal type that lies under the keyboard and clicks in like a SODIMM card. The current one is by Realtech, but I would assume that they are all standard connectors.

Anybody knows where would be a good place to find a replacement without paying an arm and a leg for it? I want to use an internal card for the build in antenna and also to minimize complexity with an external card that also sticks out.

Thanks in advance. MK.

iPhone

Default Re: replacing internal WiFi cards?

Here is an Intel 2915 Card for $39
    http://www.topmicrousa.com/inpr29wmneco.html
    And check this thread out for an Atheros Card for around $50. What makes these cards special is all in detail in this thread:
    Any interest in a group buy on Atheros WiFi Cards?

Nick
    -nickspohn
    Dell XPS M1710 (Review) | iPhone 3G (Review) | iPhone (Review)
    www.nickspohn.net

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nickspohn
    And check this thread out for an Atheros Card for around $50. What makes these cards special is all in detail in this thread:
    Any interest in a group buy on Atheros WiFi Cards?

Nick
    Ok, so i've ordered the Atheros to replace my Intel, Which Access Point/Router is the best to get, to match the Atheros AR5006XS features and capabilities...???

My priority is range, as i live in an old 3 story house, with lots of brick walls, etc in the way.

It being an ADSL modem as well is optional for me...

Cheers
    Rich.
    Last edited by topbanana; 22nd December 2005 at 01:22 AM.

iPhone

Maybe a Netgear MIMO router to have maximum performance. I really cant say what is all compatible or not, but since that card has up to 108 capabilities, i would say just look around then. Maybe check my guide for a complete list of some routers and let me know if you like any.
    -nickspohn
    Dell XPS M1710 (Review) | iPhone 3G (Review) | iPhone (Review)
    www.nickspohn.net

Notebook Enthusiast

Tks for the responses.

Don't think it can be "any 108MB" router or any "MIMO" branded router because they might use incompatible technologies ..... Atheros jumped the gun on MIMO before the 802.11n spec got finalized and brought out their own MIMO spec/technology. the Atheros AR5006XS is MIMO and marketed under the Atheros "Super G" brand name. You will need to find a wireless router that has that brand name to use with that mini-PCI card. The Netgear MIMO router is one (it is Super G branded). I believe TrendNet has another one.

No doubt future MIMO stuff will be marketed under the 802.11n umbrella and there will be compatibility between equipment from all vendors. I suspect at that time Atheros will bring out a fireware upgrade to bring Super G to be compatible with that, but that is not a gauranteed thing.

Hope somebody who follows this more closely than I do can comment on it, especially comment if Atheros will firmware upgrade their Super G to be 802.11n compliant. Will be an assurance to buy the Atheros MIMO stuff now and have the peace of mind that the equpiment will comply with future standards.

Notebook Guru

Cheers MK1992,

It's a bit tough trying to work out which router/AP/whatever is the one to get...

Are there any models that are good paired up with this little fella?

Trying to find one that says it's got an AR5006XS chip inside it is difficult...

It's all a bit confusing out there at the mo, with all these TLAs and funky names!

Anyone offer any recommendations?

Cheers
    Rich

Notebook Enthusiast

The "Super G" represents that particular Artheros technology. Anything with Super G should work together and nobody else can use that moniker. Just look for the "Super G" branded products.

In this case, the DLink-624M will work with this Athernos mini-PCI card. It spells clearly it is Super G.

Me, I am waiting a little bit to get something branded 802.11n that will work with all other 802.11n products. Remember the US Robotics versus ATT's K-56 and 56-Flex fiasco with the modems? This has the potential to be something like that. But my guess is Athernos will release firmware change soon to make sure that their Super G is 802.11n compliant and compatible too. The 802.11n spec was very recently finalized by the standards committee, so products will probably take 2 to 3 months to get out.

Notebook Deity

Yes, Atheros baby~!

The latest and greatest~!

I ordered one to replace my intel 2200b/g card and I can't wait

Cheers,
    Mike
    ASUS Z70Va | 15.4" WSXGA+ | Intel Pentium-M 760 | 1GB DDR2 667Mhz Apacer | 1GB DDR2 Corsair 667MHz | CD-RW/DVD | Western Digital Scorpio WD800VE 80Gb 5400RPM 8Mb Cache | ATI Mobility Radeon x700 128Mb DDR | Atheros AR5006XS A/B/G~

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoo
    Yes, Atheros baby~!

The latest and greatest~!

I ordered one to replace my intel 2200b/g card and I can't wait

Cheers,
    Mike
    So which router do you have to match this up with?

The AR5006XS is Super AG isn't it???
    So will any Super AG router do... but then there are always good ones and bad ones... anyone know a good one???

Cheers again
    Rich (Still baffled)