Quantcast Installing a third internal antenna for wifi card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knock 'em out!

Default Installing a third internal antenna for wifi card

I will be installing a third antenna in my laptop shortly to go with my new Intel 5300 wifi card. The problem is, I haven't really been able to find any sort of guide to help with the installation process. I suppose I can just route it around the body of the laptop and tape it down but that won't exactly give me the optimal reception/range. Does anyone have any good guides or perhaps some tips you can share with me before I do this?

1 hr late but moving fast

Default Re: Installing a third internal antenna for wifi card

Go to oxfordtec.com and buy an antenna. Thread it through any opening on the bottom of the laptop - works like a champ.
    If you have a problem, do everyone a huge favor: post the exact error message. Don't abbreviate or paraphrase.
    New to forums? You really should view this video!

XPS 15 L502x: Core i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000 + nVidia GeForce GT 540M , Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, 180GB Intel SSD, Windows 8 x64 Pro with Media Center

Knock 'em out!

I already bought a Tyco WLAN antenna. What do you mean by thread it through any opening on the bottom of the laptop? Should I wrap it around in a circle around the body of the laptop underneath the cover or should I stick it somewhere specific?

Moderately Boss

It depends on your notebook. Most notebooks thread the antenna wire to the LCD assembly for best reception.

Try wrapping the antenna into the wifi compartment and see what sort of reception you get first. You might not even need to extend it.
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Knock 'em out!

Awesome, thanks.

And how do I know which antenna is good? Which would you choose out of these?

OxfordTEC

or

Tyco

You already have the Tyco, so just use one of those two antennas in that package. You can just push the antenna through the hole next to the wifi card (where the other antennas go) until the entire length is inside the case.
    If you have a problem, do everyone a huge favor: post the exact error message. Don't abbreviate or paraphrase.

XPS 15 L502x: Core i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000 + nVidia GeForce GT 540M , Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, 180GB Intel SSD, Windows 8 x64 Pro with Media Center

Knock 'em out!

Well I'm actually upgrading 2 laptops this weekend so I'd need 2 antennas anyway. Should I get another Tyco or the one from OxfordTEC?

Didn't you get two antennas from that eBay order?

Knock 'em out!

Yeah good point. Still I'm curious, would the OxfordTEC be better?

I don't think so. All antennas are pretty much the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast