Quantcast local connection only

Closed Thread
    loitering

Default local connection only

hey all
    i am visiting with friends at the moment and connected to there wifi, for the first day all was working great and then for the next 2 days i have been getting a message saying ''local connection only'', it seems to be connected but whenever i try to access the net i get a unable to connect to internet message.
    this morning when i turned on the pc i have a new message saying'' local and internet''
    and i can access the net, it seems alittle random, so if anyone has any solutions to this problem id love to know about them.
    thanks in advance
    M17xR2, i7-740QM, Crossfirex HD5870, 6gb Ram, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) RGBLED, 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Combo Drive - Razer Mamba 4g (2012), Razer Megalodon 7.1 headphones
    please visit me HERE to see my reviews for
    *BF Bad Company 2 - *Tombraider Underworld - *The Last Remnant* - Sacred 2 Fallen Angel - *Titan Quest - *Company of Heroes - *Dead Space - *NFS Shift - *Dragonage origins - *Dead Space 2* - *Mass Effect 2 - *Two Worlds 2* - *Rift - The Witcher 2 -

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: local connection only

Whenever you get local connection only, try diagnosing it and Reset the network adapter. It occurs kinda randomly for me as well, but resetting or a system restart fixes it.

BBQ Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Whenever you get local connection only, try diagnosing it and Reset the network adapter. It occurs kinda randomly for me as well, but resetting or a system restart fixes it.
    This is Vista problem . It sometimes helps if you reboot the whole setup. Renewing the adapter won't work all the times.

loitering

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    ive tryed diagnosing it with all the options windows makes avalible but it does nothing, i think i even tryed to reset the adaptor and still no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
    This is Vista problem . It sometimes helps if you reboot the whole setup. Renewing the adapter won't work all the times.
    ok so there arnt any drivers or something windows has released to address this issue, its a real pain as its a gamble if i can get online or not.
    what do you mean by ''reboot the whole setup'' could you please talk me through it, im a newbi to pcs thanks.
    M17xR2, i7-740QM, Crossfirex HD5870, 6gb Ram, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) RGBLED, 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Blu-ray Combo Drive - Razer Mamba 4g (2012), Razer Megalodon 7.1 headphones
    *BF Bad Company 2 - *Tombraider Underworld - *The Last Remnant* - Sacred 2 Fallen Angel - *Titan Quest - *Company of Heroes - *Dead Space - *NFS Shift - *Dragonage origins - *Dead Space 2* - *Mass Effect 2 - *Two Worlds 2* - *Rift - The Witcher 2 -

BBQ Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mtness View Post
    ive tryed diagnosing it with all the options windows makes avalible but it does nothing, i think i even tryed to reset the adaptor and still no luck.

ok so there arnt any drivers or something windows has released to address this issue, its a real pain as its a gamble if i can get online or not.
    what do you mean by ''reboot the whole setup'' could you please talk me through it, im a newbi to pcs thanks.

Well...I had this problem quite often with a crappy old wifi router. Updating to the latest INTEL drivers helped but the prob is still there. My NETGEAR never did this sort of thing with my u6. This is a Vista issue because it has some new "innovative" features that old products simply do not support them. I mean, you buy a 30 euro 54Mbit Wi-fi router and you'll have constant drops in battery saving mode because it does not support vista saving options. Also this local thingie mabob...

By reboot the whole set-up I mean:

1. Modem+Router turn them off and wait 1 minute.
    2. Laptop/pc.

Monkeymod

Quote Originally Posted by mtness View Post
    hey all
    i am visiting with friends at the moment and connected to there wifi, for the first day all was working great and then for the next 2 days i have been getting a message saying ''local connection only'', it seems to be connected but whenever i try to access the net i get a unable to connect to internet message.
    this morning when i turned on the pc i have a new message saying'' local and internet''
    and i can access the net, it seems alittle random, so if anyone has any solutions to this problem id love to know about them.
    thanks in advance
    Try to do a ipconfig release and ipconfig renew.

"Nothing is free but ignorance"

IFL90 15.4" WSXGA+, T7700 4GB RAM, HD 160GB, BT, WiFi, Vista Business, FP.

BBQ Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessman View Post
    Try to do a ipconfig release and ipconfig renew.
    It does not work all the time. It will reconnect and give only local access.

loitering

Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
    Well...I had this problem quite often with a crappy old wifi router. Updating to the latest INTEL drivers helped but the prob is still there. My NETGEAR never did this sort of thing with my u6. This is a Vista issue because it has some new "innovative" features that old products simply do not support them. I mean, you buy a 30 euro 54Mbit Wi-fi router and you'll have constant drops in battery saving mode because it does not support vista saving options. Also this local thingie mabob...

By reboot the whole set-up I mean:

1. Modem+Router turn them off and wait 1 minute.
    2. Laptop/pc.
    ok thanks for the ideas ill gve them a try and get back to you with the results.
    thanks

Notebook Consultant

loitering

Quote Originally Posted by w500? View Post
    well an update, still havent found a solution to this problem, ive tryed everything i can find to resolve this issue, its quite frustrating , as im with friends for two months so dont want to buy a new router, the only way i have been able to get it working since the last time four days ago has been to restore the laptop to that date, then the connection works fantastically.
    anyway, doesnt look like theres much i can do about it, thanks for every ones help. takecare