Quantcast Problem Trying to Connect Second Laptop to Linksys Router

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Problem Trying to Connect Second Laptop to Linksys Router

Ok, I just bought a WRT110 the other day because it was affordable and I finally got my new lap top and figured I'd probably need something to support all the bandwidth I plan to be using. Before I was using a beat up WRT54G V8 and the day I got my lap top everything was fine, I'd connect, my girlfriend would connect and we could both browse the net just fine.

My problem is this, I set up the new router and everything was going good, then my girlfriend turns on her lap top and then the connection dies. I have a Dell XPS M1530 with the 1505 wireless N card by Dell. She has a Sony Vaio not sure what it is but I'm pretty sure it has a wireless G card. I read that the WRT110 was supposed to be good for places where both types of wireless exist side by side but for some reason her computer seems to bring everything to a halt and I have no idea why. Its not a bandwidth problem because I had the computer sitting idle and all she was trying to do was connect. The router is set up to a desktop as well and that was also idle.

I don't think its a N and G incompatibility since they were both working fine with the WRT54G (she was even playing a game and didn't seem affected when I connected). Any kind of insight would be helpful, sorry if theres already a thread like this but I'm about to go to work and don't have much time I'll be able to check in on the thread on my phone though, thanks in advance.

I am the walrus

Default Re: Problem Trying to Connect Second Laptop to Linksys Router

What do you mean dies. Dies permanently, or loses connection temporarily?

Is the router in mixed mode or did you set it to Wireless N? Wireless G?
    A desperate man for desperate times

Martian Notebook Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Digitus View Post
    Ok, I just bought a WRT110 the other day because it was affordable and I finally got my new lap top and figured I'd probably need something to support all the bandwidth I plan to be using. Before I was using a beat up WRT54G V8 and the day I got my lap top everything was fine, I'd connect, my girlfriend would connect and we could both browse the net just fine.

My problem is this, I set up the new router and everything was going good, then my girlfriend turns on her lap top and then the connection dies. I have a Dell XPS M1530 with the 1505 wireless N card by Dell. She has a Sony Vaio not sure what it is but I'm pretty sure it has a wireless G card. I read that the WRT110 was supposed to be good for places where both types of wireless exist side by side but for some reason her computer seems to bring everything to a halt and I have no idea why. Its not a bandwidth problem because I had the computer sitting idle and all she was trying to do was connect. The router is set up to a desktop as well and that was also idle.

I don't think its a N and G incompatibility since they were both working fine with the WRT54G (she was even playing a game and didn't seem affected when I connected). Any kind of insight would be helpful, sorry if theres already a thread like this but I'm about to go to work and don't have much time I'll be able to check in on the thread on my phone though, thanks in advance.
    He's right - we need more information on just what "my girlfriend turns on her lap top and then the connection dies" means exactly.

First thing you should do is to reconnect the other router to eliminate your girlfriend's adapter as a possible problem. Electronics have a nasty habit of having problems right when you do something else, making you chase something you're sure is the problem cause when in fact it's something totally different and unrelated.

Second, if you haven't already done so, tell her to delete the connection profile she used for the other router and to make a new one. Some people try and use the same connection profile and wonder why it won't work.

Assuming that the dying connection reference isn't complete overall wireless death, there are some things you can check. Gerry is right in that you should check the Wireless Mode - it should be set to Mixed mode when you're using devices with different wireless standards.

Compatiblity isn't an issue - B, N and G devices both use 2.4ghz as a wireless frequency. The only difference with N (aside from the speed) is that it uses 5ghz (wireless A) as an overlap (MIMO) frequency to get extended range and performance. Dual-Band N systems let you access and use both frequencies.

Your girlfriend's notebook is probably using an Intel adapter - you can check it by looking at her Dev Manager. Still, I use both in my HDX without any problem - though my Intel is an AGN adapter.

The easy way around the problem is to get a USB adapter for her system (or a PCMCIA if she has one instead of an Express) or media adapter if portability / power isn't an issue. Much faster speeds with a gaming adapter, but you have to plug it in.

One obvious question since you've switched access points is whether or not she's using a firewall or not - if so, if she hasn't added the new router on to her "good" list, she won't get a connection.

Another possibility is one that is actually more common than you might think. If you haven't entered a unique SSID into your router and are broadcasting it, or are using the default "Linksys" SSID, it's easier than you think to try and connect to a neighboring network with the same default SSID and wonder why it won't connect, especially if it needs a key.

Speaking of keys - If you've got WPA or WEP enabled, try turning it off and see if she can connect. Encrypted security on N devices has caused problems in different areas, which is why I use MAC Filtering instead.
    Primarily of the Ancient School of A/D PFM -Training by U.S. Submarine Navy, HP & NASA

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 Dragon Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz, 8gb DDR2 RAM
    512MB 8800M GTS | 20.1" 1080p | 2x320gb SATA | BD-ROM | VU 64 | Adobe CS6 Master Collection

Linksys Dual-Band N Network | WikiAnswers.com Supervisor

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not including all the info. I was trying to be as thourough as I could in 5 minutes lol. But when I say connection dies I mean complete wireless death until she shuts off her computer or puts it to sleep. I was on my comp my brother was playing a halo 3 online on the 360 and she turns her computer on then everyone is disconnected. Even the desk top which is connected by the ethernet cable is unable to go online. I tried connecting her laptop to the router itself and then turning pff her wireless and it still wouldn't connect to the internet. I can't check her card now because I'm still at work but I'm pretty sure it was an intel card when I had checked the device manager.

I'll double check and make sure my router is set to dual mode I think I might have it on auto. I just think its strange that her computer could possibly have that effect. Then again it could be something else entirely.

Notebook Consultant

So she has vista right and you have xp, right?

Notebook Enthusiast

she has vista and i have vista also. mine is home premium 64bit hers is 32. also in casse its relevant i have avast antivirus and she has avg

Eat.My.Shorts

You might want to try changing her Wireless Adapter's Channel Number. In Device Manager under the Network Adapters section, right click the Wireless Card and browse through the Advanced tab and look for anything that mentions Wireless Channel Number. It might be set to 11; try a different channel, like 6 or something.

Restart the computer

If that doesn't work then I would log into the Router's config. pages and make sure it's set to Mixed mode as gerry mentioned and also try a different Channel number on the Router itself as well.

HP ML110G6 Server:
    Intel Xeon X3440 @ 2.53GHz | 16GB DDR3 Mem. | (1)500GB HDD (3)250GB HDDs in Software RAID5 | Windows Server 2012 Standard

Envy 14 Beats:
    Intel Core i5 560M @ 2.67GHz (32nm) | 8GB DDR3 Mem. | Crucial M4 120GB SSD | *BrightView* 1366x768 LCD | Windows 8 Enterprise x64

Notebook Enthusiast

Ok so I got home and realized I hadn't tried doing this the other way around and turned off my laptop and then connected on my gf's and she was able to connect this and like I predicted turning on my computer took out the wireless connection and the desktops wired (to the router) connection. I think it might be a router setting issue but I can't be sure. I'll try messing around with a few more things before I go to sleep, its 5:30 am

I am the walrus

If connecting a wireless device kills the wired lan, you have got to have a router issue. A wireless connection should have no impact on the wired.

Check the event viewer for the computers that are disconnected and see the results.

What is the gateway in ipconfig whenyou are connected?

I would like to try disabling dhcp and setting up the machines ip addresses manually for a moment to see if that makes the problem goes away,

The only possible impact a wireless laptop coming on can have on a network with wired devices that I can thnk of off the top of my head is it causes a master browser election...that should not kill the entire network
    A desperate man for desperate times

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gerryf19 View Post
    If connecting a wireless device kills the wired lan, you have got to have a router issue. A wireless connection should have no impact on the wired.

Check the event viewer for the computers that are disconnected and see the results.

What is the gateway in ipconfig whenyou are connected?

I would like to try disabling dhcp and setting up the machines ip addresses manually for a moment to see if that makes the problem goes away,

The only possible impact a wireless laptop coming on can have on a network with wired devices that I can thnk of off the top of my head is it causes a master browser election...that should not kill the entire network
    Yea I know its weird. Weirder still is the problem doesn't go away when I log off or turn off the wireless adapter, I have to physically shut down the computer. I'm starting to think this is some kind of firewall defect in the router itself but I don't know very much about these things in particular. I might just give up and buy a completely different brand later this afternoon. How can I check the event viewer and how do I manually set up a machines IP after I disable DHCP? Also on this router I'm not sure where I'm able to set it to mixed if I can even do so, It didn't seem to be under wireless settings.

Hm, scratch that shut down part. After turning off the adapter I just have to restart the router and it broadcasts again
    Last edited by Digitus; 13th November 2008 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast