Quantcast Intel 3945ABG and promiscuous mode...how?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default Intel 3945ABG and promiscuous mode...how?

I have an HP nc8430 with an Intel 3945ABG wireless card and I can't figure out how to use Wireshark/winpcap in promiscuous mode. I make sure "Promiscuous Mode" is selected in the capture settings for Wireshark, but it seems to just ignore the option. It doesn't crash or anything, it just doesn't use promiscuous mode.

I have tried:
    - Upgrading to the latest driver from Intel
    - I've upgraded to the latest versions of Wireshark and winpcap

Nothing has worked. Any other suggestions?

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Intel 3945ABG and promiscuous mode...how?

The 3945 does not support promiscuous mode.

Notebook Guru

Do you have a reference for that so I can confirm?

Notebook Guru

Nobody else has an answer?

Lazy as the Day is Long

Quote Originally Posted by epp_b View Post
    Nobody else has an answer?
    Got Google?

You need to have a particular version (or higher) of an Intel software installed. Intel discusses the issue on page 13 of Intel Doc Managing Wireless Clients with the Administrator Tool:
    4 Promiscuous Mode Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software v10.5 supports new feature called promiscuous mode. In a network, promiscuous mode allows a network device to intercept and read each network packet that arrives in its entirety. Sniffers operate with the network card/driver in this mode to be able to capture all packets. Packets can be captured and saved for analysis in order to monitor network usage or activity.

Independent Software Vendor (ISV) applications and the operating system (OS) use promiscuous mode to monitor Wireless LAN network performance. Promiscuous mode allows a network adapter to capture and read layer 2 packets, IEEE 802.11 data, management, control, and error frames. It also includes unicast, multicast, and broadcast packets. The captured packets can be passed up to an application for network monitoring and analysis. Microsoft Windows 2000* and Microsoft Windows XP*, Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software v10.5 supports ISV promiscuous mode, i.e. support for ISV sniffer application operating on top of Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter.

The ISV promiscuous mode is currently supported by AirMagnet* sniffer.

Note: This feature is not enabled with the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG and Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG
    Network Connection hardware.
    The AirMagnet Survey 4.0 Patch Release Notes also have this to say about enabling promiscuous mode on the 3945ABG:
    Intel 3945 Associated Promiscuous Mode Supported This feature of the Intel 3945 wireless cards allows AirMagnet Survey to monitor frames and packets in the wireless network while still remaining associated to an access point. Thus, users can conduct surveys on the network while still connected to it, enabling them to work with network files or use an internet connection while doing so.

Note: Associated Promiscuous mode will only work with Intel 3945 adapters using version 10.5.0.3 or higher of the Intel PROSet Wireless software. To enable Associated Promiscuous mode:

1. Click the Media Type drop-down box.
    2. Select A/P Mode.
    If that don't whet your whistle, check out any of the numerous other items brought forth from the depths of the www by the Google search linked above (or down here too, for that matter ).

Notebook Guru

Trust me, I've spent plenty of time on Google looking for a solid answer to this Thanks for the detailed info.

I installed the latest driver and wireless manager, but Wireshark still can't capture packets in promiscuous mode. I don't want to use this "AirMagnet" program that I'd have buy.
    Last edited by epp_b; 10th May 2008 at 02:57 AM.

Hi, Current I am using Intel 3945 ABG.
    And also, I am using intel prowireless software version 11.5.0.0
    However, there is no media type drop down.
    Anyone can help?