Quantcast reg fios and the use of the motorola nim 100

Closed Thread
    Mastershake

Default reg fios and the use of the motorola nim 100

there is some misinformation from verizon tech support and actually i was misinformed by LEVEL 2 TECH... on how this needs to be hooked up. ive seen numerous posts on the web where a person wanted to use their own router instead of the actiontech and verizon provided a nim but still could not get the nim to provide guides and vod, there is a simple and seemingly stupid reason for this.

i went over the motorola instructions for their nim box. the ONE MISTAKE every single tech i spoke with for 3 DAYS made and i could not get giudes or vod is they had me as well as their own tech hooking the moca output (rg6) for the set top boxes to the cable out side of the nim. THIS IS INCORRECT IF... they did not run a straight shot to the nim BEFORE THE STB'S. in other words the rg6 would come from the ont to the nim then out to the boxes through whatever splitters you have.

if the nim is hooked up in line with the stb's coming off one of the splitters they are using for either the main run or a stb it needs to only have a connection in the cable in side NOTHING GETS HOOKED TO THE OUT SIDE AT ALL.. and you give the ethernet port the cable from a lan port on your whatever brand router. this fixes any issues with the nim people seem to have when hooking it up. its a stupid mistake and i can not see how verizon did not know this. i had three field techs as well as 2 level 2 techs on the phone swear to me i was wrong and it has to 150% be hooked to the out side of the nim. again not correct. i have it working perfect now and i have guides and vod no issues at all..

not sure how many of you are going this way using a nim i mean but imo that actiontec was a pos and i def would not use it myself. hope this helps anyone out there or anyone that searches google and this pops up. any questions lmk.
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/246530-how-flash-your-bios-dos-using-usb-stick.html new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1
    laptop lol which one... we have 8 currently at home..
    Meatwad you're up next, with your knock-knock.
    Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G. Drivin in my car, living like a star ice on my fingers and my toes, and im a taurus

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: reg fios and the use of the motorola nim 100

We have the Actiontec-Internet only thought (Comcast has all of my area under it's collective thumb) and I have to agree, it's horrid! I thought that it was my desktop's wireless adapter until I saw just how many were having wireless issues. My connection will pretty much be good for a period then drop at odd, random intervals, sometimes only recovering by power-cycling. Too bad my parents don't notice anything-they use a desktop that's directly connected.
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Motorola Droid 1 | Motorola Droid 3

PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

Mastershake

look on ebay and find a nim100 from motorola than eliminate the actiontec or set up the actiontec as a simple nim or bridge and then use another router like buffalo or linksys..
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530 new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1
    Meatwad make the money see. Meatwad get the honeys G. Drivin in my car, living like a star ice on my fingers and my toes, and im a taurus

Notebook Virtuoso

u know, I might just do that, thanks!
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Motorola Droid 1 | Motorola Droid 3

PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

Mastershake

lmk if you the instructions
    See my guide on how to make a bootable usb stick: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530 new updated one will be here soon: http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...87&postcount=1

Notebook Virtuoso

If you not using there provided router (dlink) with Version flashed firmware, you are also missing a couple of services. These are port forward L2TP (UDP 1-65535) and TFTP to the nem box. The tech that did mine knew what he was doing. But he did not know what was being done inside the dlink provide router. I had a neighbor that let me look at his router so I was able to retrive the needed info.
    Apple MacBook Pro 15", dual boot
    Netgear FVS-338 8-port VPN router,
    Dlink DGS-1216T GigE switch,
    Netgear WNDR3700v2 used as AP
    3 Snap4500 NAS units

Mastershake

i have the actiontec in hand so all i have to do is plug it in and see whats on it

Notebook Virtuoso

The actiontec uses bridges between the coax and internet, all part of the firewall. It has alot of services listed as most good routers do. They have since moved to a different model of the actiontec router. You will need to look at the Security Section FW Rules to find out what is in use.

You will also discover that each box set has it's on IP address.
    Apple MacBook Pro 15", dual boot
    Netgear FVS-338 8-port VPN router,
    Dlink DGS-1216T GigE switch,
    Netgear WNDR3700v2 used as AP
    3 Snap4500 NAS units