Quantcast MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread - Page 68

+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 411 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Like Tree818Likes

Thread: MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Your reports that the wifi card is disconnecting with GS60 heat is a severe problem

Based on these repeating posts the following will help us get MSI's attention to resolve this (not sure how):
    1. If you own a GS60 - use MSI's customer support even if you don't experience the problem. You may start experiencing it when your fans get a bit dirty with time
    2. If you pre-ordered (like me) consider reaching out and canceling the order or demanding an inquiry by the reseller to MSI
    3. MSI on facebook will hear about it from me, any social media where MSI can be receiving feedback on
    4. Those who can reach out to MSI HQ should do it

Such design flaw is a deal breaker for many of us. No intense work or gaming on Wifi ? I'm not sure a firmware is enough to fix this.
    Dor
    Last edited by dorj1234; 15th April 2014 at 11:51 AM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by PALin00 View Post
    I think you are dead on with that heat affecting wifi comment and I fear this could be design flaw.

If you check some disassembly video (for example this one from GenTechPC), you'll notice that wifi card is located right under one of the cooling fans (I think it's the one attached to CPU, but I'm not 100% sure so feel free to correct me) and since it has operating temperature range 0°C - 80°C this could be a problem. You can see that maximum CPU temperatures under load in this video are ranging from 75°C - 82°C for individual cores, 81°C for the CPU as a whole and 75°C for GPU. If you factor in possible variance in temperature it can jump to let's say 85°C and 80°C maximum for CPU and GPU respectively. Now I don't know how good are these cooling fans thermally insulated and how much heat is radiating around them when they are under maximum load, but if it's not so good, then it could really affect that wifi card, at least in a way that it's operating very close to its maximum operating temperature.

I think this is a fairly reasonable assumption. In the case that you think that I'm too far off base, please let me know why. However if you agree, do you perhaps know a way, how to thermally insulate that cooling fan, so the radiating heat from it doesn't affect that wifi card so much?
    you are reading too much into that

the problem occurs BEFORE the CPU and GPU heat up to 70+ C, it happens early on just as the GPU is activated for a game and even before the GPU fans start to spin up. so the problem isn't after gaming for a few minutes when everything heats up, it's when everything is STARTING for gaming that the WIFI signal drops out

that's why i thought it might be a power consumption issue, like the GPU + fans were taking power away from the WIFI card thus losing signal strength, or possibly the GPU frequency is causing some kind of WIFI signal interference as it spins up, but it isn't the heat that is the issue.

with the wifi extender i have had no problems, so maybe it really is an issue with the 7260 AC card since googling it brings up all kinds of problems with it

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by colonels View Post
    you are reading too much into that

the problem occurs BEFORE the CPU and GPU heat up to 70+ C, it happens early on just as the GPU is activated for a game and even before the GPU fans start to spin up. so the problem isn't after gaming for a few minutes when everything heats up, it's when everything is STARTING for gaming that the WIFI signal drops out

that's why i thought it might be a power consumption issue, like the GPU + fans were taking power away from the WIFI card thus losing signal strength, or possibly the GPU frequency is causing some kind of WIFI signal interference as it spins up, but it isn't the heat that is the issue.

with the wifi extender i have had no problems, so maybe it really is an issue with the 7260 AC card since googling it brings up all kinds of problems with it
    Well, to be honest, I don't remember anyone posting when exactly the wifi starts to have troubles with signal strength, but it could be just poor memory on my side I remember someone posting a comment that when he started gaming, wifi signal dropped quite rapidly and this is what came to me as a possible reason, but you certainly could be right that I'm reading too much into it. Your power consumption and signal interference ideas aren't that bad. I quite like them, as a possibilities, but can't really express an opinion on them, since I lack the knowledge regarding those issues.

hfm
    Notebook Deity

Could try putting a small heat sink on it with conductive adhesive and see if that fixes it. Obviously some risk but that might rule it out.

I suppose also pointing a hair drier or heat gun at it while the laptop is idle might rule out power issues.
    Razer Blade 14 512GB (2014)
    Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13 | 256GB PCIe SSD | 16GB RAM

FOR SALE: Sammy NP700G7C-S01US | i7-3610QM | GTX 675M 2GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | 17.3" 120Hz panel | 2x 750GB | Intel 6235 WiFi | Blu-Ray | Windows 7 Home Premium

pc's and planes

I've pushed the CPU/GPU hard for hours while playing and benchmarking and don't have any WiFi issues. I'm guessing those that do are related to the WiFi card itself either driver or hardware, maybe a loose antenna, or even router/access point related.

If this was a design flaw due to heat we all would have the problem. I use the WiFi exclusively for network connection and haven't run into this in a week and a half of constant work and play with the notebook.

I think its a bit premature to start blasting MSI publicly over this
    MSI GS60-2PC Ghost - i7-4700HQ, NVidia 860m GTX, 16GB, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD
    MSI GT60-20D - i7-4700MQ, NVidia 780m GTX, 16GB, Crucial m4 256GB SSD, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, BLU-RAY
    Microsoft Surface Pro 2 256GB/8GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Asus G46VW - Sold, Alienware M11x - Sold, Asus G73JH - Sold, Asus G51VW - Sold, Toshiba X205-SLi1 - Sold, Sager 4780 - Idle

Notebook Consultant

Here's a link documenting Intel 7260 card problems
    wireless slowdowns

I believe my problem is that I have the 7260 AC card and my router is a 2.4ghz N band router lol. My solution was to use a netgear wireless extender that took the 2.4ghz signal and rebroadcast it as a 5ghz signal. My gs60 connects and stays good 95% of the time.

I suppose I could've just changed my router to an AC dual band but then I'd have to configure all my printers and home video ip cameras too so the extender was a simpler option.

pc's and planes

wireless slowdowns

I believe my problem is that I have the 7260 AC card and my router is a 2.4ghz N band router lol. My solution was to use a netgear wireless extender that took the 2.4ghz signal and rebroadcast it as a 5ghz signal. My gs60 connects and stays good 95% of the time.
    That link makes perfect sense, and indicates this is inherent to this line of Intel WiFi cards... You'd think WiFi cards would be reliable by now ha. I've got a Marvel card in my Surface Pro 2 that is terrible on 2.4ghz bands, the Killer cards are buggy, and apparently so are the Intel cards!

For what it's worth, I connect to 5.0ghz and haven't noticed any issues.
    MSI GT60-20D - i7-4700MQ, NVidia 780m GTX, 16GB, Crucial m4 256GB SSD, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, BLU-RAY
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Asus G46VW - Sold, Alienware M11x - Sold, Asus G73JH - Sold, Asus G51VW - Sold, Toshiba X205-SLi1 - Sold, Sager 4780 - Idle

Notebook Geek

I see that MSI has shrunk numpad

Can someone measured the width of the numpad, how many millimeters is it from the edge of the No. 1 (left) key to the edge of the No. 3 key (right - just numbers, no enter and +)?

thanks

Notebook Enthusiast

wireless slowdowns

I suppose I could've just changed my router to an AC dual band but then I'd have to configure all my printers and home video ip cameras too so the extender was a simpler option.
    Well, I think that kind of settles it then. It's the wifi module itself that is most likely somehow iffy Thanks for that.

On the other note, would one of you guys that already has his GS60 be willing to measure the palm rest? I would like to know, how much smaller it is compared to my notebook and I couldn't really find it's proportions.

Thanks!

pc's and planes

Quote Originally Posted by axel7 View Post
    I see that MSI has shrunk numpad

Can someone measured the width of the numpad, how many millimeters is it from the edge of the No. 1 (left) key to the edge of the No. 3 key (right - just numbers, no enter and +)?

thanks
    NUMPAD works great, just spent the entire afternoon wrapping up my corporate taxes (FUN FUN ), would have been a nightmare without it! That's a big reason why I didn't go with the 14" Razer.

From the far left of the 1 key to the far right of the 3 key mine measures 45mm, total NUMPAD width being 64mm.

Quote Originally Posted by PALin00 View Post
    Well, I think that kind of settles it then. It's the wifi module itself that is most likely somehow iffy Thanks for that.

On the other note, would one of you guys that already has his GS60 be willing to measure the palm rest? I would like to know, how much smaller it is compared to my notebook and I couldn't really find it's proportions.

Thanks!
    Glad you guys asked measuring questions at the same time haha, had tape measure out to measure NUMPAD for axel...

From the edge of notebook to the bottom row of keys, it is 83mm deep. Width is 388mm, with the track pad measuring 105mm x 70mm located 95mm from the left hand side.

Did want to add another thought on the screen quality. After using the notebook for a week and a half now, I have really grown to appreciate the screen. It is crisp and bright, with very good viewing angles... after spending all afternoon in Excel and Word, very satisfied from a productivity stand point with the screen and keyboard.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3