Quantcast [MSI GT683/MS-16F2] Any GFX upgrade ? - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Notebook Prophet

Default Re: [MSI GT683/MS-16F2] Any GFX upgrade ?

I'm looking to challenge one person only.... that is Clevo.

Sorry if it came off differently, it only seems like there has been a lack of consideration for MSI laptops in the past and over consideration for the upgradeability of Clevos.

I need to start a thread in the Clevo forum. I think its very sad that because of the history of Clevos, many people are expecting to upgrade to AMD 7000 or Nvidia 600 later on and it wont be quite so easy if possible at all. While these MSIs are really built to run with ANY card.

I have done quite a few tests of the same cards on my Clevo and MSI. There has been nothing that doesn't work on the MSI and countless that don't work on the Clevo. Obviously there is nothing really bad about it yet for Clevo users since the next gen graphics cards aren't out yet.
    Its not just some superstition, thats for sure.

Anyway just trying to spread the word about this wherever there may be misconceptions or old conventions. Everyone thinks that Clevo is the top for some reason, now even their cooling is not any better.

The eye is watching you

I certainly hope for the 7000 upgrade but i wont hold my breath .

Hopefully though.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi Guys, my first post.

I'm sorry for replying to an old thread but I though it was the best place.

Anyway I bought myself an MSI GT683 and while searching around I found this thread and upon reading the first post I went ahead and bought myself an i7 2820QM from eBay. I probably shouldn't have just jumped right in at the deep end, but it was going for such a good price I couldn't resist.

Anyway it's been sitting there for about 2 days now because I am scared about voiding my warranty without having plenty of information first. Like I said, I jumped straight into the deep end.

This is my GT 683 is an i5-2430M with GTX 560M.

Am I going to have any trouble swapping the 2 chips? Is there any guides so that I can do it as quickly and efficiently as possible? I am capable with computers I have built and customized plenty of desktops but never a laptop so any help is appreciated. Also be nice if there was a way to get that warranty sticker off and keep it good.

Thanks for any help. I've been stalling on eBay feedback as of course I need to test the thing before I go leaving great feedback lol.

Alan

EDIT: Sorry, little more information. Some dumps from CPU-Z 1.60

CPU-Z HTML Dump | CPU-Z TXT Dump

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by FiReStOrM^; 16th April 2012 at 01:02 AM.

Notebook Deity

The CPU swap should be easy for you to do. You can use this video for an idea of what it will take, 1:30-2:18 in the video.
    MSI Notebook GT680 --- Disassembling - YouTube

One of the advantages of owning an MSI, end users should be able to access just about everything to service or replace.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Heihachi_1337 View Post
    The CPU swap should be easy for you to do. You can use this video for an idea of what it will take, 1:30-2:18 in the video.
    MSI Notebook GT680 --- Disassembling - YouTube

One of the advantages of owning an MSI, end users should be able to access just about everything to service or replace.
    Ah thanks man, that's awesome! I knew MSI's were upgradable, but I didn't know just how easily or highly customizable they were!!

That video also answered what would have been another question, where the second HDD lives as mine didn't come with RAID and the single 7200RPM drive is a massive bottleneck on such a powerful machine.

After swapping out the chip would I need a new BIOS or anything or would it all just work as is? While I'm here what kind of GFX upgrades can be as simple as swapping them out? This GTX 560M is nice but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks so much for your help.

BTW is there any way to get that warranty sticker off intact? The laptop is like a week old and voiding it's warranty and stripping out it's guts scares me.

Thanks again, you've been a massive help!

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by FiReStOrM^ View Post
    Ah thanks man, that's awesome! I knew MSI's were upgradable, but I didn't know just how easily or highly customizable they were!!

That video also answered what would have been another question, where the second HDD lives as mine didn't come with RAID and the single 7200RPM drive is a massive bottleneck on such a powerful machine.

After swapping out the chip would I need a new BIOS or anything or would it all just work as is? While I'm here what kind of GFX upgrades can be as simple as swapping them out? This GTX 560M is nice but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks so much for your help.

BTW is there any way to get that warranty sticker off intact? The laptop is like a week old and voiding it's warranty and stripping out it's guts scares me.

Thanks again, you've been a massive help!
    You shouldn't have to perform a BIOS flash for the upgraded CPU to my knowledge. It should work as is just fine as is.

You could upgrade your GPU on your own as well, but you will need to get the heatsink to go with it and you may need to get a larger AC adapter if you don't already have a 180W unit.
    Those laptops with similar chassis (16F2) were/are available with the GTX 570M and the GTX 580M, just make sure you get the correct card with that form factor.
    The video shows what needs to be done to remove your old card as well.

Concerning removing the warranty sticker, I don't think I can tell you anything about that.
    If you purchased it through a reseller, your laptop wouldn't have that decal on it as resellers are authorized to perform the upgrades.

Please be aware though that your upgrades will void the warranty, it may be better to leave it alone until your warranty is up.

Notebook Enthusiast

Any GFX upgrade would be well down the road anyway so that doesn't bother me right now.

I bought my laptop from a website - overclockers.co.uk.

View attached image. There is a screw under that sticker.

Completely agree with you about the warranty, problem is though I bought the CPU off eBay and still need to leave feedback so it of course has to be tested etc.

Like I said I just jumped straight in. I saw it for a fraction of the cost of a load of other listings and a few major online retailers (I paid 165 for it, other listings have it listed between 280 - 400, and a major retailer has it listed as 432).

Did i get a good deal? lol

Anyway thanks again for all your help. I LOVE this forum. Already found out I can overclock my laptop with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility! Although it doesn't let me change Memory settings or multipliers or anything like that, just the base MHz. Point is this site is full of information!

Cheers!

Alan

EDIT: BTW forgot to ask, how do I know what wattage my power unit is? All it says on it is:

Input: 100-240V ~ 2.25A -- 50-60Hz
    Output: 19V --- 9.5A

EDIT2: Haha, edited again to add it's model number. Anyway it's

Model ADP-180HB B

Does the 180 signify 180w?

Cheers

+1 rep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MSI_Warranty_Sticker.jpg  
    Last edited by FiReStOrM^; 16th April 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...

Notebook Retailer

19 x 9.5 = ......
    V x I = P
    Sales@PowerNotebooks.com | Phone: (US) 877-711-1777 - CALL US FOR NOTEBOOKREVIEW ACTIVE MEMBER DISCOUNTS

Custom Built Sager, MSI, PowerPro, ASUS and Alienware Laptop computers, and Custom Built Crown Desktop Computers
    ResellerRatings.com Customer Satisfaction Rating =
    10/10 Better Business Bureau A+ Rated

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Meaker View Post
    19 x 9.5 = ......
    V x I = P
    Ahahah, thanks. I never knew that. "V x I = P" =

+1 rep

EDIT: aww I have 0 rep left. So that's how it works Glad I at least had enough for Heihachi_1337

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by FiReStOrM^ View Post
    Any GFX upgrade would be well down the road anyway so that doesn't bother me right now.

I bought my laptop from a website - overclockers.co.uk.

View attached image. There is a screw under that sticker.

Completely agree with you about the warranty, problem is though I bought the CPU off eBay and still need to leave feedback so it of course has to be tested etc.

Like I said I just jumped straight in. I saw it for a fraction of the cost of a load of other listings and a few major online retailers (I paid 165 for it, other listings have it listed between 280 - 400, and a major retailer has it listed as 432).

Did i get a good deal? lol

Anyway thanks again for all your help. I LOVE this forum. Already found out I can overclock my laptop with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility! Although it doesn't let me change Memory settings or multipliers or anything like that, just the base MHz. Point is this site is full of information!

Cheers!

Alan

EDIT: BTW forgot to ask, how do I know what wattage my power unit is? All it says on it is:

Input: 100-240V ~ 2.25A -- 50-60Hz
    Output: 19V --- 9.5A

EDIT2: Haha, edited again to add it's model number. Anyway it's

Model ADP-180HB B

Does the 180 signify 180w?

Cheers
    It should be a 180W AC adapter according to the model number.

I am aware of the decal, I really just don't think I can advise you as to how to remove it and be able to re-apply it. That would probably be best left to another forum poster.

Concerning the price, given what you have I would say you got a pretty nice deal on that CPU.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast